• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best Films of 2008

Connemara

[URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']
Reaction score
Have any good lists been published? By good, I mean ones that don't put something like The Dark Knight at the top.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Have any good lists been published? By good, I mean ones that don't put something like The Dark Knight at the top.

Any list that lists Dark Knight, period, shouldn't even be given a second glance.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From what I've seen, Slumdog and Wrestler top my list.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Let The Right One In
Slumdog Millionaire
The Visitor
Dr Seuss Horton Hears A who
Wall-E

are some of my highlights, though I suspect I've missed a lot of good Indie stuff this year. Looking forward to The Wrestler.

Reaction score
I think I was the only person who did not enjoy Wall E

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by [email protected]

Not just you. I left to see something else after the first 15 minutes. Wasn't really in the mood for it tho.

Good to see Ironman on Ebert's list. Ironman > The Dark Knight, IMHO.

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Any list that lists Dark Knight, period, shouldn't even be given a second glance.

Good luck.

phildo

Reaction score
Let the Right One In was the only movie I saw this year that I thought was good.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by [email protected]

I also didn't enjoy Wall E (or the Dark Knight). Sadly, the best movie I saw this year, excluding TV movies, was KungFu Panda.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wall E was alright. The characters (the two robots), were excellent. I'm quite a film snob sometimes I found the emotional depth of those characters to be a masterpiece by Pixar. The expressiveness in the eyes and the small vocal inflections were really charming, and I say that as someone who tends to be quite cynical about these things. The whole pollution angle and the story arc was quite superficial and not that great, but the interactions between Wall E and Eva, to me, were really something to behold.

The Dark Knight (which I saw 2 weeks ago), was horrible. I cannot believe that the pathetic psychoanalysis of the joker was passed off as depth or character development. It was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. In fact, I prefer the old batman movies where they weren't trying to be serious. I don't undertsand how Bale, an otherwise serious actor, could tolerate adopting an ultra low, comically horrible voice every time he is Batman. In the last movie, he doesn't talk like that the whole time, now it's normal. The voice change is beyond horrific. I really, seriously hate that movie and all the attention it gets. If it was just some bullshit like Spiderman, then I'd say whatever, but when people start putting Dark Knight on lists with movies that actually have merit, it pisses me off. There is no artistic value whatsoever. It's pseudo film.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kung Fu Panda and Wall-E were also very good. I still have not seen Doubt. It's not playing anywhere near me. Anyone else having trouble finding it?

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs

Kung Fu Panda and Wall-E were also very good. I still have not seen Doubt. It's not playing anywhere near me. Anyone else having trouble finding it?

No country for old men was a 2007 movie.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 28 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 124 15.7%
  • 31 - 40