• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best fabric for white dress shirt?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the best fabric for a white dress shirt. Basically, I'm looking for something that strikes a nice balance between quality and feel, and not being able to completely see through the damn thing.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Broadcloths aren't too see through, but if that doesn't work, herringbones are quite nice, too. Oxford cloth, I suppose, should be mentioned, too. Less formal though.

capnpyro

Reaction score
I got the 100% sea island cotton when I ordered a white dress shirt from Jantzen. It's got a very nice feel to it, and it's opaque enough to wear without an undershirt. Mind you I've never tried on a borrelli shirt or comporable shirt, but the cotton of the jantzen is the crispest and nicest feeling I've ever had on. It keeps it's shape while still being soft, very nice.

kcgreg

Reaction score
Herringbone and Sea Island Cotton - you can't go wrong with either.
tongue.gif

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Royal Oxford.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
I like Royal Oxford.

I second that - the texture is beautiful and it's rather sort without looking wrinkly.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
80/2 pinpoint oxford is a true workhorse of a fabric. It can be made with a spread collar to dress it up instead of a button down.

Royal oxfords can sometimes be a bit heavy. Higher thread coun royal oxfords are quite nice. There is a Thomas Mason 140/2 that is great.

Real Sea Island cotton is very expensive.

I doubt the shirt from Jantzen was real SEa Island cotton. Not at $42.00.
The fabric alone would cost more then that.

BRoadcloth's vary in opaqueness(is that a word) It depends on the construction
the 200/2 fabric gets quite dense and is amazing. Of course i is quite expensive as well.

Carl

www.cego.com

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best compromise between 'see-thru' and 'quality feel':

Albini's Thomas Mason "Clarence" 2x2 140's Broadcloth.

If you want slightly thicker:

Albini's Thomas Mason "Byron-Kent" 2x2 120's Broadcloth

Slightly more hedonistic ... but also more translucent:

Alumo's "Soyella" 2x2 170's Broadcloth

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alexander Kabbaz
Slightly more hedonistic ... but also more translucent:

Alumo's "Soyella" 2x2 170's Broadcloth

Sounds like a good choice for attending the Bacchinalian orgy Esquire is teaching me to throw
teacha.gif

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Sounds like a good choice for attending the Bacchinalian orgy Esquire is teaching me to throw
teacha.gif

Not really. Alumo's experimental 220's would be a better bet. It may be available by the time you're done with Esquire.

Ali Kebab

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
What is the best fabric for a white dress shirt. Basically, I'm looking for something that strikes a nice balance between quality and feel, and not being able to completely see through the damn thing.

2x2 100's plain poplin.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
toga

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of addressing the very same problem right now. I really like a fine herringbone (5mm) or fine twill because of the extra sheen, but I wonder if Alumo's 170x2 broadcloth isn't a more versatile choice while I build-up my shirt rotation.

I was actually quite surprised in that it didn't have as nice a hand as I would have imagined. Then again, I'm comparing it to their 170x2 Zephir, which has an incredible hand but probably isn't as durable. And don't even get me started on voile!

What's everyone's impression of a medium-fine twill? Does that go with just about everything or should I stick with broadcloth for my first white shirt?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads