• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best dry cleaners in Dallas / DFW area?

hbsseller

Reaction score
Anyone have a suggestion for the best drycleaners in Dallas? I am in Uptown / Highland Park area. Thanks!

jcriswel

Reaction score
Bibbentuckers!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cox drycleaners and laundry at Southwestern and Greenville, northwest corner.

Nobody comes close to the work they do or uses the drycleaning process they use. I do not use their laundry service, just drycleaning. They do not pick up or deliver and their prices are high but the cleaning and pressing is superior in Dallas. Very good at removing spots as well.

Sorry jcriswell, I would avoid Bibbentuckers if possible. They are much better at marketing than cleaning and pressing.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know if Cox uses standard perc drycleaning? I'd like to find a CO2 or wet cleaner in the area, but have had no luck.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They use Eco-Solv made by Chevron-Phillips. It is eco friendly. They also clean with a nitrogen-injected system.
Kindergarten explanation. Oxygen mixing with cleaning solvent causes oxidation with causes your clothes to feel stiff and unnatural. Nitrogen does not. The clothes actually feel light and soft with no scent of cleaning solvents after cleaning with nitrogen. The original owner, Mr. Cox developed the equipment and process years ago and is the only one I know in Dallas that cleans this way. He has sold the system to other cleaners but I do not know where.
They are also good at discerning when the cloth needs to be hard or soft pressed or just needs a little steaming. I have used them since 1978. Have had many testimonials from clients that use them. Used to have a client who would send his clothes to me from Denver to have them cleaned here and returned to him.

bearlydavid

Reaction score
Is there anymore, preferably in the Midcities area, like Irving, Euless, Bedford, Hurst, etc.?

jcriswel

Reaction score
I probably struck out with my suggestion on Bibbentuckers. They are rather commercial... my wife likes them, but I really don't. I take back my recommendation.

Since I did that I probably have zero credibility. I have been looking for a good cleaner for quite some time. I have tried several and have found issues with most. The one I am with now seems to be doing a good job - Koalaty.

They service the Tarrant County area and they really are good:

http://www.koalatycleaners.com/

bearlydavid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcriswel
I probably struck out with my suggestion on Bibbentuckers. They are rather commercial... my wife likes them, but I really don't. I take back my recommendation.

Since I did that I probably have zero credibility. I have been looking for a good cleaner for quite some time. I have tried several and have found issues with most. The one I am with now seems to be doing a good job - Koalaty.

They service the Tarrant County area and they really are good:

http://www.koalatycleaners.com/

So you recommend this place... Because there is one right down the road like a mile from my house.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
They use Eco-Solv made by Chevron-Phillips. It is eco friendly. They also clean with a nitrogen-injected system.
Kindergarten explanation. Oxygen mixing with cleaning solvent causes oxidation with causes your clothes to feel stiff and unnatural. Nitrogen does not. The clothes actually feel light and soft with no scent of cleaning solvents after cleaning with nitrogen. The original owner, Mr. Cox developed the equipment and process years ago and is the only one I know in Dallas that cleans this way. He has sold the system to other cleaners but I do not know where.
They are also good at discerning when the cloth needs to be hard or soft pressed or just needs a little steaming. I have used them since 1978. Have had many testimonials from clients that use them. Used to have a client who would send his clothes to me from Denver to have them cleaned here and returned to him.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to give them a try with my better suits, etc.

OakCliff

Reaction score
Since people last commented on this thread, does anyone have any more suggestions for a good intown cleaner in Dallas? The best one I've used is Bibbentuckers, but their prices are high. I read some more recent reviews on yelp about Cox Dry Cleaners and apparently their prices are even higher than Bibbentuckers and the business is under new ownership, so I wonder if the quality is still there.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some things have gotten better with the new owner at Cox Drycleaners, especially removing spots and stains. Martha really knows her stuff.

Prices are higher, I think drycleaning a trouser is 10.50 but I have not had a complaint about their work.

The new owner isn't new to the business. He was the original owner of Fosters on Lovers lane. They were the best in Dallas for years but not for the past 15 years or so.

I haven't seen anyone come close to the quality of work they do. They really do pay attention to the type of cloths they are working with and the service/turn around time is great.

OakCliff

Reaction score
Thanks Despos. It is good to know the prices at Cox Cleaners are worth it if I need high quality work. Does anyone know if Cox Cleaners is the best place in Dallas to bring dry selvedge jeans? I have a few pairs that have never been washed and when the time comes I may get them dry cleaned rather than hand wash them. Apparently dry cleaning is one recommended option for selvedge denim, assuming organic solvent is used in the dry cleaning process.

stubloom

Reaction score
I know absolutely nothing about the Dallas dry cleaning market so I can't add anything to the discussion. But I do know a little about dry cleaning machines and solvents. So I'd like to correct some information about Eco Solv and the use of nitrogen that's appeared on this thread. About 90% of cleaners dry clean in perchloroethylene (aka perc), a dry cleaning solvent that has been subject to much negative press. About 7% of cleaners dry clean in synthetic petroleum, a hydrocarbon solvent that's a byproduct of the manufacture of gasoline (brand name DF 2000 from Exxon Mobil Chemical and Eco Solv from Chevron Phillips Chemical). Synthetic petroleum is often FALSELY marketed as an organic, green, non-toxic and environmentally friendly alternative to perc. Synthetic petroleum is NOT organic, green, non-toxic nor environmentally friendly. While synthetic petroleum is relatively less aggressive on fabrics and dyes than perc, it is, nonetheless, subject to the SAME federal, state and local environmental laws and regulations as perc, both in how it's used and how it's disposed of. From a health and environmental point of view, all hydrocarbon solvents are volatile organic compounds (VOCs). VOCs contribute to the formation of ozone, which, in turn, has been linked to various respiratory complications. As regards nitrogen, no nitrogen ever comes into contact with your garments. Because synthetic petroleum is a flammable solvent, nitrogen is used in the distillation (or solvent re-purification) process to displace any oxygen in the distillation still. If not for the nitrogen, the flammable solvent coupled with the oxygen could lead to an explosion. Hope this clarifies the discussion. Website: www.ravefabricare.com Daily blog: www.truequalitycleaning.com

AHTX

Reaction score
I'm a long-time lurker on SF - since Cox Cleaners is sadly closed, is there a new option for best dry cleaners in DFW? I know the owner of Cox sold the business to Avon, but I'm unsure if they kept his employees and equipment or merely his customer list since they closed the old location.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads