• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best driving loafers in the $100 price range

cardguy

Reaction score
I own a pair of Banana Republic Gibson driving loafers in brown:

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/Asset_...8-02vliv01.jpg
http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...scid=547908062

I like the style of the shoe, as it's understated, comfortable, and looks decent with jeans or chinos, but after three months this pair is wearing very poorly. I don't want to blow another $100 on BR shoes if they're just going to fall apart this quickly, so I was wondering what you all suggest for a shoe that is in a similar style and price range. Is $100 a reasonable amount to spend while expecting a decent pair of driving loafers, or should I be upping my price range in order to find a quality pair?

Thanks!

Rizzy Rich

Reaction score
Wear either one in my hood and you're gonna get popped from all angles, ya dig?

closetmess

Reaction score
Those aren't, umm, really drivers. And it has nothing to do with price range. If you aren't willing to spend Car Shoe or Tods money just yet, find some Cole Haan's like these on sale and go from there.

Risk_Reward

Reaction score
They are DRIVING loafers, they are for DRIVING.

Walking in DRIVING loafers damages them. They are designed for DRIVING.

If you find a pair of loafers that don't get damaged from walking they are NOT DRIVING loafers.

If you have a sports car and want narrow shoes for fast DRIVING, get DRIVING loafers. If that description doesn't fit, don't get DRIVING loafers.

How often does this question come up anyway? I've been here a month and it seems way too often.

cardguy

Reaction score
Hi R_R,

The shoes are wearing on the front of the toe. There's no walking-related wear on them (the soles are fine, etc.) It seems to be a problem with the leather, not something intrinsic to the type of shoe.

Did you have any recommendations for alternative models? What a normal loafer be more appropriate for day-to-day wear?

Thanks!

enginerd917

Reaction score
I purchased last years model of these and had the same experience but I did a lot of walking in them so I was in no way surprised of the "premature" wear.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Risk_Reward

If you find a pair of loafers that don't get damaged from walking they are NOT DRIVING loafers.

If you have a sports car and want narrow shoes for fast DRIVING, get DRIVING loafers. If that description doesn't fit, don't get DRIVING loafers.

How often does this question come up anyway? I've been here a month and it seems way too often.

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow. Could you explain a little more the difference between driving loafers and regular loafers?

lpresq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Sorry, I'm not sure I follow. Could you explain a little more the difference between driving loafers and regular loafers?

Well, they are certainly spelled differently.
teacha.gif

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Risk_Reward

So do you change from your driving loafers prior to getting out of the car? How does that work exactly? How much driving does one need to do to justify shoes that are ONLY for driving?

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have no arch support. Poor walking shoes.

cardguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
They have no arch support. Poor walking shoes.

Hi Westinghouse,

To combat this, I wear orthotic insoles in the shoes.

So, could someone recommend a good pair of loafers (drivers or otherwise) that go well with jeans and chinos in the $100 to $150 price range?

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cole Hahn is good. To Boot is better.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J Crew Millbrook dirvers..........can get them cheap on sale.

larryr

Reaction score
Geox makes a similar shoe in that price range

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics