• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best food/dining experiences

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i honestly like to be rushed through my meal/courses and am not into long dining experiences. a few restaurants never disappoint, though my expectations vary in the first place: morimoto lupa mesa grill craft i guess i am a plebe and like to keep it simple.
Morimoto - I ate there in Philly - I liked it a lot, but it did not hold a candle to Nobu in Malibu mesa - makes me miss Bolo - I loved that place craft - great stuff... however I feel I need one more opportunity to diss CRAFTSTEAK - who the hell wants to eat steak family style anyway, really ?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
craft - great stuff... however I feel I need one more opportunity to diss CRAFTSTEAK - who the hell wants to eat steak family style anyway, really ?

The NY one is now defunct.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^nobu is better
bolo was better
craft is > than any of its offshoots

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They could do so much more with that vegas space. Time for Tramanto to open a restaurant in Vegas... Although I think his association with Lettuce Entertain You would preclude him from working at MGM (they tend to partner with Harrah's, I believe).

Lowndes

Reaction score
* Best Bay Area dining experience: Rivoli's on Solano in Berkeley. I had the privilige of eating at Chez Panisse, The French Laundry, and Rivoli's over a ten day period. I know it might be considered blasphemy but Rivoli's was by far my favorite. (And several hundred dollars cheaper). It's a laid back place with great service, nice decor, and unbelievable food. Just outstanding.

* Best BBQ: This is a toss up between two. First, is the Salt Lick in Driftwood, Texas. The whole experience is amazing and when you are super hungry nothing is better. Do yourself a favor if you are ever in the Austin area and stop by this place and order their combination platter (have to bring your own Shiner Bock though). The other place is Coopers BBQ in Llano, Texas. Again, just terrific meat, great sweet tea. Hard for me to pick a favorite out of the two (food wise) but the Salt Lick is easier to get too and a better overall experience.

* Best New York overall dinner experience: Babbo, went here last summer and it was just perfect. The service, ambiance, food, creativity of the food, etc. I loved the whole experience. Can't wait to go back.

* Best New York Street food: The Halal Guys on 53rd and 6th. The combo platter with extra white sauce has kept me awake several nights just dreaming about it. Only $6 too.

Giannis

Reaction score
For me:

Best overall dining experience, Paul Bocuse at his 3 michelin starred restaurant in Lyon.

Best lunch was at Le Louis XV restaurant Alain Ducasse, in Monaco , which had the best fish dish I have ever tasted.

I have never been to NY so I have no opinion yet, but Per Se of Thomas Keller tops my list.

In my country, Greece, my favorite restaurant is Spondi, (two michelin stars, and in the list of the worlds best restaurants) http://gastrotrips.blogspot.gr/2013/07/spondi-revisited.html

coolron

Reaction score
Kept dialing Per Se from 9:55ish this morning, call went through at 10 and waited on hold for 30 minutes. Didn't manage to get the reservation but got on the wait list for February 28th. Anyone familiar with what the chances are of getting in from the wait list? Thinking about trying to get a reservation at EMP in case Per Se doesn't work out. Does anyone have suggestions for a better vegetarian tasting menu in NYC?

G

Griffindork

Kept dialing Per Se from 9:55ish this morning, call went through at 10 and waited on hold for 30 minutes. Didn't manage to get the reservation but got on the wait list for February 28th. Anyone familiar with what the chances are of getting in from the wait list? Thinking about trying to get a reservation at EMP in case Per Se doesn't work out. Does anyone have suggestions for a better vegetarian tasting menu in NYC?

Just go eat in the salon at Per Se. You will be offered the exact same menu, but on a course-by-course basis. It is "first come, first serve" but I've never had a problem getting seated. Frankly, I like the salon a lot better than Per Se, where I find myself unpleasantly stuffed by the end of the four to five hour meal.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to bump this thread after our amazing dinner at Moments in Barcelona. One of my best dinners ever. Crescendo of dishes - every one even better than the previous. Flavors, plating - all fantastic. Totally deserves a third star.

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who knew a SF member would be one of those people taking photos of their food at a restaurant.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been known to happen.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello. This is my first SF post outside of the Thrifting thread but what a great topic.

Current Favorite: My wife and I had dinner while on our Honeymoon at Sooke Harbor House on Vancouver Island. A wonderful dining experience in a beautiful setting, we hope to go back for our 10th Anniversary. Overall the food was wonderful in Vancouver.

Previous to that, my most memorable meal was my 21st birthday dinner just about 25 years ago at The Forge restaurant in Miami. Amazing steak.

Favorite meal in New York City was back in high school at at a Japanese restaurant now closed. I apologize for not remembering exactly but it was something like "Sarina" or similar. This was back in the late 80's and I remember sitting in what felt like an authentic japanese dining room with no chairs and having what I believe to have been Kobe beef cooked on a superheated rock, Shabu Shabu and some amazing sushi. An amazing experience that I would love to have my children experience without having the expense of going to Japan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads