Best Food Hells

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by j, May 17, 2006.

1. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

"'Welcome to Der Weinerschnitzel
    May I take your order please?'
    'Yeah, I want:
    Two large Cokes, Two large fries
    Chili-cheese dog, large Doctor Pepper
    Super deluxe, with cheese and tomato.'
    'You want Bill sperm with that?'
    'NO!'"

I always thought it said "whale sperm" for some reason.

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I'm from Texas and have eaten at Sonic a lot. They don't double as a gas station, they're just drive-in-only fast food joints. To "eat in" at Sonic, you have to pull into a parking space, each of which includes a speaker/menu setup like you find in any drive-thru lane. There's no skating involved, the employees just walk the food to you on a tray.
    There would always be a few on skates at some of their Austin and Dallas locations.

TC is, bar none, the best fast food place in the world. It's always my first stop when visiting TX and my last stop before leaving. I could eat there breakfast (bacon, egg & cheese tacos), lunch (fajita tacos), and dinner (more fajita tacos and dos equis) for days on end.

3. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

[​IMG]

There's only one that's open 24 hours, and it's maybe 30 minutes away. I'm hungry now, dammit!

4. 4Mica

4Mica Senior member

i think the skating thing doesn't happen much anymore, fonzie. at least not at the one sonic i know of in the midwest.

They still skate here in Vegas (usually rollerblades now, not rollerskates). Sonic is the best for drinks, you can get real lime wedges for no extra charge and they have the great crushed ice. We also have FatBurger here (they are out of So. Cal.), the hamburgers are as good as In'n'Out but there fries are steak cut and they have lots of good jazz on the juke box.

5. tangerine

tangerine Senior member

...Anyhow, I have become addicted to Banh Mi Xiu Mai - at 5000 dong (30 cents) its really hard to beat.

I had one of those for lunch yesterday. In San Francisco they are up to $3.50 US now, but it's still one of the best deals you can find. I can't compare it to what you are eating in Vietnam (haven't been there), but there are a lot of Viet restaurants here, and this was damn good.

Also shout out to those who praised the Mexican hot dogs (here they come wrapped in bacon and with grilled onions) and I forgot to mention our fantastic taquerias. I had 2 carnitas tacos last night, $5.

6. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I had one of those for lunch yesterday. In San Francisco they are up to $3.50 US now, but it's still one of the best deals you can find. I can't compare it to what you are eating in Vietnam (haven't been there), but there are a lot of Viet restaurants here, and this was damn good.

Also shout out to those who praised the Mexican hot dogs (here they come wrapped in bacon and with grilled onions) and I forgot to mention our fantastic taquerias. I had 2 carnitas tacos last night, $5.

That sounds exactly like the hot dogs I had in Mexico... I think it was in Guaymas, I don't really remember...

7. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

I sometimes wish we had In'N'Out, jack-in-the-box, sonic, etc. here on the Atlantic seaboard so I could at least try them out...

Sonic is all over the place in Georgia. I don't know if I've ever eaten there, so I don't know if they're on skates here. I doubt they'd be able to find that many women who know how to skate, personally.

My current fast food hell is a local place called Achim's K-Bob that does a more than passable version of the ubiquitous Turko-German Döner-Kepab. That is because, for reasons passing my understanding, this college town currently lacks a Chipotle. There is a Moe's and maybe a Willy's, but I much prefer Chipotle to either place.

8. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

From the pages of The Chap:

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

i always liked Bojangles' chicken and dirty rice.

Bojangles at least used to have a Bo-berry biscuit that was really good.

Sonic waitresses who can skate are far and few between, but it's not uncommon to see them.

10. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

The Quizno's Honey Bacon Club is something I get a strong craving for every 12 months or so. Although with the amount of onions and dressing they put on it means you taste it for the rest of the day.

There is an authentic BBQ place in Vancouver called Memphis BBQ that is open fairly late and has 2 locations. They do a pulled pork sandwich that is absolutly amazing. Cheap white bread bun, 8hr+ slow roasted pork rump, home made BBQ sauce and coleslaw. Pair it with a lemonade and you're in business.

Apparently Taco Del Mar is amazing, I'm trying it out this weekend.

A.

P.S.>Dick's in Seattle is amazing; Tokyo, when do they have those eating contests?

11. j

P.S.>Dick's in Seattle is amazing; Tokyo, when do they have those eating contests?

Haha... the last one was in August 2002 by my records:

[​IMG]

12. Kasper

Kasper Senior member

I didn't see Denny's mentioned but maybe I missed it. I really liked their cinnamon swirl french toast and ate it almost three times a week until it disappeared from the menu. It had that white icing like the type at Cinnabon.

13. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Denny's, while a food hell if there ever was one, doesn't count because you sit down to order off a menu to a waitress.

14. j

Denny's, while a food hell if there ever was one, doesn't count because you sit down to order off a menu to a waitress.
    Speaking of which, if you want distant, near surly service, that's a good place to try. There are of course exceptions, who think everyone is a hick.

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Is that the Tokyo Slim?