• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Foie Gras in DC?

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I find it?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I endorse this thread. Oh yeah, just brought a fresh lobe home. Photos forthcoming
smile.gif

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
Where can I find it?

Depends on how you want it made.

Uncooked, you can pick up a pound for ~$110 at Balducci's and make it as good or bad as you want.
smile.gif

Seared is a toss up, because for any decent chef, it's pretty hard to screw up salting and sauteing foie, although places have managed to over cook it, like Cafe du Parc and Marcel's a few times. What you end up judging with seared is the whole dish, because they'll always add something on the plate with the foie, which usually enhances or detracts from the foie. I've enjoyed the foie at Bourbon, Le Paradou (which is, or will be closing soon), but probably the best consistently has been at Restaurant Eve (where the foie is supposedly from ducks fed the traditional Egyptian diet of figs). And if you venture to Baltimore, Charleston has a fantastic seared foie.

Terrine/torchon really depends on your personal tastes as places season them differently, and if you prefer the more butter-like texture of this style of preparation. Usually, you end up spreading this on brioche. I like the way Central does it and Westermann's versions at Cafe du Parc. Vidalia does a nice and simple torchon as well.

For "out there" foie, Volt up in Frederick does a freeze dried foie gras, like El Bulli did, where the foie is turned into a powder that reconstitutes in your mouth as you eat a duck consomme. Of course, it lacks the normal taste of foie, but it is a bit of a novelty.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had good foie gras at Cashion's, which is one my favorite restaurants in D.C., and at 2941 out in Fall's Church.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ for shame. The Law Review had its end of the year banquet at the only upscale french joint in Knoxville. When I looked at the menu (that the Law Review had ordered) and saw that they had omitted the Foie, I declined to RSVP.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
(what is foie gras?)

It translates to "fat liver" in French. It is the liver of a goose or a duck that has been force fed until the point that it becomes very fat. It's a huge delicacy. Very rich and buttery. It's very expensive and unlike anything you'll ever eat, but it causes a lot of controversy because of the forced feeding.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're doing foie gras a disservice but not actually describing what that force feeding entails.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
I think you're doing foie gras a disservice but not actually describing what that force feeding entails.

There's beauty in deception.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Depends on how you want it made.

Uncooked, you can pick up a pound for ~$110 at Balducci's and make it as good or bad as you want.
smile.gif

Seared is a toss up, because for any decent chef, it's pretty hard to screw up salting and sauteing foie, although places have managed to over cook it, like Cafe du Parc and Marcel's a few times. What you end up judging with seared is the whole dish, because they'll always add something on the plate with the foie, which usually enhances or detracts from the foie. I've enjoyed the foie at Bourbon, Le Paradou (which is, or will be closing soon), but probably the best consistently has been at Restaurant Eve (where the foie is supposedly from ducks fed the traditional Egyptian diet of figs). And if you venture to Baltimore, Charleston has a fantastic seared foie.

Terrine/torchon really depends on your personal tastes as places season them differently, and if you prefer the more butter-like texture of this style of preparation. Usually, you end up spreading this on brioche. I like the way Central does it and Westermann's versions at Cafe du Parc. Vidalia does a nice and simple torchon as well.

For "out there" foie, Volt up in Frederick does a freeze dried foie gras, like El Bulli did, where the foie is turned into a powder that reconstitutes in your mouth as you eat a duck consomme. Of course, it lacks the normal taste of foie, but it is a bit of a novelty.

Thanks - this is quite helpful!

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
"Force fed" foie gras is banned in California because of it's cruelty. foie gras production has been outlawed in the U.K., Germany, the Czech Republic, Finland, Luxembourg, Norway, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark, and Israel. They sell "naturally fed" foie gras instead. I have no idea how the difference effects the taste. I mean how good can corn boiled in fat really taste after being half-passed through a bird? Foie gras, French for "***** liver," is made from the grotesquely enlarged livers of male ducks and geese. The birds are kept in tiny wire cages or packed into sheds. Pipes are repeatedly shoved down the birds' throats, and up to 4 pounds of grain and fat are pumped into their stomachs two or three times every day. The pipes puncture many birds' throats, sometimes causing the animals to bleed to death. This cruel procedure causes the birds' livers to become diseased and swell to up to 10 times their normal size. Many birds become too sick to stand up. The birds who survive the force-feeding are killed, and their livers are sold for foie gras Much like veal, there is nothing elegant, high-society or luxurious about it. It looks something like this
Foiegras4.jpg
ducksgeese07.jpg
ducksgeese13.jpg

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
"Force fed" foie gras is banned in California because of it's cruelty. foie gras production has been outlawed in the U.K., Germany, the Czech Republic, Finland, Luxembourg, Norway, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark, and Israel.

They sell "naturally fed" foie gras instead. I have no idea how the difference effects the taste. I mean how good can corn boiled in fat really taste after being half-passed through a bird?

Foie gras, French for "***** liver," is made from the grotesquely enlarged livers of male ducks and geese. The birds are kept in tiny wire cages or packed into sheds. Pipes are repeatedly shoved down the birds' throats, and up to 4 pounds of grain and fat are pumped into their stomachs two or three times every day. The pipes puncture many birds' throats, sometimes causing the animals to bleed to death. This cruel procedure causes the birds' livers to become diseased and swell to up to 10 times their normal size. Many birds become too sick to stand up. The birds who survive the force-feeding are killed, and their livers are sold for foie gras

Much like veal, there is nothing elegant, high-society or luxurious about it. It looks something like this

Wow - I knew it was ***** goose live but had no idea of the process to produce it. I'm really turned off to trying it now.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads