• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best Desktop for Gaming

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gaming Desktops, searched online but all I get is these BS consumer reports. Whats the deal SF? Not looking to spend a ton, preferably under 1k.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The easiest answer would be to build your own rig - buy all your own parts, and put it together yourself. Tom's hardware has a regularly updated feature on the current best setup for a given budget.

Althis

Reaction score
I believe we have a desktop building thread in general discussion, I used it when I needed help building my new computer

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
The easiest answer would be to build your own rig - buy all your own parts, and put it together yourself. Tom's hardware has a regularly updated feature on the current best setup for a given budget.

This. You can control every option, plus you save a metric shit-ton of money that would otherwise have gone to some OEM's margin.

Althis

Reaction score
I rebuilt my computer for around 700$ and I run every game I play well. CSS at 299 FPS and Bad Company 2 at around 40 FPS on highest settings. I bought a new moboard, video card, processor, ram, power supply and case. I only reused my hard drive and disk drive

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Althis
I rebuilt my computer for around 700$ and I run every game I play well. CSS at 299 FPS and Bad Company 2 at around 40 FPS on highest settings. I bought a new moboard, video card, processor, ram, power supply and case. I only reused my hard drive and disk drive

Originally Posted by robertorex

Yes. I built mine, which IMO is a BEAST for pretty much pennies compared to what you would be paying alienware to build the exact same thing.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't there problems that can arise when you build it yourself. Things such as incompatability? Choosing between athlon and intel

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say build according to some guide you can find - and there are forums out there that are dedicated to pc building. you're asking a forum that cares about shit like selvage and cufflinks.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Isn't there problems that can arise when you build it yourself. Things such as incompatability? Choosing between athlon and intel

Very unlikely unless you're especially inept, if you go with Intel you just match the socket number of your CPU to that of your motherboard, and then with memory if its for example DDR3 you just ensure that your motherboard is capable of DDR3 memory. That's pretty much the extent of your compatibility woes.

AFG34

Reaction score
if you don't want to assemble it yourself, buy all the parts and take it to a local computer shop, or maybe newegg does it..

try nicx.com i think they do assembly

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
$1289.90

I was including the $580 i7 Processor and $500 Sapphire Radeon HD5970 that were out of stock on the list. Now that I look, I didn't include the physical memory or the fan either.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by burningbright
I was including the $580 i7 Processor and $500 Sapphire Radeon HD5970 that were out of stock on the list. Now that I look, I didn't include the physical memory or the fan either.
Ah, well then yes, you would be right.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.