1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best Dressed at Oscars?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by furo, Feb 26, 2012.

1. furo

furo Senior member

I used to think that Clooney was one of those that cared... until I saw him Sunday night...

2. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Well, my elliptical points were (1) saying Clooney "slays more ass in a month" isn't necessarily a direct refutation of Reborn's claim and (b) attributing "good-looking" and "successful" as contrasting modifiers is probably unnecessary when comparing anyone's volume of activities to that of Reborn.

As for Clooney, I am told that he is not gay. I'm told it is more like this:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  3. furo

furo Senior member

I pretty much disagree with everything you said there. The length of the shawl is exactly how it should be for a double breasted take on the dinner jacket. The proportions are nearly perfect, and I don't see any problems at all with how it frames his face, shoulders, chest, etc...

Trying to parse a comment from someone else's opinion (Despos) on shawl dinner jackets certainly does not apply to this particular look that Hanks had on, at least imo.

The tie is brilliant as well, and shows a bit of pop and character where allowed with traditional black tie; it suits his age well....

From blacktieguide:

[​IMG]

4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

:laugh: what did he say? thanks dude. moneyball was fantastic though.

5. deandbn

deandbn Senior member

Well if they are getting dressed by the highest level designers, most of them look terrible and have no idea. George looked really Clowny in his outfit. Hanks suit fitted, but his hank was too wide, bow a bit too droopy, and the cuffs... :embar: just saying

Having said that, I thought that Tom Cruise was lookng very together and particularly snappy.

6. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

And in the interests of balance I pretty much agree with everything Testudo wrote.

There's no doubt Hanks made an extra effort and in doing so elevated himself above most all of the other dinner suit wearers on the night, but if his jacket had peaks, or a longer 4 x 1 shawl (without vents) and a narrower bow he would have been close to perfection IMO.

7. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

Google "mafoofan Rubinacci dinner jacket" to see what a 4x1 shawl can do for someone with a figure much farther away from the classical ideal than Hanks's. Or look at what Bogart's 4x1 shawl in Casablanca does for him, even though he was quite short. Now imagine them in a two-to-button shawl like the one you show from BTG. You will see that they were wise to choose 4x1.

I didn't say that the 6x2 shawl made Hanks look bad. Any well-tailored coat with a classical silhouette on a man with a good figure will look good. I said that the coat did not make him look as good as a 4x1 would have. Hanks does look good in his coat. But in a 4x1 shawl as well tailored as that, he would have looked great.

As for the tie: my principle is that your tie should not make you look as though you are gift-wrapped. The tie is supposed to guide the eyes to the face, not pull them away from it.

P.S. I do agree that his tie is way better than the depressingly straight and rigid pre-tied ones we so often see. Those are abominations. This is just moderately bad.

8. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

That gown is excellent. The color, the cloak, and the diagonal ruching nicely hide how emaciated she is. Is the cloak a separate?

The woman behind her left shoulder would have done well to have worn a gown like Paltrow's in black or another dark solid.

9. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

why?

10. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

that works? wow, amazing. little basta.d has come far...

11. apropos

apropos Senior member

Your examples cited are pretty flawed IMO.

Using as examples how 4x1s look on 2 shorter guys (5'8" and probably 5'3"), and then extrapolating to guesstimate how a 4x1 might look vs a 6x2 on 6'1" Hanks is decidedly stacking the deck [:lol:] in your favour.

Also, the 4x1s...

[​IMG][​IMG]

...acheive their effect on these shorter men by shifting the buttoning point down to lengthen the sweep of the lapel to make them look taller.

Doesn't make sense in my mind's eye to do that for the non-vertically challenged Hanks. You're 'fixing' an imaginary problem created in your own head.

Just my 0.02, and all IMO of course. :)

12. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

The tie is distracting, but I see it as flair and a return to the 70s without the peacock.

13. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Hanks easily the best dressed man, with Bradley Cooper second. Pitt/Firth both OK but neither wowed me.

From the ladies, Gwyneth Paltrow's gown is stunning. Sort of makes her look like a caryatid, which suits her posture and build perfectly. Cameron Diaz's dress suited her personality fairly well too.

14. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Hey! I never said that!:D

15. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

Sorry - Cloony doesn't make the grade. That morning we were in Saks Fifth Avenue Cleveland and there was a rack of tuxedos - many with peaked lapels but a few with notch lapels and I mentioned to my wife I expect George Cloony, who is so easy to picture in formal attire,would surely opt for the former. Then what the hell - he shows up on the big evening with notch lapels! Shame on him, even with the extremely attractive blonde....

16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

the only problem was too much boob coverage for me. :hide:

17. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

how is that a problem?!?

18. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

A legs contest between her and Angelina Jolie would have been enjoyable.

19. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

Who are the women with Cohen?

20. furo

furo Senior member

^ what he said.

The proportions on Hanks' DJ are perfectly fine imo