1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best flannel pants

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, Dec 17, 2004.

1. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

I have two pairs from Barry Bricken that I got on Sierra -- flat front straight leg. Pretty good quality, but I'm a newbie to high-end odd slacks, so I don't know how much better they can get. Who makes the best flannel trousers that you can find at reasonable prices (i.e. under $150) without too much trouble. How about Purple Label?

The Barry Brickens seem really good to me, by the way.

2. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I was just going to say that RLPL flannels look really nice. At $400 or so, I haven't invested in a pair and imagine one could do well for less.

3. bry2000

bry2000 Distinguished Member

at your suggested price point, Brooks Bros has nice flannel trousers (need to wait for the friends and family sale).

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I picked up a pair of the Bricken pleated tan wool trousers from STP but haven't had them hemmed yet. I've also been eyeing those plain front gray flannels at STP. I'd love to hear other's thoughts on Bricken as well.

5. johnnynorman3

The Bricken flat front I got have a non-tapered leg, which I think looks a bit younger, and I like it fine. The fabric just strikes me as very good -- warm and cozy, but still with an excellent drape. The lining is great -- very high quality, and feels like the same used in my Purple Label suit. The site says they come unhemmed, but this isn't true. They come hemmed to about 32", which is too long for me by just a smidge. I like them so much that I didn't want to wait for the tailor to do a hem job, so I have taken them to the tailor yet and have been wearing them with a self-hem job using that double sided hemming tape. [​IMG] Chastise me if you will, but it worked just fine. I can't wait to have them stitch hemmed. The rise is about a medium rise, which is classier looking than a low rise like on a Banana Repulic pant.

6. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Distinguished Member

I'd concur with RLPL, which can be bought on EBay every once in a while for $150. Also got a nice pair of Castangia from A Harris. For some reason, the more recent Barbera flannels I have do not seem as substantial as the RLPL. RLPL runs big and ride very high. Some models are more tapered than others.

7. Etruscan

Etruscan Senior Member

I have a very nice pair of RLPL inverted-pleat gray flannels which I was able to pick up v. cheap ($50) last January at the Ralph Lauren outlet in Wrentham, Mass. They were sold as-is (after considerable scrutiny I found that the lining of a back pocket was torn at the seam, readily mended but as I never carry anything in a back pocket I've yet to bother).

They feel wonderful and look quite smart. I'm generally off pleats, particularly where odd trousers are concerned, but the waistline is high as I prefer it. There are no belt loops, btw; just a metal buckle at each sideseam of the waistband. I'm not sure what this is called, but it seems to be a bit of an Old World detail.

No experience with Bricken trousers, but have a couple of summer-weight sportshirts of that label that are quite handsome.

8. scnupe7

scnupe7 Distinguished Member

I have been looking for a pair of these. So do you recommend the Bricken pants?

9. johnnynorman3

I do. I mean, is the discount THAT great on STP. Probably not. With the free shipping it's $99, which is about a 60% discount from the retail price. So for pure discount a pair of Castangia on Ebay for $150 is the better "deal." But Sierras return policy is great, so if you don't like them, you return them. Plus, they have the flat front which is actually really hard to find in high quality grey flannel on Ebay (I see mostly pleat front) and very difficult to find at brick and mortar discounters. These are basic colors (the charcoal is great, but the lighter color is actually more elegant in my opinion -- it is more of a mid-grey than light grey). I have a pair of flannel pants from Bullock & Jones (Magiore, I believe) in a Biella Super 120s flannel, and the Bricken fabric is far superior -- a much finer drape.

I'd heartily recommend them -- certainly much better than a pair of J. Crew for a similar price.

10. johnnynorman3

Here's the link by the way to the Bricken trousers. FYI, I think that the waist sizes run about .5" big. The Bricken 32 waists are just a dab bigger than a 32 in a pair of J. Crew flannel pants that I recently picked up (on the J. Crew pair, by the way, I like the cut, and the fabric quality isn't bad but isn't great by any stretch either).

11. scnupe7

Are the legs and leg openings cut narrow or full? What do you normally wear your's with?

12. johnnynorman3

Full opening -- they are straight-legged pants with no taper. The seat and thigh fit nicely -- like well fitting suit pants but with a lower rise.

I'm wearing mine right now with my Polo cordovans. I think they probably go better with a shoe with a bit more substantial of a heel than a delicate dress shoe. My Polos fit the bill perfectly (though the Polos go with virtually everything, from jeans to suits). Properly hemmed, the pants break at about the second or third eyelet from the toe.

13. scnupe7

I'm sold.  I think I will try a pair.  I have pair of Ferragamo wingtips that have a relatively larger heel and sole that I think would go great with them.