1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

best dressed men in America

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by schmatalogist, Nov 17, 2004.

1. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ 17 Nov. 2004, 5:58)
    Hard to pick a category above, also tough to keep it in the US. Â Here's my top picks for best dressed/personal style: * Ralph Lauren * Tom Ford * Jude Law (oops not US) * Johnny Depp * Pierce Brosnan (recent US citizen) * Hugh Grant (not US again) * Bono (wow this is tough to keep in America) * agree on Matt Lauer above (the everyman vote-that is if everyone could afford an endless supply of Zegna suits) * honorable mentions to David Letterman (but only for the suits he wears on camera - off camera he doesn't try) and Tom Brokaw (he's a Paul Stuart devotee and he looks great dressed down too)
    Depp is dressed like a vagrant...
    you kind of look like him actually.
    and?

2. shuman

shuman Well-Known Member

Andre 3000, Pierce Brosnan, Matthew Broderick, European Businessmen (not American), thats all I can think of now...

3. ROT

ROT Senior member

The best dressed guys around here are the salesmen, owners and buyers for the independant clothiers. And the men who are dressed by them. Virginia (and Richmond in particular) is very conservative. In general, I'm adrift in a style-less sea of khaki.

I'd have to agree with the posts citing Matt Lauer. He did sell suits for a while, so that may contribute to his giving a damn. Colourblind, though. Used to have his manager give him the high sign when a tie clashed on a layout.

4. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

Yes, Matt Lauer has nice suits, but I still have to go with Bryant Gumbel--I believe he used to (and still might) wear a lot of Joseph Abboud and the fabrics and textures are stunning.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Not all athletes are Shaq [​IMG] In terms of basketball players, I was thinking more along the lines of Rick Fox and Kobe Bryant. They are impressively tall, but not monstrous, they are astoundingly fit, (well, Rick tends to yo-yo. but he's more fit then I'll ever be,) move with a lot of physical confidence, and dress well, albeit conventionally. And there are lots of other sports as well. Professional soccer players, for example, usually are pretty normally proportioned, and look good in regular sized clothing.

6. arvi

arvi Senior member

bryant gumbel over matt lauer..looks like he pays great attention to tie knot & shirt collar

7. Jill

Jill Senior member

Living or dead?

Unfortunately, noone living comes to mind immediately. Dead, I could go on for sometime. My favorite "coffee-table" books are from the golden age of Hollywood. Cary Grant, Randolph Scott, William Powell, Tyrone Power (looks a bit like A Harris, doesn't he??), etc.

Today? In Hollywood, George Clooney isn't a dandy, but he's a (Dean-Martinesque) classic. He doesn't go for the punk, artsy-fartsy Johnny "I don't want to look like I'm trying so I'll dress like a squeegy-man and refuse to bathe or shave" Depp. Otherwise, I think Kelsey Grammar usually looks nice. Perhaps, Pierce Brosnan, Brad Pitt and ... WOW. I can't think of any more from the left coast.

Politics ~ Hmmm. Can't think of anyone who moves me. Arnold looks nice in a suit, but that could be the mannequin physique he has on which to hang clothes, more than the clothes themselves. I do know that he gets his shoes from Lattanzi.

Athletes ~ Deion and Michael Irvin scare me. What a waste of money. Can you IMAGINE how much fun you could have with their money? MI goes to our gym. Deion is local also, but I must say, they really don't fit in with the conservative fare of Dallas (ala Stanley Korshak) Otherwise, Hmm. Maybe there's a consulting job for me in the NFL/NBA/NHL, etc. OK, I just though of some more locals. Troy Aikman and Mike Modano usually look pretty good.

News Media ~ Fox's Rick Folbaum is the first one that comes to mind. There are others, but they escape me right now.

Wow. This is really sad. I'll have to start paying more attention.

8. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

actors - Tee shirt with tuxedo, nuff said
    athletes - some of the worst sartorial crimes ever
    businessmen - too many confuse expensive with good
    celebrities - 2 words: Michael Moore
    news anchors/reporters - wear unvented jackets... at thier ears when they sit
    politicians - at the top yes... they have consultants
    musicians - 2 words: Elton John

The answer, dear friends, is quite simple....
    Styleforum geeks

9. ernest

ernest Senior member

I agree but even politicians are often poor dressed.

10. bestmastertailor

bestmastertailor Well-Known Member

11. LA Guy

Damn, forgot about Mos Def. In the scheme of things, even if everyone is talking about Andre 3000 now, Mos Def probably has more natural style. He takes pretty normal things, puts in a bit of kick, and looks amazing most times. The layout in GQ featuring him wearing all things velvet last year was amazing. Definitely Def.

12. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

Got to be Tiger in atletics, all agree?

13. LA Guy

What about Sean Penn, Al Pacino and Robert De Niro? What about Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery (always properly turned out for a black tie event)?

Kelsey Grammar? Maybe, but his real life personality seems inextricable from his "Frasier" persona, and a less manly man I have never conceived of.

14. Jill

Jill Senior member

OK, I'll be the first to admit that I've grown dreadfully UN-hip with every passing year....but is THIS the same Andre3000 to which you refer? Â I'd only heard his name, but never seen a pic. Â If so, please tell me you're joking. [​IMG]

15. discostu004

discostu004 Senior member Affiliate Vendor

you guys talking about john malkovich....go into Scott & Co. the owner, scott hill, reminds me SO MUCH of JM. i even asked scott if people said he reminded them of anyone and he said yes and i said John Malkovich and he said yes. their voices are almost identical

16. LA Guy

No Jill, there is no Santa Claus. That *is* the famous Andre3000. Shake it, shake it, shake it like a Polaroid picture.... The pictures do him no justice, you've got to watch a video. The guy is a latter day James Brown, without the gut and drugs, and way more moves.

17. Sevcom

Sevcom Senior member

Jill, for a less ... outre Andre, check out Esquire's best dressed men of the year issue. He rocks some snazzy RLPL clothes that on other guys would look fogey-ish. 'sides, he doesn't seem to go for the wild Native American costumes these days; it's more of an especially colourful preppy look. Though even when he was wilder, he looked damn cool.

18. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

In the Andre 3000 vain of things, yes the man could wear a paper bag and still exude more style than I will ever dressed in Kiton...However, we've forgotten Farnsworth Bentley. Puff Daddy's former Valet/Personal Assistant/Umbrella Carrier [​IMG] The man takes preppy and colour matching to a new level. And he has his own line of high-end umbrellas. Here's the website  Aaron

19. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Perhaps we should invite Mr. Bentley to join our forum. According to one blog, his e-mail is gent411@aol.com Anyone want to let him know about us? Bradford

20. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Come on LA Guy, the Strokes? [​IMG] Those guys are utter tools, their style is pathetic. They look like indie kids with way too much money to spend.