Best Drummer?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Connemara, Jul 31, 2008.

1. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

boris williams
    john bonham
    the guy from tool

-1 on neil peart (eeewwww)

2. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

Elvin Jones hands down. listen to any of his Coltrane-era stuff and prepare to be amazed.

-Jeff

3. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Without naming them (to avoid pissing people off), I'd say that some drummers mentioned in this thread really weren't all that great. They, however, were really great with the band that they were in.

4. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Without naming them (to avoid pissing people off), I'd say that some drummers mentioned in this thread really weren't all that great. They, however, were really great with the band that they were in.
    Why are you being so polite?

5. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

I consider this far more important. You are part of a band, not a solo instrumentalist. This applies for bassists and even lead guitar.

Some of my friends hate certain lead guitarists for showboating. Or as one person put it, "David Gilmour can say more in two notes than Joe Satriani can in 20".

The same is true for drumming. If the whole doesn't make sense, I don't care how good you can bang the skins. It's why you have to give props to guys like Topper, bonham and moon because their bands just weren't the same without them.

Look at Ma Tucker from VU. Some of her stuff is absolutely driving, such as on Sister Ray. It all needs to fit.

6. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I consider this far more important. You are part of a band, not a solo instrumentalist. This applies for bassists and even lead guitar.

Some of my friends hate certain lead guitarists for showboating. Or as one person put it, "David Gilmour can say more in two notes than Joe Satriani can in 20".

The same is true for drumming. If the whole doesn't make sense, I don't care how good you can bang the skins. It's why you have to give props to guys like Topper, bonham and moon because their bands just weren't the same without them.

Look at Ma Tucker from VU. Some of her stuff is absolutely driving, such as on Sister Ray. It all needs to fit.

But that's just it. If you took Bonham, Ringo, or Larry Mullen, Grohl, Lombardo and put them in a different musical environment, they'd fail miserably or may not have the skills to keep up or even fit in. Not so with drummers like Peart, Bellson, Cobham, Phillips, Copeland, etc.

So, to say that those drummers are the "best drummers" would be difficult. There are drummers out there that can do IT ALL (or at least much more than other drummers).

And before anyone jumps down my throat, U2, Led Zeppelin (two of my favorites of all time), The Beatles, etc. are great / legendary bands and couldn't have done with anyone else as their drummer (except an immitation). But to say that they have the greatest drummers falls short for me.

7. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Tim "Herb" Alexander

8. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

But that's just it. If you took Bonham, Ringo, or Larry Mullen, Grohl, Lombardo and put them in a different musical environment, they'd fail miserably or may not have the skills to keep up or even fit in.

Didn't McCartney famously say that Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles?

I'm partial to Max Roach and Art Blakey, but I must acknowledge the genius of Peart.

What about other percussionists, congueros like Poncho Sanchez?

9. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

^^^

Man, almost forgot about Max Roach.

10. quevola

quevola Senior member

What? No love for Sheila E?

11. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

But that's just it. If you took Bonham, Ringo, or Larry Mullen, Grohl, Lombardo and put them in a different musical environment, they'd fail miserably or may not have the skills to keep up or even fit in. Not so with drummers like Peart, Bellson, Cobham, Phillips, Copeland, etc.

So, to say that those drummers are the "best drummers" would be difficult. There are drummers out there that can do IT ALL (or at least much more than other drummers).

And before anyone jumps down my throat, U2, Led Zeppelin (two of my favorites of all time), The Beatles, etc. are great / legendary bands and couldn't have done with anyone else as their drummer (except an imitation). But to say that they have the greatest drummers falls short for me.

Versatility is only one mark of greatness, and not necessarily the most important (unless you're a studio musician.) Besides, I question your picks of guys who could "do it all." Yeah, Bonham would've sucked in Ellington's band; Louis Bellson would've sucked in Led Zeppelin, too"”not because he couldn't have played the parts, but because he couldn't have played them right.

Grohl and Mullen are solid and swinging; their playing is musical, and appropriate to their ensembles. They might be capable of more, but it never sounds as if they're trying to prove anything: they're team players. I'd rather hear that than, say, Carl Palmer, who could play virtually anything faster than anyone...but none of it in time.

That said, I don't know that I would recognize Dave Grohl's playing in four bars. John Bonham, OTOH, is instantly recognizable. There's a lot to be said for a drummer who has a unique voice; it's not the easiest instrument on which to develop one, especially in rock music.

12. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

Oh, and +1 on Sheila E., Pancho Sanchez, and let's not forget Tito Puente.

13. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

Oh, and +1 on Sheila E., Pancho Sanchez, and let's not forget Tito Puente.

I'm embarrassed to say that I did forget Tito Puente. Not completely, but I was blanking on the name for some reason.

14. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

No sweat. None of us has mentioned Mongo Santamaria, either.

15. Fulcannelli

Fulcannelli Senior member

Haha, I think that guy had sex with my sister.

I've shaved since then....[​IMG]

I watched some old videos of Keith Moon not long ago and I was really impressed with his drumming, blew me away.