• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Earnest Sewn Wash/Cut

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
I'm thinking about maybe picking up a pair of ES's, and I'd like to know what forum members think there best style is. I once got a pair of Hemingways on Ebay but they didn't fit so I had to pass them on.

Any thoughts?

No straight-leg, please.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Kyrre raw/rigid would be the best IMO. Besides that, probably the Hutch in Formula 21 or Fulton in Patriot.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of ES Hutch in lightning wash. The fit is great, but the wash is questionable.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't want a straight leg, are you looking for a boot cut or a taper? The Hutch is a really good cut if you want the former.

Augusto86

Reaction score
Bootcut, yeah. I'm seeing Hutch Formula 21s on Bluefly for 120....hmmm....

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get it in Maz Dark 3D if you can. I honestly don't know if I've seen a better wash.

TrojanGarb

Reaction score
If STP still has Hutch's they came down to about 70 after a 20% coupon and google checkout. Seemed like a decent wash too.

Augusto86

Reaction score
I actually saw the STP ones - when I typed in sierra in firefox it filled out to that exact page! But no 30s...unless they run big and I could squeeze in a 29?

Arethusa, Bluefly has Filsons in Maz Dark 3D. Any idea what those look like.

Also, any bluefly coupons?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bluefly 15% off coupon: MISSEDYOU465 until Dec 9... use it fast!

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Filsons are the straight leg. I think it's their best cut, personally (Hutch second), but if you don't want a straight leg, doesn't do you much good. Each pair is somewhat unique, but the wash generally looks excellent.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
The Filsons are the straight leg. I think it's their best cut, personally (Hutch second), but if you don't want a straight leg, doesn't do you much good. Each pair is somewhat unique, but the wash generally looks excellent.
Bluefly's Filson's in the aforementioned wash are actually labelled bootbut, though their Filsons in a lighter wash are straight-leg. I dunno enough about ES to know what to make of this.

Augusto86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
Bluefly's Filson's in the aforementioned wash are actually labelled bootbut, though their Filsons in a lighter wash are straight-leg. I dunno enough about ES to know what to make of this.

That is the source of my confusion. There are also Fultons, to add to the mess.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Filson was an older name for the Fulton. But I don't know. Both are straight leg, though. They totally fucked up with that. The Filson is definitely not a bootcut, no matter what Bluefly says. I have it in Maz Dark 3D as well.

Sabrosa

Reaction score
The Fulton did indeed replace the Filson as Earnest Sewn's straight-leg model. Something about a copywright issue I beileve (maybe with the Filson clothing/outdoor gear company?). I don't believe the cut changed, but I can't be positive on that one.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka