• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best dress shoe types and style with jeans

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is heavily dependent on how fit/tall you are actually (as well as what size shoe you wear).

You can likely pick up a pair of vintage Florsheim Imperial Longwings, have them shipped to a reputable cobbler, and have them refurbished & resoled with JR, Vibram, or Danite, all within your budget.

That said, I’m 6’4 or roughly 192cm, so for me a lot of brogues and details in my accessories doesn’t detract from an otherwise simple outfit. Further, Longwings can much more easily be dressed up or down than a purely formal shoe like a whole cut or cap toe Oxford.

well said. I agree that a much shorter person is likely better suited with a plainer shoe. (Pun always intended.)
here in NYC you see everything. I've seen gents with jeans and oxford pulled off quite well. A lot of you have suggested brogues. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of the complexities and busyness the brogues bring when worn. I'm a fan of simple uncluttered design. Suede derbies might be appropriate. I also like the idea of leather chukka. I'm still trying to grasp the wholecut silhouette with jeans but I think it can be done. I'm still not conivned oxford and jeans can't be done, but I think it really depends on the jeans. This is a look that's not unpopular here by some.
I can almost view wholecut like lowtop chukka boots.
How about a hybrid like an Adelaide or wholecut with a medallion?

nikolau

Reaction score
well said. I agree that a much shorter person is likely better suited with a plainer shoe. (Pun always intended.)

How about a hybrid like an Adelaide or wholecut with a medallion?

A hybrid like a wholecut with a medallion might actually look pretty good tomorrow but will the same be true in 3-10 years? I’m doubtful. Further, the brogue detailing on such a wholecut seems like a likely point of failure in the shoe after significant wear.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A hybrid like a wholecut with a medallion might actually look pretty good tomorrow but will the same be true in 3-10 years? I’m doubtful. Further, the brogue detailing on such a wholecut seems like a likely point of failure in the shoe after significant wear.
Brogues don’t fail.....wtf

nikolau

Reaction score
Brogues don’t fail.....wtf

On a wholecut wouldn’t a brogue literally be a hole punched all the way through the upper?? Otherwise it wouldn’t be a wholecut.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the OP’s price point I would avoid wholecuts. Because wholecuts use a larger (and thus more expensive) piece of leather, a $240 pair of wholecuts just won’t be made of good leather.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is just awful advice. The Crockett & Jones Weymouth has been around since before 2000. It was on the 337 last and now the current iteration is on the 373. The latter is more elongated. The brogue detailing is in the toe cap, and does not bend. I own a lot of shoes with toe medallions and the failure point is always the vamp.

IMO, wholecuts are a bit too dressy for jeans, even dark wash. I much prefer a country style shoe (derby, pebble grain, dainite sole, etc.) or even single or double monkstraps for jeans.

Chowkin

Reaction score
On a wholecut wouldn’t a brogue literally be a hole punched all the way through the upper?? Otherwise it wouldn’t be a wholecut.

No it isn’t. A wholecut, while made from a single piece of leather, would still have a leather lining.

Chowkin

Reaction score
IMO, wholecuts are a bit too dressy for jeans, even dark wash. I much prefer a country style shoe (derby, pebble grain, dainite sole, etc.) or even single or double monkstraps for jeans.

I admit that wholecuts are dressy but they still pair quite nicely with jeans:

22B96999-5ACE-4CA7-B80F-1532DBE0FA9A.png

Not that much different from a pair of Chelsea boots:
F74829C0-7F9D-443F-AED2-166757B8BBCD.png

mux8

Reaction score
How about suede oxfords? Still too formal?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about suede oxfords? Still too formal?

depends on the shoe. The suede definitely brings down the formal factor by a notch.

Why are you so locked in on oxfords? There are so many better options.

Lem87

Reaction score
Why not wear a chelsea if you feel you need to over think it? Basically anything that slips on to your foot regardless of the style counts as casual. Maybe you're a closeted driving moc guy since you insist on casual shoes and not boots? That's what it sounds like to me..

mux8

Reaction score
haha, maybe... Chelsea's feel so.... bleh. Nearly every other guy is wearing a chelsea these days. The elastic also don't interest me. Maybe it's time to try Jodhpur Boots?

Lem87

Reaction score
haha, maybe... Chelsea's feel so.... bleh. Nearly every other guy is wearing a chelsea these days. The elastic also don't interest me. Maybe it's time to try Jodhpur Boots?
I'd say that depends on how flirty you are with your ankles.... I say that as a guy who has 9 wellingtons (4 engineers 5 western styles). I also *ahem!* have my first MTO in the form of a nice chunky chelsea due to arrive some time in the next 2 weeks. It has a fat assed welt and chunky soles along with a whiskey shell upper to go with it. Does detail no one is really going to see, really matter?

Last edited:

mux8

Reaction score
Well everyone keeps suggesting chelsea boots, but the GF doesn't like chelsea's on men and says they look feminine and boring :(. In any case, summer is coming up which is why I prompted the discussion for non-boot styles that work well with jeans.

I have ordered some medium brown suede oxfords and split-toe derby shoes, hopefully those are more acceptable with jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads