• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best French Cuff Shirts < $175?

Kaveman1

Reaction score
I am in search of quality french cuff shirts; spread collar.

I used to just go to Brooks Brothers; but, their quality is a disaster today; outside of the white collar-blue shirt most of their stuff looks like very cheap....shiny thread in edges and plackets.

Barneys, Saks, Bergdorf, Neiman used to carry nice house brands with classic spread colors and broadcloth. But, their stuff has gone off style...with no front plackets, pointy collars, and styles that get crushed in pressing machines of most cleaners.

I used to get British makes too like Hilditch & Key, no longer in USA; Turnbull & Asser (collar has weird crooked edge at end or Kilgour, French & Stanbury...but almost all are very strange colors (for clubbing?) fabrics (herringbone, royal oxford?).

Robert Talbott is like a sheet.

Used to love Sulka & Dunhill.

Only place I have had luck is Paul Stuart $145-195 with Sea Island white; and a Silky powder blue (not french blue) that is very old school. However, there stuff is very conservative.

Not a fan of custom made or online, as they always seem to shrink and your out $1000+ on 5 shirts that dont fit.

Im ready to pay $200 a shirt and cant find anything?

Is London my only choice for a classic windsor collar, cuff shirt?

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you not go bespoke for that price?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
gosh... you are picky!!!

i wish i could give you a decent answer.

Kaveman1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
gosh... you are picky!!!

i wish i could give you a decent answer.

I know it sounds like that...but, looking for the classics.

-White
-Blue
-light Blue Stripe
-Pencil stripe
-Graph check
-Above with contrast collar

Very hard to find above in spread collar with 120s fabric

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think Ike behar might have a made to order program if you like the fit of their garment.

Check out herzfeld.
if not, to get that sort of assortment you need to have them made.

for 120/2 at that price , fabric will be from either turkey or india. no crime in that, but you won't get Italian fabric at that price.

the shirt store on 44th and vanderbilt might have something for you.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Can you not go bespoke for that price?
+1. Have you considered Nordstrom's Black Label MTM line? I believe they also have a HF MTM line.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
+1. Have you considered Nordstrom's Black Label MTM line? I believe they also have a HF MTM line.

both of those are rather mediocre suggestions

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
both of those are rather mediocre suggestions
Of course they are. The OP is so picky that there isn't much choice. I've seen 120s fabric with contrast spread collars available with both of those, hence the suggestion. Going bespoke would be the easiest and best way.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaveman1
I am in search of quality french cuff shirts; spread collar.

I used to just go to Brooks Brothers; but, their quality is a disaster today; outside of the white collar-blue shirt most of their stuff looks like very cheap....shiny thread in edges and plackets.

Barneys, Saks, Bergdorf, Neiman used to carry nice house brands with classic spread colors and broadcloth. But, their stuff has gone off style...with no front plackets, pointy collars, and styles that get crushed in pressing machines of most cleaners.

I used to get British makes too like Hilditch & Key, no longer in USA; Turnbull & Asser (collar has weird crooked edge at end or Kilgour, French & Stanbury...but almost all are very strange colors (for clubbing?) fabrics (herringbone, royal oxford?).

Robert Talbott is like a sheet.

Used to love Sulka & Dunhill.

Only place I have had luck is Paul Stuart $145-195 with Sea Island white; and a Silky powder blue (not french blue) that is very old school. However, there stuff is very conservative.

Not a fan of custom made or online, as they always seem to shrink and your out $1000+ on 5 shirts that dont fit.

Im ready to pay $200 a shirt and cant find anything?

Is London my only choice for a classic windsor collar, cuff shirt?

Hilditch & Key's semi annual sale is still on.
Some real bargains.

http://www.hilditchandkey.co.uk/shop/18/index.htm

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Ralph Lauren Purple Label discounted on eBay?

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.