• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best French Cuff Shirts < $175?

Kaveman1

Reaction score
I am in search of quality french cuff shirts; spread collar.

I used to just go to Brooks Brothers; but, their quality is a disaster today; outside of the white collar-blue shirt most of their stuff looks like very cheap....shiny thread in edges and plackets.

Barneys, Saks, Bergdorf, Neiman used to carry nice house brands with classic spread colors and broadcloth. But, their stuff has gone off style...with no front plackets, pointy collars, and styles that get crushed in pressing machines of most cleaners.

I used to get British makes too like Hilditch & Key, no longer in USA; Turnbull & Asser (collar has weird crooked edge at end or Kilgour, French & Stanbury...but almost all are very strange colors (for clubbing?) fabrics (herringbone, royal oxford?).

Robert Talbott is like a sheet.

Used to love Sulka & Dunhill.

Only place I have had luck is Paul Stuart $145-195 with Sea Island white; and a Silky powder blue (not french blue) that is very old school. However, there stuff is very conservative.

Not a fan of custom made or online, as they always seem to shrink and your out $1000+ on 5 shirts that dont fit.

Im ready to pay $200 a shirt and cant find anything?

Is London my only choice for a classic windsor collar, cuff shirt?

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are ever in Los Angeles, visit Freddy Vandecasteele.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Can you not go bespoke for that price?

Kaveman1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
gosh... you are picky!!!

i wish i could give you a decent answer.

I know it sounds like that...but, looking for the classics.

-White
-Blue
-light Blue Stripe
-Pencil stripe
-Graph check
-Above with contrast collar

Very hard to find above in spread collar with 120s fabric

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think Ike behar might have a made to order program if you like the fit of their garment.

Check out herzfeld.
if not, to get that sort of assortment you need to have them made.

for 120/2 at that price , fabric will be from either turkey or india. no crime in that, but you won't get Italian fabric at that price.

the shirt store on 44th and vanderbilt might have something for you.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Can you not go bespoke for that price?
+1. Have you considered Nordstrom's Black Label MTM line? I believe they also have a HF MTM line.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
both of those are rather mediocre suggestions
Of course they are. The OP is so picky that there isn't much choice. I've seen 120s fabric with contrast spread collars available with both of those, hence the suggestion. Going bespoke would be the easiest and best way.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaveman1
I am in search of quality french cuff shirts; spread collar.

I used to just go to Brooks Brothers; but, their quality is a disaster today; outside of the white collar-blue shirt most of their stuff looks like very cheap....shiny thread in edges and plackets.

Barneys, Saks, Bergdorf, Neiman used to carry nice house brands with classic spread colors and broadcloth. But, their stuff has gone off style...with no front plackets, pointy collars, and styles that get crushed in pressing machines of most cleaners.

I used to get British makes too like Hilditch & Key, no longer in USA; Turnbull & Asser (collar has weird crooked edge at end or Kilgour, French & Stanbury...but almost all are very strange colors (for clubbing?) fabrics (herringbone, royal oxford?).

Robert Talbott is like a sheet.

Used to love Sulka & Dunhill.

Only place I have had luck is Paul Stuart $145-195 with Sea Island white; and a Silky powder blue (not french blue) that is very old school. However, there stuff is very conservative.

Not a fan of custom made or online, as they always seem to shrink and your out $1000+ on 5 shirts that dont fit.

Im ready to pay $200 a shirt and cant find anything?

Is London my only choice for a classic windsor collar, cuff shirt?

Hilditch & Key's semi annual sale is still on.
Some real bargains.

http://www.hilditchandkey.co.uk/shop/18/index.htm

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Ralph Lauren Purple Label discounted on eBay?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads