• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best food shows

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my list of food shows that I just cannot miss;

1) Heston Blumenthal - In Search of Perfection
2) Alton Brown
3) Iron Chef
4) Ramsay's UK stuff (now have added F word and Fast Food to my lineup)

Might be forgetting some but that's just about what I like.

I saw Heston Blumenthal's Christmas Special where he made a meal that incorporated Frankensense, Myrr, and Gold. He says it's one of the most fantastic meals he's ever created. He goes to the middle east to find the ingredients, then goes to ******* Siberia to get raindeer milk. He is my culinary hero, and a ******* god. Kwilk, download or watch that immediately. **** Ferran Adria and Aschatz... Heston is the ****.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I'm not an Adria fan, and I can't say I'm that much of an Achatz fan without ever having eaten there, but I do enjoy reading about his food.

Downloading ISOP Season 1 now, and The F Word.

I have some random Iron Chef stuff. ICA kind of sucks, but the Japan show was amazing.

Alton Brown is kind of hit or miss for me. Sometimes I really like him, sometimes I realize that he's wrong, and sometimes I just don't like it. It's always entertaining though.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm aligned with sfield's list. Needless to say, this is the original Iron Chef right?

I don't mind ATK and Rick Bayless on PBS -- even though Bayless seems a little fake at times.

And finally, Opening Soon. Good show on the trials and tribulations of new restaurant openings.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
America's Test Kitchen is my favorite.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no votes for $40/day?
inlove.gif

(she was cute at the beginning.)
tinfoil.gif

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good Eats. End of story.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
Good Eats. End of story.

i don't know anything about cooking, but i saw the episode where he made tacos de asada and it was a complete gringo bastardization (flour tortilla, cheese, etc...)

he may be good in a way, but i wouldn't believe any of his dishes to be authentic.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i don't know anything about cooking, but i saw the episode where he made tacos de asada and it was a complete gringo bastardization (flour tortilla, cheese, etc...)

he may be good in a way, but i wouldn't believe any of his dishes to be authentic.

certainly not authentic. I mean, hell, he only makes one maybe two meals per show. But for us nerds he gets in to the history of the meal, the science behind it and a (generally) quick and easy way to make something. You might not learn a lot of straight recipes but you will learn more about food in general.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
What's the bes tplace ot get these? So far I've been using thepiratebay.org.
If you are refering to ATK I believe they are on pbs.org.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta

He's excellent for food science and some technical issues, that's why you watch his show, not really the recipes. You watch it to gain knowledge, and to learn more about food in general.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
If you are refering to ATK I believe they are on pbs.org.

No, I've seen most of those. I really like Cristopher Kimball, though. Cook's Illustrated is great.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a DVD set of some Julia Child's shows, those are by far my favorite. I also enjoyed The Two Fat Ladies when they were around.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads