• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best discount alternative to BB for dress shirts (that I will tailor to fit)

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to increase the size of my dress shirt rotation. My current rotation is blue or white solid shirts. They are BB extra slim fit with additional tailoring for more taper.

ESF BB shirts are $70/ea. They are thicker than average, and I like that you can not see the undershirt. This is a must.

But, I want to move to a point where shirts are cheaper and disposable. I want to find a handful of cheaper $20-$30 dress shirts, and tailor them all for $10/pop. Since I will taper the sleeves, sides, and add darts, I do not need slim fit. I just need not terrible quality cloth.

If you had to wear a cheaper dress shirt, which mainstream stores or brands would you suggest ? I will go through these quicker if need be, since they are cheaper. I want to pick up like 10 blue and white shirts that are decent, and just toss them when they stain, fray, etc.

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've had good luck with lands end.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i've had good luck with lands end.

Another good idea, but these are most like $60 shirts.
In that case, I'd just go with BB.
LE might work if you stick to sales, however.

I am looking for something more disposable like in the $30 range.

Last edited:

moreorles

Reaction score
This is the exact thing I do. Working in an environment that can sometimes be rough on dress shirts. I keep a rotation of about 10 shirts. I never spend more than $25 per shirt up front and rarely that much. The key is hitting up the clearance section on men's wear websites. I wear Neiman Marcus, Land's End (these hold up well), Jos A Banks, even some Brooks Bros. (these are hard to find at this price point)

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Banana Republic has 40% off sales frequently (pretty much every month) and I like their quality. They fit well and might not need tailoring. They would end up being $40-$50 though.

atila

Reaction score
I'd just like to know where you can get your shirt tailored from sleeve to sides for $10/pop. My tailor, who does fantastic work, charges about $20-30 on average to get the shirts where I need them.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd just like to know where you can get your shirt tailored from sleeve to sides for $10/pop. My tailor, who does fantastic work, charges about $20-30 on average to get the shirts where I need them.

You need to find a seamstress outside of the metro area and take the trip.
I do alterations in bulk. 7 shirts at a time, for example.

jt10000

Reaction score
SCORE!
http://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage-404205_WQ.html
http://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage-404204_WQ.html
I just ordered a batch of shirts from Land's End.
They're $25 on clearance, and only $18/ea. after the additional discount code.
7 shirts and 1 pair of linen trousers for $190 shipped.
Big thanks to foodguy and moreorless.
What's the return procedure for LE ?

Those are their traditional fit shirts, which are quite blousy and loose. I know you're getting them tailored, but there'd be less tailoring if you got their trim fit.

Also, if you're not going to wear a tie you can size down in LE shirts to get a tighter fit. I've got some 15x33 LE trim fit that fit similar to 15.5x33 Brooks Bros ESF.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, I tailor them right from the cuff, up the sleeve, and down the sides.
The main benefit of slim fit is that the sleeves are generally accurate..

The clearance deals were not available for tailored fit.
Frankly, I decided it wasn't worth paying a premium for slim fit b/c they all need to be tailored anyway.
So, I am going to take a swing with the $18 traditional fat guy shirts.

I generally wear ties. So, I need the collar to be right.
But that's a good move if you know you'll be leaving the collar open.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads