• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Films of 2008

Z!NG

Reaction score
Apparently the new 'cool thing' is to hate on dark knight.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Z!NG
Apparently the new 'cool thing' is to hate on dark knight.

And you've been around for, what, 2 months?
rolleyes.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny Amiga
I'm very sorry, but I think you're still way off on your critique of Ledger's performance. Despite the film's pretensions towards profundity, it's still an comic book film and at no point does Ledger deviate from that. Is it realistic? Hell no. Is it an accurate portrayal of a disturbed person? No way. Does he steal every scene where he's involved? Yes he does (and that's a good thing, cause Joker is supposed to do that).

He's incredibly charismatic in the role and most of all, fun. I think Ledger's Joker is kinda like Johnny Depp in the Pirates films. I wouldn't say that Depp's performance as Jack Sparrow is hauntingly realistic or an authentic portrayal of a pirate, but again for what he's trying to achieve there, he delivers (well, atleast in the first film he did, never had no interest in checking out the sequels).

You might be in the minority who weren't amused by Ledger's antics, but to say that objectively (a word that should seldom be used when discussing cinema) his performance was lacking isn't an convincing argument. To compare Ledger in DK to say Rourke in The Wrestler is irrelevant, as the two actors are trying to do entirely different things.

Ledger's performance wasn't even my favorite of the year (that'd be Bernard Segerström or Michelle Meadows in Darling, Lina Leanderson in Let the Right One In or Rourke in The Wrestler), but in confines of the genre, it's one of the most impressive (and Fun) ever. Not that there's much worthy competition.

We do agree on Bale's voice though. That was just embarassing.

So Will Ferrell should be considered equally for acting like a moron for 2 hours with someone like Phillip Seymour Hoffman or Streep? I'm quite sorry, but there's a reason why even the ******* Oscars draw a line between 'fun', shallow and technically very simple roles for ones that deal with the depth of humanity and the asking of questions a little deeper than 'why do I dye my hair green'. I agree that Jack Sparrow is well acted, but I think Depp would find it totally ridiculous to compare it to something like his role in Gilbert Grape or Donnie Brasco.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to change my above vote. I just saw the Wrestler.

THE WRESTLER IS BY FAR THE BEST movie I saw this year. Nothing is even close. Not Slumdog, not Gran Torino NOTHING is even in the same ballpark. And believe me, I love Gran Torino and Slumdog.

But that is just my opinion. I am not asking you to agree. Everyone has their own opinion.

Oh my God... I hope and pray that Mickey Rourke wins best actor. What an extraordinary performance.

If any of your are academy voters (or know any of the voters).... please. I beg you.

Mickey Rourke = Best Actor

worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

ArtisticShowcase

Reaction score
Just saw Slumdog Millionaire, definitely the best film of the year, beats Button easily. Only problem, awkward dance scene in the credits.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to add RockNRolla to my list, very cool.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
spoiled the whole movie for me.

I don't understand how something unrelated to the film (and a clear nod to Bollywood), would spoil the whole movie for you. It's just an aside. That said, I hated the last 5 minutes of the film, seeing as they really reached for the saccharine.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I was sitting there thinking 'the book canes this, but it's pretty good' and then they take a movie that - and this is a quote from a good friend and Mumbai native who was watching it with me - 'understood my city', then gave it the cheesiest, most inappropriate, Indian film cliched "aside" at the end.

Just no idea why Boyle thought "hey, this is appropriate" - it was pointless, and completely out of place. "hey there's the guy that had his eyes scooped out...now lets all watch him shimmy"

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
I was sitting there thinking 'the book canes this, but it's pretty good' and then they take a movie that - and this is a quote from a good friend and Mumbai native who was watching it with me - 'understood my city', then gave it the cheesiest, most inappropriate, Indian film cliched "aside" at the end.

Just no idea why Boyle thought "hey, this is appropriate" - it was pointless, and completely out of place.

Don't get me wrong, I thought it was completely marsupialed. If you can forgive some of the puppy love and cheese you'll see a very nice film that sort of introduces India to the rest of the world, in a small way. The end was very tacky and I see no reason why they did it. I was out of the theatre moments after anyways since I generally stay right through the credits or get up immediately because I hate hearing the post mortems of the hoi polloi, it just depresses and angers me.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
There's a thread on the movie, and I posted on this there, but I did think it was a decent film. I just hate-hate-hated that ending and wished they didn't go there.

I guess my perspective of the film was tainted by having read (and prefered) the book. Q&A has a certain wide-eyed-wonder mixed with a gritty sense of the fantastic, as well as an eye for detail and nuance that the movie just couldn't match (and, in fairness to Boyle et al, if they tried, the film would have been eleven hours long).

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Australia
The Dark Knight
Frost/Nixon

...were some of my favorites.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
you liked Australia, AF? God I cringed so hard that the wrinkles may be permanent. OK, I am Australian, which gives me a diffferent perspective on it, and it was visually beautiful, and the little Aboriginal kid was great...but otherwise.....so so so cheesy and stereotype-laden, and so so so long.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
just watched Gran Torino. That was good. 2008 is caught up. Now I can begin 2009
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads