• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Direction for MTM Shirts

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently I bought a new zegna shirt online with the measurements I normally wear for relatively cheap to see how it would go. Needless to say, either I am missing some expertise/tricks or buying online is a bit of a crap shoot and RTW just never seems to fit quite right for me personally. For reference, I am about 6' 4", 190 lbs and normally wear about a 16.5/42 with a rather long sleeve (probably a 37). There just seems to be a lot of lacking on consistency on sizing.
Needless to say I went to see a guy at the best men's store we have around (Ohio isn't exactly known for its brand names). He did not carry Brioni or Kiton or any of that tier, but he did have some barbera and what seemed to be his major selling point Zegna. The salesperson told me that zegna had the best MTM and RTW (combined i.e. both taken into account) of just about anyone and for my build type a MTM zegna would be the best way to go. Now I don't mind shelling out some cash, but it had better be exactly what I want and I don't want to be getting ripped off. Depending on the fabric, his price was ~$300-500 per shirt. Is this really worth it? Or have people had better luck elsewhere? I just want the shirt to be of nice quality and custom fitted to me how I want it, whatever the brand may be. I would probably pay that price if it was my only choice, but I admit it seems pretty steep for a single shirt. Recommendations?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See if Mytailor.com visits any cities near you in Ohio. They have very good fabric books, Thomas Mason, Tessitura Monti, David and John Anderson. Thomas Mason silver are usually in the $150 range. They go up from there, but there are very nice fabrics in the silver range. I find it helpful to feel and see the fabric texture in person rather than just ordering on-line. Also, having their tailor measure you and ask about your fit preferences helps a lot. I had one shirt made up first and had hte rest of my order held until they go the pattern exact, but there were hardly any tweaks from my first shirt. Just slimming the arms a little more and tightening one wrist. The fit was nearly perfect and much better than any OTR shirt I've ever worn. By my second group of shirts the fit was spot on.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
there is a guy in columbus name Boris. who will make you a shirt on site for a lot less money then your overpriced store.

some stores may have custom programs with one of the large factories in New Jersey. those will also be lower priced then What this salesmen is pushing

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
there is a guy in columbus name Boris. who will make you a shirt on site for a lot less money then your overpriced store.

I will certainly look into this. Quick question however, in whomever would be so kind as to reply's opinion. Is it a better deal to strictly go with MTM or is there something to be said for buying a nice shirt that fits in the sleeves and shoulders and then having the body tailored?

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Where in OH?

ishakir

Reaction score
Not to de-rail,

Anyone have any recs for reasonably priced customs in Cleveland?

Thanks

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gauss17
I will certainly look into this. Quick question however, in whomever would be so kind as to reply's opinion. Is it a better deal to strictly go with MTM or is there something to be said for buying a nice shirt that fits in the sleeves and shoulders and then having the body tailored?

i have never done it(had the body tailored), but my brothers have and the shirts came out fitting just the way they wanted

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if the collar and shoulders fit, you can always take in the body a certain percentage
but it is hard to make a full cut shirt fit a very slim body with out messing with the balance

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads