• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Drycleaners in Sydney conservative business dress?

Zubberah

Reaction score
Have had a lot of bad experiences with Sydney conservative business dress drycleaners, particluarly the chop-shop franchises like Maurice, TLC and Lawrence's. In fact I would go so far to say that not once have I had something returned to me that there wasn't something wrong with it, like missing buttons, folded lapels (routine despite me telling them to curl them), shiny bits, and stretched fabrics. Any recommendations from fellow Sydneysiders for good drycleaners in the Sydney conservative business dress? The only consistent reco I get (from Harrolds and Henry Buck's) is 20/20 in Mosman --> too far.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inside the Sydney conservative business dress? The answer is a resounding NO I am afraid. Everyone says that most drycleaners today are hopeless.

There is also a good one in Habersfield according to Adamo Marrrone. Apparently, they were not always so good until Adamo taught them how to do things properly may years ago. Now they refer their customers there.

sydney lawyer

Reaction score
I can recommend the dry cleaners in Castlreagh Street just off Hunter Street towards Martin Place.

sydney lawyer

Reaction score
I don't know. I can only say I have used them and have been satisfied. They have never pressed my lapels, always rolled them. But I am no expert.

Harry Lean

Reaction score
Just for the record, there are no proper `certified' dry cleaners in Sydney or NSW. The only states with proper certified dry cleaners are in Victoria and South Australia.

Sorry to say, but l think you need to get used to the idea of having your suits ruined by dry cleaners. lt's a way of life for New South Welshmen.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
20/20 at Mosman is great as are the Rota family at Manly Wharf - Sunshine Dry Cleaners - ex- RSA pros...

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Harry Lean;1216404 said:
Just for the record, there are no proper `certified' dry cleaners in Sydney or NSW. The only states with proper certified dry cleaners are in Victoria and South Australia.

Sorry to say, but l think you need to get used to the idea of having your suits ruined by dry cleaners. lt's a way of life for Sydney folk.[/QUOTE

The answer as do all sensible folk is to air and sponge your suits and dry clean them once a year. The other trick is to have a rotation of 5 suits so you don't have to wear them to the point of needing cleaning ...and airing and sponging suffice.

Harry Lean

Reaction score
Yes, ideally it is best not to dry clean at all. A good rotation is needed.

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harry Lean

Sorry to say, but l think you need to get used to the idea of having your suits ruined by dry cleaners. lt's a way of life for Sydney folk.

Funny, shooman said the same thing on another forum
wink.gif
. I couldn't care less whether they were certified or not.

I strongly recommend 20/20 in Mosman. If you are in the conservative business dress they will deliver/pickup.

Balthazar

Reaction score
I found No Delay in Balmain to be very good (and pretty expensive). They do pick up and delivery too.

Ian4961

Reaction score
I have had the worst experiences with dry cleaners in Sydney since moving to Australia from the UK ten years ago. Suits, sports coats etc come back shiny or with lapels pressed flat, flat, flat. They do not seem to understand the rolled lapel. I have a preference for three-button sports coats and for three button suit coats, but when I get my sports coats and suits back, they have pressed the lapels to make them long, like a low-buttoning two button coat! I've had the same problem at Martini, TLC, and Blue & White. Recently, I had to take a silk/linen sports coat back to Blue & White FOUR times for them to press it properly. On one occasion the woman told me that I could button the top button and, in time, it would be OK! I told her that I was not an Australian TV newsreader and had no desire to dress like one! I'm not going to button my top button (or all three buttons fot that matter) to look like a toy soldier just because Sydney dry cleaners can't do their jobs properly. Nor do I want lapels running to my belt line to make me look like a spiv. Although, I wouldn't look out of place in Australia then
smile.gif
. Even more strange, on several occasion, they have only pressed one lapel (the right one) the wrong way, whilst the left one has been pressed properly (What is going on?)

I miss great dry cleaners like Churchills (Belfast) and the Gold Service from Sketchleys and various high-quality opeartions in London.

Dry cleaning in Australia (or Sydney at least)? - Forget it!

Hang your suits in the bathroom while you are having a hot, steamy shower. Hang them outside to air once in a while also, and never put them back in the wardrobe on the day that you wear them - let them air overnight, preferably in a well-ventilated room. Buy a hand steamer (I've got a Rowenta one that I brought with me from the UK) and only visit a dry cleaner as a last resort. Either that, or move to the UK or the USA.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads