1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best Food Hells

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by j, May 17, 2006.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Stylish Dinosaur

Has anyone every had Golden Crust? It's a Jamican bakery, some franchises carry meals. Good cocoa bread and the patties( beef, chicken, shrimp, curry chicken),though not as good as some, are more than acceptable.

I have one about 5 minutes walk from my house. love it

2. Flame

Flame Distinguished Member

I loved the local foods found in hawker stalls when I was living in Penisular Malaysia. $4 and you get a hearty meal. roasted pork rice, shrimp carrot cake, wanton noodles and stinky tofu were my favorites.

3. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Distinguished Member

JonG, you have to admit, five guys is pretty damn good. They throw your burger and fries all in a brown paper bag, and the fry grease soaks into the paper. "That's your window to weight gain!"

Oh, I'm not denying it. It's amazing. Unfortunately we're getting two in my small town. This will destroy my innards. A double bacon cheeseburger on a freshly baked bun, underneath piles and piles of Five Guys cajun fries that are entirely throw in the bag to the point that it must be ripped down the side so you can get to your burger. And to top it off my patented Coke/Mr. Pibb which tastes almost like Cherry Coke. The thought of eating all that is disgusting really. Especially since I have the flu and have been throwing up and sleeping all day. [​IMG]

4. raley

raley Senior Member

I personally think Whataburger is a bit overrated, but I do end up here a lot as it is open 24 hours. I was in California for a week and we must have had In&Out 6 or 7 times in 5 days - that place is sublime.

If you don't have Sonic, IMO you aren't missing much. I've never seen any roller skates (or attractive waitresses) and the food isn't that great.

Taco Bell is always a good choice for a large quantity of food at a low price. And while I hate McDonalds burgers/fries, their chicken sandwiches for 1$ are a pretty good value.

5. acidboy

acidboy Stylish Dinosaur

for the filipinos: Jollibee

and coming from the philippines, i must say that is a disgusting brand.

6. saint

saint Distinguished Member

If you really want some great junk food I'd vote for Popeye's (love that chicken), Chipotle (not that unhealthy) and Culver's (butter burgers are awesome). On the West Coast Rubio's Fish Tacos and In-n-Out are both great. Other than Rubio's or Chipotle, you probably want to limit your visits though or you'll look like that dude in from Subway in the before pictures.

7. saint

saint Distinguished Member

I loved the local foods found in hawker stalls when I was living in Penisular Malaysia. $4 and you get a hearty meal. roasted pork rice, shrimp carrot cake, wanton noodles and stinky tofu were my favorites.
    Are wanton noodles noodles that have a dissolute lifestyle?[​IMG]

8. Margaret

Margaret Distinguished Member

I personally think Whataburger is a bit overrated, but I do end up here a lot as it is open 24 hours...

...and the internet access must be an important selling point as well.
    [​IMG]

9. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

J's mention of Wendy's caused me to stop there the other day. I hadn't been there in a while, and the 99 cent value menu sounded decent. $5.00 got me some chicken nuggets, a caesar salad, a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger, Fries, and a Frostee. I was full all day.

10. Manic

Manic Active Member

I'm liking this forum more and more. [​IMG]

If my girlfriend knew about some of my finer eating habits she would kill me. We normally eat at the higher end joints that serve food that I have no idea what it looked like before it was killed.

But when I am working nights, I tend to have my favs.

Wendy's... Big Classic w/h cheese is something I drool over. But they ALWAYS screw up my order.

KFC... I almost shot someone when I was in Indianapolis and found out they wouldn't deliver. When I crave it. I must have it. I think opium is one of the 11 secret herbs and spices.

Then there is George's Burgers which somehow puts chilli on everything... including the chilli...

See through brown bags... and it stinks up your car for about three days. I actually have to shower and get a facial after eating this stuff.

But by far... the worst... most disgusting... uncomprehensable.... dung hole of a fast food joint is;

"Bunty's Chester Fried Chicken"

There are 7 of them where I live. They are actually a gas station, carwash, laundomat, conv stores, and chicken restaurants, rolled into one.

There is nothing better at 3am than some Gas station laundromat chicken. 4 peice meal, 5 bucks. Comes with coleslaw, wedge fries, and gravy.

Honestly I think the gravy is probably made from the dirty laundry water, but it's got a nice spice to it. mmmmmmmm

11. acidboy

acidboy Stylish Dinosaur

"Bunty's Chester Fried Chicken"

There are 7 of them where I live. They are actually a gas station, carwash, laundomat, conv stores, and chicken restaurants, rolled into one.

There is nothing better at 3am than some Gas station laundromat chicken. 4 peice meal, 5 bucks. Comes with coleslaw, wedge fries, and gravy.

Honestly I think the gravy is probably made from the dirty laundry water, but it's got a nice spice to it. mmmmmmmm

not laudnry water... probably came from the sludge from those oil changes. thats why its so spicy. mmmmmmmmmmmm [​IMG]

12. TrojanGarb

TrojanGarb Senior Member

Mmm the holy land of fast food that is Southern California...

In-N-Out cannot be beat.

Tommy's, Fatburger, Pink's, the countless nameless taco stands, the list goes on forever.

Bob's Big boy deserves a mention... most of the time it is sit down, but you can use the drive-thru.

Heres a nice little list of cheap LA eats.

13. mano

mano Senior Member

Mmm the holy land of fast food that is Southern California...

In-N-Out cannot be beat.

Tommy's, Fatburger, Pink's, the countless nameless taco stands, the list goes on forever.

Bob's Big boy deserves a mention... most of the time it is sit down, but you can use the drive-thru.

Heres a nice little list of cheap LA eats.

I lived in Long Beach and went to grad school and worked in LA during the 1980's and In-n-Out is the best fast food burger, bar none. Cassels (sp?) burgers, which I believe is on 6th Street was also excellent, but it's not a drive through.

14. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Distinguished Member

I miss the old A&W Rootbeer stands of my youth, haven't seen one in ages.

I am suprised no one has mentioned Fuddruckers-one of the best ways to eat a burger, and (even though they have waitresses) Johnny Rockets!

15. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Fuddruckers is good. Also with waitresses, but good is Steak 'N' Shake.

If you're ever in Columbia, SC try Rush's (great milkshakes) and Zesto.