Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best dressed movie character

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Wjleier, May 23, 2011.

1. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

No?
    [​IMG]

Shia is a no no no no no no ...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Daseinflaw

Daseinflaw Senior member

I like the jacket he's wearing and I like Michael Douglas's sportcoat.

3. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

Maybe Ron Burgundy.

the fella had suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.

4. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

5. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Shia wasn't so great in the previously posted picture, but I really liked the cut of his suits in other scenes.

From a business perspective, it's hard to go wrong with Gekko in the first Wall Street. That character's wardrobe embodied everything 80s Wall Street in that movie - suspenders, crooked tie bar, bold tie, striped shirts, contrast collars.

6. Arsenal

Arsenal Well-Known Member

Also TV...but... COME ON! [​IMG]

7. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

+1

+1 for most Bonds.

Also, Colin Firth in A Single Man. Lots of bad recommendations in this thread though.

8. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Richard Gere in Pretty Woman

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Someone may want to vote for Richard Gere in American Gigolo as well...

9. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

I agree in principle - but that's not Bale at his best, IMHO. He was impeccable as Bruce Wayne. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I must very much disagree. The suits in The Dark Knight were a disaster. Low gorge, windsor/half windsor knots, gap between the lapels and collar in almost every shot. The scene where he gives the speech in the penthouse before the Joker shows up I remember being mesmerized by how poorly the fit was on the jacket considering how much advertising Armani did to highlight the fact he was wearing their suits. Even in the pictures you posted there is gap, and the pants look to be pleated.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

11. JDMills

JDMills Senior member

Loved David Niven in Pink Panther or any movie, or Michael Caine in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

12. harry2quinn

harry2quinn Senior member

I must very much disagree. The suits in The Dark Knight were a disaster. Low gorge, windsor/half windsor knots, gap between the lapels and collar in almost every shot. The scene where he gives the speech in the penthouse before the Joker shows up I remember being mesmerized by how poorly the fit was on the jacket considering how much advertising Armani did to highlight the fact he was wearing their suits. Even in the pictures you posted there is gap, and the pants look to be pleated.
    I have no idea what you're talking about. Pants being pleated is a bad thing? Windsor or Half Windsor knots are unsightly? Even the low gorge is a stylistic choice - not a no-no. If there is indeed a gap between the lapel and collar, that's a sloppy detail - but if what you're talking about is exhibited in these pics... his jacket sits on his collar just fine. They may not be to your taste - but none of the things you've mentioned above is a 'disaster'.

13. Diavolo

Diavolo Senior member

I have to agree with you on the Connery Bond movies, after all I do write a blog about it. Anthony Sinclair's suits were always spectacular. But I hate the term "Conduit Cut." Anyone who I've seen used the term uses it incorrectly. I think it's an web-term because no book I've read ever uses the term.

And the North By Northwest suit is of course one of the greatest, but it's never been proven to have been made by Kilgour French & Stanbury. There is evidence that Grant's Beverly Hills tailor Quintino made the suit, specifically a label visible inside the jacket. It looks like the label probably says "Quintino" and clearly does not say "Kilgour French & Stanbury." Quintino was officially credited for Indiscreet a year earlier, but I'll have to watch the movie to see if the cut looks similar. I'm not familiar with Kilgour French & Stanbury suits of that time, but the NBNW suit does not look particularly English.

I love your blog and I would love it if you moved onto The Saint, Dangerman (Secret Agent in the US) and even The Baron.

14. kasakka

kasakka Senior member

Any of you seen Gangster No. 1? Made in 2008 with Malcolm McDowell and Paul Bettany. Both play the same character, just different age and it's mostly narrated by McDowell. In parts it's sort of like a SF member was in the 70s and was also a complete nutter. I dig Bettany's blue suit. http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9...sterno1qo6.jpg (link in case the pic doesn't work) [​IMG]