• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Espadrilles?

StAndrews

Reaction score
Hello!
I am looking for the best luxury/stylish espadrilles. Have looked at The Resort Co, Morjas and Manebi. Any other tips?

The Resort Co are looking really nice, especially the Belgian loafer inspired ones with leather trims. Morjas has a nice price, but is the quality good? Manebi does not feel as premium as the other ones..

Please help me pick or share other tips! Thank you.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me the essence of an espadrille is its casual nature. It’s really not meant to convey luxury or ‘premium’. I have a pair of Castaners and they’re fine. I haven’t tried many different brands.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agree there's little "premium" or "luxury" to be had in an espadrille.

The Belgian hybrid ones look corny to me. So do the ones with the palm tree embroidery.

If you want a more luxurious, upscale espadrille, get ones with a suede upper. The more common fabric ones can be just as charming, however.

Panama

Reaction score
Espadrilles should not be expensive. The Morjas appear adequate. I prefer this lace up style espadrille in suede

61kRJn41LHL._AC_UY1000_ML2_.jpg

Panama

Reaction score
I hadn't heard of Rivieras until now. They appear to be a good alternative...

riv_cha_1070_sh20_969a7e9c-c162-470e-ac82-b6ec2f07226a_1000x1000.jpg

StAndrews

Reaction score
Thanks!

I like the classic look, but want a bit elevated. Suede upper but the traditional jute sole. I have ordered a pair from The Resort Co, hopefully they are as nice as they look.

Sand Espadrille_2.jpeg

Panama

Reaction score
They are twice the price of a pair of Solillas suede Espadrilles....

Solillas-Mens-Espadrilles-Suede-Tan-Brown-Above_2000x.jpg

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@breakaway01 can you tell me more about Castaners? And why do people want suede espadrilles when these are meant for the beach?

I tried Paez espadrilles from Argentina before. OK cloth shoes half the price of Castaners, made in China.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@breakaway01 can you tell me more about Castaners? And why do people want suede espadrilles when these are meant for the beach?

I tried Paez espadrilles from Argentina before. OK cloth shoes half the price of Castaners, made in China.
There’s not much to say—mine have canvas uppers. I don’t have a pair with suede uppers, so I can’t speak for those who buy espadrilles with suede.

Panama

Reaction score

Are they meant for the beach? I wear them in the city when on vacation. They are for the summer.

StAndrews

Reaction score
Are they meant for the beach? I wear them in the city when on vacation. They are for the summer.

I agree. I wear flip-flops when going to the beach and (suede) espadrilles in the city. I am really pleased with the ones I bought from The Resort Co by the way. Actually bought a second pair. The most comfortable espadrilles I have ever worn. The insole makes a big difference and I can walk for hours in them.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Espadrilles with genuine jute soles don’t last long—especially if the soles get wet, which they will. Don’t spend a lot. I buy new espadrilles every September when they go on sale, then put them away until next summer.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Castaner espadrilles have a thin rubber outsole over the jute sole. Works well to keep the bottoms of the jute soles dry as you pointed out. I suspect that mine will last a couple of seasons as I don't wear them more than once every couple of weeks or so during the summer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads