• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best Fabric for a Raincoat (Not polyester)

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't found anything that works better than my 60/40 cotton/poly Burberry trench.
Are there any other fabrics that will keep the rain out?

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
+1 to Gauss. I'm a big Storm System wool fan.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have this one by Brooks Brothers: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=684&Product_Id=1470533&Parent_Id=222&default_color=NAVY&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=
It is amazing in the rain, water beads and dries quickly. The fabric is called "Zorander" and is a %100 merino wool by Loro Piana. It isn't too heavy and has a removable liner, so you can use it in a fair range of temperatures.

Thanks, I will give it a look.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bonded cotton that Mackintosh uses is completely waterproof as far as I can tell. It's a bit stiff and it wears warm but it's perfect for cooler weather.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BEST?

Best for what? repelling rain? making the wear look good?

My Aquascutum is 100% cotton and wears well, but I'm not sure about it's ability in a downpour. It looks the best, even when I compare it to a Burberry that's a cotton/poly mix.

My Mackintosh is completely waterproof, but feels stiff

While the Loro Piana Storm System has a very nice feel, I'm not sure about long term durability of it's waterproofness.

Last edited:

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will want something synthetic, whether its in the thread, like a poly-blend, or in the treatment, like the Storm System stuff, if you truly want to keep the rain out. Otherwise you'd have to wear the original rubber Mackintosh.
If it's just something to wear in Spring, you can get away with a light, papery cotton -- though here again the best ones have a bit of synthetic in them to make them that much lighter.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
I bought a great 100% cotton really slim fitting mac from All Saints a year ago. The quality is of course hilariously questionable but the fit persuaded me to go for it. I put some waterproofer (Can't remember the brand now but you can use it to reproof gore-tex or E-vent jackets) and now it's pretty reliably shower resistant.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 110 33.4%
  • 8”

Votes: 99 30.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.9%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%