• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best drycleaner in Boston?

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recently moved up from the Washington, DC area and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend an exceptional Boston area drycleaner. I'm looking for something that would be the equivalent of a Parkway in DC.... Someplace that knows what they're doing that you'd be willing to trust your bespoke to.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you're the one who spilled beer on josepidal's suit...

horton

Reaction score
There's a hand laundry place near Back Bay and Neiman Marcus. I haven't tried them yet, but the folks at Louis recommend them.

c55

Reaction score
I like the French Cleaners in the south end right across from the cyclorama on tremont, I think they have one near the Pru as well. Now I use Ecoluxe Organic Dry cleaning in Brookline - costs 25 cents more per shirt but is very nice and easy on the earth. Their site is not working for some reason right now - http://www.ecoluxe.net - look em up.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Holly Cleaners in Newton used to be good when I was there in the 90s.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by c55
I like the French Cleaners in the south end right across from the cyclorama on tremont, I think they have one near the Pru as well.

I think that's the one Horton mentioned. There is a South End branch and the one I use, on Dartmouth St. across from Back Bay Station. I've had pretty good luck on dry cleaning there so far, and they do cold wash/hand pressing on shirts. For $5. They'll also outsource shirts for a more normal fee.

horton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
I think that's the one Horton mentioned. There is a South End branch and the one I use, on Dartmouth St. across from Back Bay Station. I've had pretty good luck on dry cleaning there so far, and they do cold wash/hand pressing on shirts. For $5. They'll also outsource shirts for a more normal fee.

Yes, that's the one. I thought it was called the French Laundry but then feared I was getting it incorrectly confused with the cookbook/restaurant.

I recall Paul from Louis Boston recommending it for shirts. Apparently, years back when they carried Lorenzini, they were getting a lot of returns with people complaining about the neck getting too tight. When they circled back with whomever from Lorenzini, the Lorenzini guy was apparently surprised the shirts were being professionally laundered (not hand laundered). His thinking was that anyone who would be buying Lorenzini must have a laundress on staff. (What planet was he from). Anyway, the story stuck in my mind more than the laundry's name -- which apparently would be the solution to anyone suffering from shirt shrinkage!

Reaction score
Well montecristo, I have the highest imaginable standards (and an awful lot of money in my wardrobe) also. For the last 10 years or so, I've used Quest Cleaners. It was recommended to me by Paul Wade of Louis Boston and was started by the former director of operations at Louis Boston. I had tried the best places at the time, including Jean Palmers. (I don't know if Jean Palmers is still in business. There really was a gal named Jean Palmer whom I dealt with, and she was famous for being Jackie O's dry cleaner back when. I gave up on her because she was tough to deal with and it took months to get things back.) Quest beat them all and still does.

The dry cleaning is outstanding, and the shirt laundering is also. My shirts are pressed by hand, have been the whole time I've used them. I can't remember whether machine pressing is offered or not.

In the 10 years I've used them, they have never damaged anything. It's hard to believe, but true. The service is really outstanding: they are more than happy to bend over backwards, and they've done many rush jobs and special deliveries for me. There are one or two stores around town, and the plant is in Waltham. Nothing is outsourced (a recipe for disaster, I think). I would travel to get to them, but the icing on the cake is they have an excellent free delivery service, which I use. The delivery is twice a week.

The fellow in charge at Waltham is Rick and the phone number there is 781.466.6662. The website is www.questcleaners.com

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horton
There's a hand laundry place near Back Bay and Neiman Marcus. I haven't tried them yet, but the folks at Louis recommend them.

The name of the place is French Cleaners and they have two locations. One is across from the entrance to Back Bay Station at 130 Dartmouth Street, 617-424-8084 and the other is at 538 Tremont Street, 617-338-4692. Joseph Baldwin is the owner and is always in the Dartmouth Street location and his brother David is on Tremont. They have been customers of mine for years, they know and appreciate quality clothing. Tell them Gary sent you. They also offer pick-up and delivery in Boston.

Best Regards,

Gary

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads