• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best for your money, price by price

JBMarce21

Reaction score
Can anyone make some suggestions going down the line in price? As a longtime reader, Gaziano and Girling (Edward Green, Alfred Sargent, John Lobb, etc) would likely be at the top at a $1,200 price range, crockett and jones somewhere around that $700 mark, and so on to allen edmonds at about $300. Obviously there's some range in between... I.E. how about Ferragamo Lavorazione originale at about $600? To boot new york's upper range at $400? etc etc.

JBMarce21

Reaction score
Also, if anyone has suggestions for someone in NYC as to where to get these shoes at a lesser price (century 21? Nordstrom rack? websites?) That would be great. Also, keep in mind that I much prefer the narrower, more fashion forward last-- Allen Edmonds, while inexpensive and well made, is not exactly sexy

Snedley

Reaction score
Can anyone make some suggestions going down the line in price? As a longtime reader, Gaziano and Girling (Edward Green, Alfred Sargent, John Lobb, etc) would likely be at the top at a $1,200 price range, crockett and jones somewhere around that $700 mark, and so on to allen edmonds at about $300. Obviously there's some range in between... I.E. how about Ferragamo Lavorazione originale at about $600? To boot new york's upper range at $400? etc etc.

It's not just price. Fit is the most important thing and AE has the widest sizes/widths.

JBMarce21

Reaction score
gauss17 good point... i guess to remove that variable, keep it with non-cordovan, and that list is very informative, thank you- snedley you are absolutely right that fit is important, but that aside my question is basically a quality one. i.e. this shoe is the same quality at this one, but this is $200 more, etc. and by quality i mean construction and longevity (with proper rotation, of course)

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I certainly think corthay should be a best for your money in french made, semi bespoke shoes. much more interesting than the English ones.

If you can buy with VAT discount it is really worth it

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm assuming being able to deduct VAT if you're shipping out of the EU (Say to US)

FTFY.
OP, in my experience, To Boot are not worth the money. If you like sleek and fashion forwaard, you should definitely check out Corthay. I think they just opened a shop in London in addition to their Paris location.

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FTFY.
OP, in my experience, To Boot are not worth the money. If you like sleek and fashion forwaard, you should definitely check out Corthay. I think they just opened a shop in London in addition to their Paris location.

But also very well made and a nice twist from the ordinary G&G.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

JBMarce21

Reaction score
Corthay is beautiful as well, but also up there over the $1,000 price tag (at Leffot, the only spot I know here in NYC that you can get them) is there anything in between?
I'm looking for a shoe at the $400 price point of good value, a $500, $600, $700 I think is all about Crockett & Jones Hand grade, then above that might as well get some Lobb's, Corthay's, or G & G's. So I guess I am asking for recommendations somewhere in between $300 and $700. A lot of good info here though!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads