• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best glue for sole leather?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a great deal on a pair of Lobb William IIs on B&S thanks to theoldadage and now all other shoes are ruined for me forever. However, there is a small piece of leather (maybe a mm in diameter, maybe 3 or 4 mm in length) hanging off the edge of the sole and I would like to glue it back down. Any thoughts on what sort of glue to use?

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
Please post photos so we can see exactly what is happening. You'll get the best advice that way.

jcc123

Reaction score
Use Barge shoe glue. It's what they use at the shoe repair shops. Rubbery, so it flexes.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The soles were channeled and hidden stitched. Sounds like the flap that's pulled back over the stitching peeled back. All purpose quick dry will do the trick.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.
The soles were channeled and hidden stitched. Sounds like the flap that's pulled back over the stitching peeled back. All purpose quick dry will do the trick.

That's what I thought at first, but it's on the very edge and not that wide. Looks like a small razor cut on the very edge. So any all-purpose quick drying glue will do? Also, is it true you guys refurbish JLs complete with beveled soles for around $200?

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
That's what I thought at first, but it's on the very edge and not that wide. Looks like a small razor cut on the very edge. So any all-purpose quick drying glue will do? Also, is it true you guys refurbish JLs complete with beveled soles for around $200?

Can you see the stitching under the cut?
We use Master's All Purpose.
The beveled waste, hidden stitched re-craft is $175.00. $200.00 would be the same job using JR soles and heels.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.
Can you see the stitching under the cut?
We use Master's All Purpose.
The beveled waste, hidden stitched re-craft is $175.00. $200.00 would be the same job using JR soles and heels.

No, you can not see stitching. It's just a little sliver off the very edge. I believe the stitching is farther in.
Great price on the recraft. Combined with what I've heard about the quality of your work, you will definitely be seeing my JLs and C&Js when the time comes. Thanks for all your advice on the forum.

PL92106

Reaction score
I just got a pair of Stuart's Choice captoes that I really like. Wore them for the first time today and they felt great. Problem is that when I got home, I noticed that on the left shoe, where the clutch pedal of my car might have slightly caught the sole, and on the entire front and on both sides of the right shoe the thin channeled sole is starting to separate (don't remember scraping the right shoe on the ground at all) to the point where I can see the stitching. I plan on calling Paul Stuart tomorrow to see what they recommend, but sounds like this is fairly common on channeled soles. Can I just use a tiny amount of Shoe Goo to glue it back together or would you all recommend against that? Thanks in advance!

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC Rider said do not use crazy glue.

PL92106

Reaction score
Thanks. Any thoughts on Shoe Goo? Maybe I should just take it to my local cobbler after talking to Paul Stuart.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not an expert, I just remembe reading a thread about this few month back. I think it started as someone asking how to fix a shoe that is making noises as one walk. I tried to search for "creaking shoes" as the topic the thread but had no luck.

It pretty much started as a specific question, regressed to the discussion of tradition vs modern, with healthy dose of insight tossed in. There was a segment where one person said he fixed his sole by injecting crazy glue, and Rider (or was it DFW) pretty much said it is a horrible idea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads