• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best dress shirt for around $100?

DaveB

Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up a nice white and blue dress shirts for around 100 dollars each. I was looking at the Charles Tyrwhitt black label and sea island shirts that are in my price range because of the mid-season sale. Any other suggestions for a quality shirt (in my price range) that have slim fit option?

Bargs

Reaction score
Ian @ ShopTheFinest has Barba, Borrelli, & Finamore for just a few bucks more - $129-$139, far better shirts than what you're looking at.

Lowndes

Reaction score
I would take a look at Harvie & Hudson

nicad2000

Reaction score
You could get 2 Harvie and Hudson shirts for less than $100 right now, which represents a fantastic deal in dress shirts. That said, you could definitely get something of higher quality for the $100. Try Gitman, if you don't mind the blousier fit.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or, you could find (or have made) one dress shirt that fits you really well and then have any number of shirt shops out of asia make all of them that you want for about $50 each. Jantzen is a favorite of the forum.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicad2000
You could get 2 Harvie and Hudson shirts for less than $100 right now, which represents a fantastic deal in dress shirts.

I agree. I think H&H shirts are better than anything CT makes at any price.

My only gripe with H&H shirts is that for some things, they are too nice. They have quite nice MOP buttons which, in the hands of many hotel laundries, end up as MOP shards. I have taken to using TM Lewin shirts -- which are even cheaper than H&H shirts -- for travel. They aren't nearly as nice as H&H shirts but they are quite robust and perfectly adequate. They are also incredibly cheap. So cheap that I'm not really to bothered if a particularly energetic hotel laundry does happen to destroy one.

DaveB

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I am sure I am missing something painfully obvious but I am looking on the Harvie and Hudson website and only see a section for custom made shirts for +100 euros. I see a thing on the right saying they have a a winter sale but cant seem to find where the dress shirt selections are located. If anyone could pm a link to where I can order Harvey and Hudson shirts it would be appreciated.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the page.

http://www.harvieandhudson.com/products.phtml

H&H doesn't have the best website and they are always messing with it. Currently, there doesn't seem to be a link to shirts. They're probably counting their stock or something. Try again in a day or two. In the alternative, you might give them a call, especially if you know what you are looking for. They're very helpful. BTW, if you are in the U.S., note that, while you pay shipping, the prices are 15% lower than those posted as you don't pay VAT.

davidmross

Reaction score
You aren't blind. The bloody shirt section has disappeared!

I was just having a look two nights ago and it was there. Hopefully it will be back soon.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
are H&H shirts MTM? I see they're in NYC now, I may pay a visit. What can one expect to pay for a basic solid white dress shirt? Are they made in UK?

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DaveB
I'm looking to pick up a nice white and blue dress shirts for around 100 dollars each. I was looking at the Charles Tyrwhitt black label and sea island shirts that are in my price range because of the mid-season sale. Any other suggestions for a quality shirt (in my price range) that have slim fit option?

Honestly I prefer Brooks Brothers at that price point. Hickey Freeman has some nice stuff around that price as well.

highball

Reaction score
If it were me and I had $100 to spend on one shirt I would do MyTailor MTM.

If I had an average of $100 to spend on a number of shirts I would find a quality well-fitting shirt and not worry about price. Then I'd use that as a template for future orders from MyTailor, Jantzen, or other online MTM shirtmakers at well below the $100 price point.

pred02

Reaction score
You aren't blind. The bloody shirt section has disappeared!
I couldn't find H&H slim fit shirts and I swear they had some a couple of weeks ago.

Also - is shipping to the US 20 pounds? That seems a bit much, I know TM Lewin charges 8 pounds for the entire order.

Thanks!

elgreco

Reaction score
First of all, H&H uses MOP buttons? I thought these were plastic because one of mine broke last week as I went to button it.

Secondly, I heartily recommend H&H. I love the shirts I have from there and I am wearing one right now. I can't imagine I'll be straying much from them in the years to come, esp. when I compare these shrits to the ones I have from TML and CT.

TexasLidig8r

Reaction score
If you have a J. Hilburn representative in your area, you can get MTM shirts for $99 up to $149 each. They'll come to your office, measure you there, let you go through all of their patterns and sample... you get your shirt in about 3 weeks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads