• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best fit for skinny men

Walter

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been reading the archives thoroughly to get some knowledge of the different suit silhouettes.
Now my question is this: is one style ( in terms of nr of buttons, gorge height, shoulder padding, lapels, skirt etc) more flattering than another on tall (1m85), skinny men (70 kg) . I have already noticed that trying to add bulk by having heavily padded shoulders is a very bad idea.

But I would like to hear the experts..

otis

Reaction score
I'm close to the same size (6', 145 lbs); I think the current trend of slim fitting clothing is a good thing for us. I'm slowly rebuilding my wardrobe with slimmer fitting clothing. Suits are a problem OTR for me so I'm committed to MTM. For me a I like trim silhouette with a natural shoulder, with a trouser width that is not too extreme to balance it out. The Polo II suit is a good reference for me; that model with perhaps 1" more in the trouser width, and the jacket taken in close is what I'm going for next...although I may go for 2-button instead of the stock 3.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my advice? beer and weightlifting.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me this is what i like. I'm 5'10-5'11' depending on the day and weight 145. I have found that two button with a higher stance, not to higher but about 1-2 inches above the navel with a good amout of waist supression. Shoulder padding is a bad thing but it depends on what your shoulders look like. I like a high arm hole with little padding. What i like now and having made up for me is similar to the paul stuart suit on the mens page, the charcoal and red pinstripe. http://www.paulstuart.com/shop_men.cfm

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
I'm close to the same size (6', 145 lbs); I think the current trend of slim fitting clothing is a good thing for us.  I'm slowly rebuilding my wardrobe with slimmer fitting clothing.  Suits are a problem OTR for me so I'm committed to MTM.  For me a I like trim silhouette with a natural shoulder, with a trouser width that is not too extreme to balance it out.  The Polo II suit is a good reference for me; that model with perhaps 1" more in the trouser width, and the jacket taken in close is what I'm going for next...although I may go for 2-button instead of the stock 3.
What about Black Label? It's the slimmest line offered by Ralph.

Walter

Reaction score
(NoVaguy @ July 08 2005,13:36) my advice? beer and weightlifting.
Ha ha. Or get married. Double breast is your friend.
Well Beer is on my list everyday (I live in Brussels). But you cant fight your genes
tounge.gif
. Weightlifting does not sound like a ton of fun.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fat and muscles

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(otis @ July 08 2005,13:10) I'm close to the same size (6', 145 lbs); I think the current trend of slim fitting clothing is a good thing for us. I'm slowly rebuilding my wardrobe with slimmer fitting clothing. Suits are a problem OTR for me so I'm committed to MTM. For me a I like trim silhouette with a natural shoulder, with a trouser width that is not too extreme to balance it out. The Polo II suit is a good reference for me; that model with perhaps 1" more in the trouser width, and the jacket taken in close is what I'm going for next...although I may go for 2-button instead of the stock 3.
What about Black Label? It's the slimmest line offered by Ralph.
I've asked about RL Black Label, because I'm also tall and thin. The salesman told me it's only available in a few large cities--NYC, Boston, LA, DC and maybe several others.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
I find English and Continental RTW suits work well.  They are generally cut slimmer, both in the jackets and trousers, so less drastic alterations are necessary than with most US RTW.   I find Paul Stuart to be the exception -- they fit better for me than other US RTW suits, and as mentioned before, the tailoring staff there are top notch.

I like the higher stance two button like demeis (I have a Richard James suit in that style that looks sharp).  I also like the look of the higher stance three button found on many English RTW suits like those from Lewin.

When I was younger, I was focused on hiding my slim physique with shapeless trad suits.  As I get older, I have come to celebrate the build, especially as my friends and peers have become larger.  

I agree that many recent trends favor those of us who are slight of build (I am 6' 3" and 165).

caledoniasoul2

Reaction score
For me this is what i like. Â I'm 5'10-5'11' depending on the day and weight 145. Â I have found that two button with a higher stance, not to higher but about 1-2 inches above the navel with a good amout of waist supression. Â Shoulder padding is a bad thing but it depends on what your shoulders look like. Â I like a high arm hole with little padding. Â What i like now and having made up for me is similar to the paul stuart suit on the mens page, the charcoal and red pinstripe. Â http://www.paulstuart.com/shop_men.cfm
demeis Why didnt you just buy the paul stuart model...just curious?

dumadiscount

Reaction score
im 5'10" and skinny as hell. i like:

- natural and close shoulder
- fair amount of waist suppression
- single breasted
- low to middle stance 2 button
- flat front trousers
- double vents

basically a english silhouette with a neopolitan shoulders???

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads