Best Food Hells

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by j, May 17, 2006.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

From the pages of The Chap:
    Sir,
    I feel I should bring to your attention the horrendous level of service I received at a new lunching house in my village, which appears to be owned by one R McDonald Esq. Upon entering, no-one took my hat or cane, I was instructed to extinguish my Carey, and there was no table service. Instead, they held with a disgusting practice of ordering one's own food from an open kitchen at the rear of the premises! As it was breakfast time, I ordered a brace of kippers, four devilled kidneys, a dish of kedgeree and a pot of Darjeeling. When the pimpled knave behind the counter began to titter, I demanded to see Mr McDonald immediately. To my horror, a deranged simpleton was produced, whom they had made up to resemble a clown. I have since learned that Mr McDonald is to open another such establishment in the neighbouring village of Westgrove Belmont. Alas! And so the darkness spreads!

Brigadier Gordon Volante, Pudsey

I find this amusing.

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Is that the Tokyo Slim?
    It is.

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Back when my hair was much shorter.

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Speaking of which, if you want distant, near surly service, that's a good place to try. There are of course exceptions, who think everyone is a hick.
    Although you have a very good chance of being called either "sugar" or "honey" by the waitress, perhaps both.

5. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Although you have a very good chance of being called either "sugar" or "honey" by the waitress, perhaps both.
    Here they are mostly goth girls and other Myspace denizens.

6. Arnold_Horseshack

Arnold_Horseshack Well-Known Member

I read this discussion and just wanted to add my 2 cents. Im a assistant manager at a local fastfood restaurant. I started as a cashier We serve burgers, fries, shakes, fried chicken, ribs, coleslaw and a bunch other stuff. Theres a lot of people that cant afford to eat out at fancy restaurants except for maybe special occasions. Were a family place with nice, friendly people and generous proprortions of food. I think it all depends on the people that are serving you and the place you eat at.

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

When I was small, I loved going to Long John Silvers with my grandparents. It was one of the swankier fast-food places then, complete with nautical decor. I was very impressed the plates came with parsley. My grandfather used to eat his at the end of his meal, to freshen his breath. I have no idea if it works, but I do it now myself.

(Also came to love vinegar there. I still sometimes swing by and pick up a chicken plank, two hush puppies and several packs of vinegar.)

8. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I used to like the clams and the crinkles (really just deep fried batter). The vinegar was good, too.

9. Kasper

Kasper Senior member

I read this discussion and just wanted to add my 2 cents. Im a assistant manager at a local fastfood restaurant. I started as a cashier We serve burgers, fries, shakes, fried chicken, ribs, coleslaw and a bunch other stuff. Theres a lot of people that cant afford to eat out at fancy restaurants except for maybe special occasions. Were a family place with nice, friendly people and generous proprortions of food. I think it all depends on the people that are serving you and the place you eat at.

I prefer restaurants like Denny's and Cracker Barrel but I like real fast food places too. I only worry about the hygiene at them. My cousin worked in one through out high school and some of the stories he had, like how they would spit on the hamburgers in the freezer were pretty disgusting. I'm not trying to say that happens at your place.

10. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I used to like the clams and the crinkles (really just deep fried batter). The vinegar was good, too.

Love both the clams and the crinkles, though I grew up calling them crumbs. The crumbs might be the nadir of fast-food -- there's absolutely nothing redeeming about them, just starch and grease. But man, they're delicious.

11. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I remember eating at Long John's with my lawyer boss the summer after high school and him commenting, "I'd hate to see a nutritional breakdown of those things."

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

back when i lived in the US, I was Fatburger, In N Out and Jack in the Box in that order. Throw in countless nameless hole-in-the-wall Mexican joints run by some illegal who now will have to hide from both the national guard and Kent's lawnmower..

In Asia generally - Burger King for burgers, but cheap food abounds here, so dont know where to start. Singapore Laksa and Roti Prata are standouts..

In Vietnam we have no such distractions, indeed the entire place reminds me of hell with food some days. Anyhow, I have become addicted to Banh Mi Xiu Mai - at 5000 dong (30 cents) its really hard to beat.

oh, i'd trade in my quarterpounder anyday for one of those vietnamese sandwiches (forgot what its called) or a steaming bowl of pho with lots of basil.

13. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

Has anyone every had Golden Crust? It's a Jamican bakery, some franchises carry meals. Good cocoa bread and the patties( beef, chicken, shrimp, curry chicken),though not as good as some, are more than acceptable.

14. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

for the filipinos: Jollibee

15. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

It is.
    And here I thought it was a Mr. Hunt.