• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Eames Lounge Chair Reproduction

Which Eames Lounge Reproduction do you think is the best?

• MCM Classics

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Rove Concepts

Votes: 56 62.2%
  • Manhattan Home Design

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Barcelona Designs

Votes: 13 14.4%

• Total voters

trapper81

Reaction score
As an initial note, I am only interested in a new quality Eames Lounge Chair Reproduction. I unfortunately cannot afford the real thing and, while I completely understand the benefit of buying an authentic Herman Miller or Vitra version, it's simply not an option at this point in time. I just want to see what companies others consider to make the best Eames Management Chair, Eames Lounge Chair, and Barcelona Chair Reproductions and I don't want for this to become an authentic versus reproduction discussion. I also am not interested in "similar to" chairs, but rather true to form reproductions with dimensions as the original versions. Sorry for the long prologue, but I have noticed that these types of conversations often turn into DON'T BUY REPRODUCTION FURNITURE arguments (and quite nasty arguments at that.) That is not why I am writing this post. I am writing this post for information and conversation with others interested in the conversation. If you aren't, then I am sure there are many other discussions going on that may be of interest to you. Thank you in advance.

There is not much information online about which companies make the best MidCentury Modern reproductions and I am simply seeking advice, opinions, and experiences from others who have purchased or considered purchasing such reproductions.

Here are the ones I have looked at so far:

-MCM Classics- http://www.mcmclassics.com - Not much to find online about this company as far reviews go. The ones I do find praise their reproductions. Anyone purchased from MCM Classics?

-Rove Concepts- http://www.roveconcepts.com/ - Pretty good reviews - Pretty expensive as well, at least for reproductions.

-Manhattan Home Design - http://manhattanhomedesign.com/ - Seems to be well regarded.

-Barcelona Designs - http://www.barcelona-designs.com/ - Seems to get pretty good reviews as well.

Has anyone had any experience with any of these reproductions or companies in general? It seems overall that the MCM Classics gets the best accolades, but they are far and few between.

I greatly appreciate all advice and suggestions in advance.​

WOODEN

Reaction score
I would choose Rove.

But the field is hard to evaluate, and I won't buy from Rove unless there is better information to evaluate them on.

My reasoning:

I started by being impressed by Iconic Interiors' YouTube videos, but it's in the UK (I'm in the US). But his explanations had me believing mcm replicas could work. By the way, he started his business because of the Barcelona Chair.

My tentative conclusion Rove is best is based on:

1. the following website, perhaps dubious: http://barcelonachairs.com/compare-all-barcelona-chair-retailers

2. I've found only one bad review of Rove, many good, at Apartment Therapy; two of us have asked for more information about the bad review; I do think Yelp rejected Rove reviews as possibly or probably written by Rove

3. Rove reviews in another thread on this site

4. perhaps other internet testimonials about Rove (I can't recall all the research I did); again, I've found only one bad review of Rove

5. Rove's website and selection; I didn't like their YouTube videos that much.

6. people very knowledgeable about mcm at Design Addict have recommended other companies (Rove has never been discussed); again, this led me to believe mcm replicas can work.

Hope that helps, and thanks for the information. Unless I'm missing something, however, I'm sticking with Herman Miller and Modernica sales, two companies whose furniture I'm very happy with.

trapper81

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have also really been considering the premium aniline leather version that a company called Kardiel makes. They have a very legit looking website (not that that's a deal-sealer of course) and I have read good reviews and seen good things about them online. Rove has gone up on their Eames Lounger apparently and I just don't know that it's that much, if any, better than the other aniline reproductions. Just my current thoughts. Thanks for your input.

WOODEN

Reaction score
I hope you keep posting on this. I'm going to look at Kardiel again. I definitely remember them.

Also, I forgot a couple things:

For the Barcelona Chair, Room and Board sells what has to be the best repro. The price is high, but at least there's a standard to judge other repros by.

Might be trivia, but Warren Buffett owns the largest furniture store in North America, Nebraska Furniture Mart, which seems to have a good reputation, and they sell Control Brand repros. The store might actually have an excellent reputation.

Alphaville used to sell repros, and I believe that was one of the ones recommended at Design Addict, but they're out-of-business.

modernclassics.com is another one to add to the candidate list.

66cooper

Reaction score
Recently looking Into the same thing as you. There are some things I would like to bring up.

First, one of the aspect of the original that makes the eames lounger so amazing is the way it "gives" when you sit in it. The give is what makes the chair cradle you and gives you a custom fit. I have asked all the top rep companies about this. I feel the most important aspect that is missed on most (from what I have researched) is the "shockmounts" that attach the lower back section to the bottom section. This is where most failures happen on the original as well. These mounts give the chair that flex. The unfortunate part is that only a few reps seem to have these and they are the most expensive reps. The mounts that connect the two back section together are actually hard plastic...even on the newer herman miller cars. That is not where the flex really comes from.

Another aspect I have been trying to find is that the veneer is on both sides of the wood. Most wouldn't care I guess but the you can see the under side section below the arms. It should be the same veneer finish as the part that you see on the outside of the chair. That leads into the next thing.

The cushions. They should be able to be removed and the chair base and ottoman base should be interchangeable.

Now, from what I have found, there are very few rep companies out there making loungers that meet these few features. Seems like Rove and Iconic are the only two that I have found, both with a pretty high retail price. Unfortunately, I have not been able to try out any of the reps and I haven't sat in a genuine eames is some time. I will be doing the latter ASAP. I am in the New York area and there are a few option available to me but non that meet all these things I have listed above. This all comes from research online only. I would love I hear from anyone with more info or specific details that they have experienced with an of the rep dealers.
Cheers!

Last edited:

bakerka

Reaction score
A couple of months ago I was shopping for replica furniture. At this time, I am not able to afford the originals. I ended up purchasing the replica La Chaise inspired by Charles Eames from INFURN. http://www.infurn.com/us/la_chaise_inspired_by_charles_e..
I was a bit worried because of the reviews that I had read about delivery times, but the price of the lounge chair was in my budget and I was not in any rush to get the chair. I just received the chair and it is wonderful. I ordered it in bright yellow and it adds an amazing pop of color in my space.

I am now looking into ordering the DSW Fiberglass chairs for my kitchen. http://www.infurn.com/us/dsw_fiberglass_chair_inspired_by_charles_e.
Does anyone know how many I should order to fit about a 46 inch tulip table?

Thanks!

WOODEN

Reaction score
Actually I didn't say that.

I would either get the Eames Lounge or one of its authentic competitors--lounge chair is a great category. The Eames is the most lauded piece of furniture in American history. I'm not going to talk bad about it. I didn't get it only because of my size. There's a shock mount issue. I'm not a dealer--I want to own these for the rest of my life.

I wouldn't buy a repro. Repros can't be criticized at my favorite furniture site because the companies threaten the site's owners, so I'll just say further research eliminated all the companies for me.

odee911

Reaction score
Recently looking Into the same thing as you. There are some things I would like to bring up.

First, one of the aspect of the original that makes the eames lounger so amazing is the way it "gives" when you sit in it. The give is what makes the chair cradle you and gives you a custom fit. I have asked all the top rep companies about this. I feel the most important aspect that is missed on most (from what I have researched) is the "shockmounts" that attach the lower back section to the bottom section. This is where most failures happen on the original as well. These mounts give the chair that flex. The unfortunate part is that only a few reps seem to have these and they are the most expensive reps. The mounts that connect the two back section together are actually hard plastic...even on the newer herman miller cars. That is not where the flex really comes from.

Another aspect I have been trying to find is that the veneer is on both sides of the wood. Most wouldn't care I guess but the you can see the under side section below the arms. It should be the same veneer finish as the part that you see on the outside of the chair. That leads into the next thing.

The cushions. They should be able to be removed and the chair base and ottoman base should be interchangeable.

Now, from what I have found, there are very few rep companies out there making loungers that meet these few features. Seems like Rove and Iconic are the only two that I have found, both with a pretty high retail price. Unfortunately, I have not been able to try out any of the reps and I haven't sat in a genuine eames is some time. I will be doing the latter ASAP. I am in the New York area and there are a few option available to me but non that meet all these things I have listed above. This all comes from research online only. I would love I hear from anyone with more info or specific details that they have experienced with an of the rep dealers.
Cheers!
You hit it on the nail cooper, my biggest concern was the original flex that the eames lounge chair has. This may seem small but this part seems to be the heart and engine of the Eames Lounge Chair. WIthout the proper shock mount you may as well get any other lounge chair. This is the main reason I myself choose Rove Concepts they were the only guys over the phone able to explain to me clearly about the flex and shock mounts used. During my research most of the cheaper companies don't really know what I am talking about.

JPalmer

Reaction score
This thread is very informative. I am doing some research on eames lounge replica and found a couple of retailers online including the ones from this thread. But right now, I am confusing which one to choose. I have the experience with Barcelona Designs and I bought the Barcelona Chair from them. I chose that one because they offer free shipping, reasonable price and they have live person talking on the phone (some website does not has the live person talking to you). They also offer eames lounge chair with free shipping. Rove concept also seems nice and good reviews. Very informative but higher price and still charge shipping fees if I am not wrong. Because I am ordering from USA. So, i think it would be quite a lot. I found MCM, Kardiel and Manhattan Home as well. They are offering also on Amazon. Manhattan Home said they have showroom in Manhattan, New York and there are good reviews about the showroom and sales person. I have plans to go there to see how it is. Right now, Barcelona Designs is my 1st choice as I have good experience with them. Anyone share the experience with Barcelona Design or Manhattan Home?
This sounds like a spam for barcelona design and manhattan home design which both are the same companies own by the same person. I ordered swatches from both and got the same leathers. about 4-5 cheap replica stores carry the same chairs from china. Free shipping is fine if I was buying a similar item but for a cheap knockoff with free shipping.. no thanks.. that tells me just how cheap the chair really is.

toluk

Reaction score
Hi trapper81,

I just found your post looking for the same chair, thanks for your info. I would like to know for which company you finally decided? and how was your experience with them?.

thanks

jtreehorn

Reaction score
I like the Rove repros but I'm not sure the flex mechanism is worth the extra $500+ dollars they charge for it. As for the other repros, I've found that they each have their pros and cons, but in general the biggest differences I've found are in the leather quality, the wood finish and of course, the price. I think Kardiel makes some solid chairs at about $1000 and I've also found good ones on http://masonglass.com, which seems to sell something very similar for $899 with free shipping in the US.

I've sat in an actual Eames lounger and the flex mechanism is cool but again, not sure it's worth the extra $4K that could, say, go towards furnishing a whole room.

odee911

Reaction score
I like the Rove repros but I'm not sure the flex mechanism is worth the extra $500+ dollars they charge for it. As for the other repros, I've found that they each have their pros and cons, but in general the biggest differences I've found are in the leather quality, the wood finish and of course, the price. I think Kardiel makes some solid chairs at about $1000 and I've also found good ones on http://masonglass.com, which seems to sell something very similar for $899 with free shipping in the US.

I've sat in an actual Eames lounger and the flex mechanism is cool but again, not sure it's worth the extra $4K that could, say, go towards furnishing a whole room.
A Eames without the original flex ? Might as well just pick up any old lounge chair from IKEA. The engineering of the rubber shock mount and how the actual chair is crafted and assembled is a true work of art. Even if you were purchasing it just for the look there are so many terrible low end replicas out there that can be bought from china for $200 but are resold by your mentioned companies for $ $800-1000. As far as I know only Rove Concepts, Herman Miller and Vitra produce it true to original and with the correct rubber shock mounts. Leathers all from Italy and real wood veneers.

skeetybug

Reaction score
Gosh!! Can't believe this thread is still going on and on.

Last edited:

skeetybug

Reaction score
You are absolutely right. The flex is really important. Without it, it is just another chair. As a stager, I have bought enough cheap craps to distinguish who has the best reproductions. There are so many out there that doesn't have the rubber mounts and it doesn't sit the same however Rove is NOT the only one who sell this chair with the rubber shock mount. Another store based in Bethesda MD sells them too. It is just that they don't promote it like Rove does. Their price is the same as Rove but shipping is free. No offense, I rather support a local retailer that is based in USA so if there is any problem, it is easier to resolve. Just my two cents!!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads