• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Dressed Statesman

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Daniel Patrick Moynihan, brilliant academic and distinguished US
Senator. Ivy League dresser to the core.

Attachments

• 1561494504249.png
    1561494504249.png
    220.6 KB · Views: 95

EdT

Reaction score
Geez. With a name like Markus Wolf you have to be a spymaster.

If you're talking about spies, then I give the honor to The Cambridge Five as best well dressed. Soviet spies with one of it's members rising up in ranks to be the head of MI5 ...spies with aristocratic upbringing with Savile Row taste in clothing.

can't beat that ! ...LoL

suitedcboy

Reaction score
Daniel Patrick Moynihan, brilliant academic and distinguished US
Senator. Ivy League dresser to the core.
I have huge respect for Moynihan and his efforts and accomplishments.
BUT, I smell mothballs every time I see someone similarly attired in that "Ivy League" style. I know I am likely making something out of almost nothing but I don't even like Ivy, whether it is poison ivy or the usual variety.

Schwazer

Reaction score
If you're talking about spies, then I give the honor to The Cambridge Five as best well dressed. Soviet spies with one of it's members rising up in ranks to be the head of MI5 ...spies with aristocratic upbringing with Savile Row taste in clothing.

View attachment 1197762 can't beat that ! ...LoL

Not sure if you would consider Kim Philby a statesman though. But here is a photo of the high ranking head of British Intelligence.

gettyimages-3310061_wide-e093256641a535148ad2ab77791dee28a0ce9201-s800-c85.jpg

amiga505

Reaction score
enter Ukraine...

although it remains to be seen if our new president can govern, the fact that he dresses well and looks boyish is a welcome change in my eyes...

10200144.jpg

zel700.jpg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another Spymaster, CIA Director Allen Dulles:
Sack-suited patrician.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Riva @gfmozart and others who think it's a bit warm for CM in the tropics/Texas...

As the Charles de Gaulle continues its 'Clemenceau' mission and was recently berthed here for those 1 in 100 lucky enough to make the shortlist to visit it, here are some photos from the Embassy on its namesake's visit in 1920... no A/C back in the days! 30 Celsius and 100% humidity, well, the white bucks and pith helmets are concessions to the weather I guess:

Photos from Matthieu Seguela's article (here in PDF).

He may only have been a normal citizen when he arrived, but he certainly looked like, and was received as, a true statesman. Is it elegance? Bearing in mind his size, his advanced aged, that he could retain dignity and project strength ("there are no sicknesses, my friend, only sick people") is impressive to me, even if we're unlikely to see similar choices made anywhere here outside @Clouseau's Military Challenge. The sportier appearance resonated with his own rather progressive views for the time, such as anti-colonialism and the women's vote ("they may there fulfil better the role that their conjoints are sometimes failing to").

Last edited:

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Riva @gfmozart and others who think it's a bit warm for CM in the tropics/Texas...

As the Charles de Gaulle continues its 'Clemenceau' mission and was recently berthed here for those 1 in 100 lucky enough to make the shortlist to visit it, here are some photos from the Embassy on its namesake's visit in 1920... no A/C back in the days! 30 Celsius and 100% humidity, well, the white bucks and pith helmets are concessions to the weather I guess:

View attachment 1202261

View attachment 1202263

View attachment 1202265

View attachment 1202264

Photos from Matthieu Seguela's article (here in PDF).

He may only have been a normal citizen when he arrived, but he certainly looked like, and was received as, a true statesman. Is it elegance? Bearing in mind his size, his advanced aged, that he could retain dignity and project strength ("there are no sicknesses, my friend, only sick people") is impressive to me, even if we're unlikely to see similar choices made anywhere here outside @Clouseau's Military Challenge. The sportier appearance resonated with his own rather progressive views for the time, such as anti-colonialism and the women's vote ("they may there fulfil better the role that their conjoints are sometimes failing to").
It was not so hot back then. These places were near the harbour, had proper ventilation and there were much less people and more trees.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
enter Ukraine...

although it remains to be seen if our new president can govern, the fact that he dresses well and looks boyish is a welcome change in my eyes...

10200144.jpg

zel700.jpg
Looks like Tom Ford O'Connor cut?

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was not so hot back then. These places were near the harbour, had proper ventilation and there were much less people and more trees.

I must say the lack of current global warming and the forest free from palm oil industry created a weather cool enough to wear almost anything back then. Regardless I understand they were properly dressed even in places far away from their cold homelands.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Under Secretary of State Sumner Welles.
FDR Administration

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ing.Mauricio Macri, President of Argentina

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads