1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best driving shoe/moc? Tods? Carshoe? other? taking into account cost...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pg600rr, Mar 4, 2012.

1. pg600rr

pg600rr Senior member

Been wanting to get a few pairs of driving shoes/mocs for a while, and with spring/summer fast approaching here in the NE I want to start my search. I really like this style: http://blog.purentonline.com/index....est-colors-for-spring-summer-2010-collection/

Tods Gommino or Gommini? but didnt really want to drop $450 a pair.... I'd love to locate some of those for around $250-$275 but ebay seems pretty sparse in my sz.

Any other options with similar style/color choices worth considering? I came across Carshoe but they are pretty much the same price...

OR any ideas where to locate some Tods gommini at a discount?

2. blahman

blahman Senior member

Try one of the Herring ones or just go get a pair from Zara or something. Once the rubber studs are worn down the shoes go straight to the bin anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  3. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Will you use them for driving or mostly for walking?

4. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

I would also consider Sabelt in your search. MSRP is closer to $300-350 rather than the $450+ commanded by Tod's.

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

There are quite a few options on Yoox made by Carshoe for $250 +/-

6. GusW

[​IMG]
    Car shoes look nice IMO.

7. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Member

Will you wear these whilst driving and then change into ordinary shoes once at your destination? An unlined penny loafer with rubber sole would be more versatile.

8. GusW

But, suede drivers are so cool these days for walking around and styl'n. Lets not try and be practical :)

9. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I don't really like spike soles. They tend to wear out super quick for me(toe area are the worst due to gap between spikes and toe)I like to wear drivers just casually with jeans and sometimes on Friday at office. I was on the market for a solid pair of drivers and found the RL drivers . I like how they have a proper sole (not spikes or island soles). And they are super soft leather.I have been wearing them for a while now and lots of walking on them and they are holding up quite well.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  10. pg600rr

pg600rr Senior member

Will you wear these whilst driving and then change into ordinary shoes once at your destination? An unlined penny loafer with rubber sole would be more versatile. [/quo

Just planning on wearing them as regular shoes during the s/s, however with that said I do not do a ton of walking...no longer living in the city.. so I think I would get some good time out of them even with rubber nubs. But I do see how they'd have to be tossed once the nubs wore off..

you would think they would come up with nubs that can withstand pretty much anything.

11. pg600rr

pg600rr Senior member

those do look nice, pic looks like its from yoox but I am not seeing them on there?

12. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

+1. I actually bought a pair of Cole Haans a couple years back (the ones with the "Air Technology"). I think I got them for like $60. They are insanely comfortable and have lasted me two years of regular wear. And everywhere I wear them people ask if they're Tod's.

Like blahman says, there's no need to invest in a shoe that is inherently disposable. Save your money for a proper pair of loafers and get a nicely-styled, cheaper driving shoe.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  13. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  14. Romp

Romp Senior member

Just came across this thread -

If you are after plain coloured men's driving shoes a range has been loaded over at www.andytom.com - hand made and stitched in Italy, all $199, shipped globally and can be personalised with your initials. Ive put a pair side by side with my Tod's and the quality and fit is on par hence I decided to collaborate with these guys to do a pair in Camo on the Owen and James website

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. PieterMais

PieterMais Member

[​IMG]

Hi! I am new to this forum but actually found it looking for the same thing as you. I have also been looking for a more affordable alternative to the Tods Gommino loafers. After some extensive searching I found a brand called Aurélien which also sells similar driving shoes. The thing that decided for me to give them a try was their no middlemen strategy and that they are also made in Italy. I bought a pair for 124,95€. I received them a couple of days later and I am very enthousiastic about them. I would definetely recommend as the quality is great and they are almost identical tot the Tods.

You can find them here:

www.aurelien-online.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016