• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Desktop for Gaming

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gaming Desktops, searched online but all I get is these BS consumer reports. Whats the deal SF? Not looking to spend a ton, preferably under 1k.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The easiest answer would be to build your own rig - buy all your own parts, and put it together yourself. Tom's hardware has a regularly updated feature on the current best setup for a given budget.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe we have a desktop building thread in general discussion, I used it when I needed help building my new computer

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
The easiest answer would be to build your own rig - buy all your own parts, and put it together yourself. Tom's hardware has a regularly updated feature on the current best setup for a given budget.

This. You can control every option, plus you save a metric ****-ton of money that would otherwise have gone to some OEM's margin.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt my computer for around 700$ and I run every game I play well. CSS at 299 FPS and Bad Company 2 at around 40 FPS on highest settings. I bought a new moboard, video card, processor, ram, power supply and case. I only reused my hard drive and disk drive

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Althis
I rebuilt my computer for around 700$ and I run every game I play well. CSS at 299 FPS and Bad Company 2 at around 40 FPS on highest settings. I bought a new moboard, video card, processor, ram, power supply and case. I only reused my hard drive and disk drive

Originally Posted by robertorex

Yes. I built mine, which IMO is a BEAST for pretty much pennies compared to what you would be paying alienware to build the exact same thing.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't there problems that can arise when you build it yourself. Things such as incompatability? Choosing between athlon and intel

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say build according to some guide you can find - and there are forums out there that are dedicated to pc building. you're asking a forum that cares about **** like selvage and cufflinks.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Isn't there problems that can arise when you build it yourself. Things such as incompatability? Choosing between athlon and intel

Very unlikely unless you're especially inept, if you go with Intel you just match the socket number of your CPU to that of your motherboard, and then with memory if its for example DDR3 you just ensure that your motherboard is capable of DDR3 memory. That's pretty much the extent of your compatibility woes.

AFG34

Reaction score
if you don't want to assemble it yourself, buy all the parts and take it to a local computer shop, or maybe newegg does it..

try nicx.com i think they do assembly

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
$1289.90

I was including the $580 i7 Processor and $500 Sapphire Radeon HD5970 that were out of stock on the list. Now that I look, I didn't include the physical memory or the fan either.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by burningbright
I was including the $580 i7 Processor and $500 Sapphire Radeon HD5970 that were out of stock on the list. Now that I look, I didn't include the physical memory or the fan either.
Ah, well then yes, you would be right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads