• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Drivers for the money?

dangolf1820

Reaction score
What are some good options for drivers? I like the look of Ballys, but I don't want to drop $400+ for a pair? Tod's also look nice but they are rather expensive as well. I'm very into quality, so what would be a good quality pair for under $300?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Styleforum. Does out-sourcing matter to you?

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driver and quality doesn't go we'll together. Just stick with eBay made in China drivers; they are as good as the name brand ones.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though Chogall speaks blasphemy on the 'made in China' point, he speaks truth about lifespan. The China drivers will wear just as good as their high brow counterparts. Some of them may even look as good.

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought the same JCrew drivers for the past 4 summers..........can't go wrong, especially on sale.

I also have some Cole Haan grant pairs that I get from the outlets for like $50..........have 3 different colors in suede.

I don't see the point in spending more than $150 for drivers as they tend to take a beating - especially in the really hot months.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Good advice. Fins or Polo are good. I would aim for the ones with more robust soles (those rubber islands) rather than nubs, they will probably last longer and not deteriorate so quickly as the nubs used by the likes of Tods.

allaboutshoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well depends really on how much of a driver you want and how much you want to spend. Instead of buying a driver with the dot bottoms (IE like Tods) that is basically disposable and cost $400, try to find something with a more substantial sole. I've seen a few from Cole Haan, Ecco In Nordstrom that ran about $150-$200. I also saw a another brand called Marc Joseph NY that mainly makes womens shoes for years (my mom wears them and swears by the comfort) but recently starting making Mens. Tried em on and had to buy them! Very comfortable and they wear great. Im usually very hard on my drivers and throw em out after a month of good wear but I already have these 6 months and they still look great and have plenty of life left. They also look great with jeans as well as dress slacks.

Last edited:

allaboutshoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic. These are already 6 months old

Geezer

Reaction score
http://www.carshoe.com/uk/en/heritage

A tad outside your price range, but the original Mostile 1963 driving shoes are still made, albeit by part of the Prada conglomerate, which is generally disliked on this forum.

I confess I have never quite got the point of them. They seem to be "an answer to a question that no-one asked" ((c) the late Col Jeff Cooper).

I presume Sebastian Vettel wears some kind of Nomex ankle boot. I cannot recall my own shoes ever slipping off the pedals of a variety of cars. And there is something risible about a man wearing Italian suede driving shoes and getting into a Civic, Prius or Camry. Or riding the subway.

If someone can tell me that Stirling Moss or the late Jim Clark liked them, I shall consider revising my prejudices.

Hotel Guy

Reaction score
Which cheap eBay drivers do you guys have experience with that are half decent?

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://www.carshoe.com/uk/en/heritage

A tad outside your price range, but the original Mostile 1963 driving shoes are still made, albeit by part of the Prada conglomerate, which is generally disliked on this forum.

I confess I have never quite got the point of them. They seem to be "an answer to a question that no-one asked" ((c) the late Col Jeff Cooper).

I presume Sebastian Vettel wears some kind of Nomex ankle boot. I cannot recall my own shoes ever slipping off the pedals of a variety of cars. And there is something risible about a man wearing Italian suede driving shoes and getting into a Civic, Prius or Camry. Or riding the subway.

If someone can tell me that Stirling Moss or the late Jim Clark liked them, I shall consider revising my prejudices.
Which cheap eBay drivers do you guys have experience with that are half decent?

If you driving a long trip or even 3 or 4 hours, It does not matter the type of car you drive. I wear them everytime I take a trip. If the weather is bad, I change shoes in the car.

bwp

Reaction score
Cheap is the way to go, If you are doing anything more than driving in them they tend to only last a summer or two. Nordstrom Rack usually has quite a few options for <$75.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics