Best denim tailor in LA?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by DGP, Dec 10, 2006.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I too just joined and usually do not involve myself on chat forums but I was googling info on denim and somehow wound up on this site. I noticed this thread and felt I needed to add my two cents on the matter.I was along time customer of Denim Doctors and a couple of months ago I received a phone call from them. Hollywood Trading Co. offered me a free hem. I took them up on the offer.I have to say I was very dissapointed by the original hem.It was done in the manner that my local tailor would have done by just folding it under and restitching it. It was definately not the way they have always done so. I took it over to the store on 3rd and they redid the hem the way I was used to. So I can personally tell you they have the original hems and I recognized the sewers in the back. Also I don't believe the owner of the Denim Revival was attacking anyone or belittling their competitors or people posting. I would for sure bring it to the attention to fix whatever was done wrong: food,tailoring, ect. I would never just walk away.

[​IMG]

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I'm done doing this on here.I've said what I needed to say and I think anyone outside of this little circle stirring problems will decipher the truth.It's a free world and people will go where they want to and that's what makes america beautiful.

Say hello to modernarchitecture for me.

3. ziphtc

ziphtc Member

I too actually had very shoddy workmanship done by what is now known as denim revival. I had the franken hem done awhile back and the edges kept curling up it looked retarded. They even used the wrong color thread when they assured me over and over it would look "original".

If I understood you correctly, a Frankinhem is a screwed up hem. If we at the Original Denim Doctors (now at Beverly and Martel) can be of service just let us know. Regarding thread color, I actually had custom dyed yellow thread produced so that we could make expensive look cool like they supposed to.

Respectfully,

Zip Stevenson
    Owner, Founder
    The Denim Doctors
    "since 1994''

4. ziphtc

ziphtc Member

i would avoid that place on 3rd. it's now called denim revival. i had them hem my jeans and specifically requested chain stitching and also requested to have the excess fabric preserved (for future repair work). of course they jeans weren't hemmed correctly because they just used a regular single stitch and the excess fabric was thrown away. i will never go there again.

denim doctors on beverly and martel are excellent. they hemmed my jeans perfectly and also remembered to keep the extra fabric. i highly recommend them and their service is fast and friendly.

Thank you for the high marks!!!!!

I wanted to set up at a new location because things were not working out with my ex-partner and we both wanted a fresh start. I aim to earn yours and the rest of L.A.'s trust and confidence, one customer at a time just like the way I started. If you have any tips on how I can improve your customer experience, I am ALL EARS [​IMG]

Zip Stevenson
    Owner, Founder
    The Denim Doctors
    "Since 1994''

Now on Beverly @ Martel

5. ziphtc

ziphtc Member

Always good to learn of some good tailors in the LA area... but does anyone know of any quality tailoring places in the southland? (read:Orange County)

[​IMG]

May I ask you to consider sending us your jeans? We have people from all over the country send us their jeans for repair and hemming with great success. Our address is:

The Denim Doctors @
    Hollywood Trading Co.
    7600 Beverly Blvd (at Martel Ave.)
    Los Angeles, CA, 90036.

(323) 964-0080

Thank you for considering my suggestion...

Respectfully,

Zip Stevenson
    Owner, Founder
    The Denim Doctors
    ''since 1994''

6. ziphtc

ziphtc Member

I too just joined and usually do not involve myself on chat forums but I was googling info on denim and somehow wound up on this site. I noticed this thread and felt I needed to add my two cents on the matter.I was along time customer of Denim Doctors and a couple of months ago I received a phone call from them. Hollywood Trading Co. offered me a free hem. I took them up on the offer.I have to say I was very disappointed by the original hem.It was done in the manner that my local tailor would have done by just folding it under and restitching it. It was definitely not the way they have always done so. I took it over to the store on 3rd and they redid the hem the way I was used to. So I can personally tell you they have the original hems and I recognized the sewers in the back. Also I don't believe the owner of the Denim Revival was attacking anyone or belittling their competitors or people posting. I would for sure bring it to the attention to fix whatever was done wrong: food,tailoring, ect. I would never just walk away.

I am very sorry ;( to hear your report of disappointing original hem. I have just been turned on to this forum and only wish I could have been a member of much, much sooner. Anyways, I would love to have a crack at turning you around as customer. I moved the Denim Doctors over to Beverly Blvd. to have a fresh start and we have been getting a lot of positive response and referrals from satisfied customers. If there is anyway to pursued you to give us another chance, I would jump at the opportunity!! [​IMG] I am a total Denimhead and I originally started The Denim Doctors in 1994, because I was so sad about how the local tailors (God bless them for the amazing work they do on Gowns and Wool suits) was hacking my jeans up and making them look like Dr. Frankinstein worked on them!!

Respectfully,

Zip Stevenson
    Owner, Founder
    The Denim Doctors
    ''since 1994''

7. ziphtc

ziphtc Member

i can't say enough about the service at htc. i've had at least 10 pairs of jeans chainstitch hemmed and the work was done perfect everytime. beth is one of the nicest people you'll meet and the store itself is awesome. i will never go anywhere else.

Thank you so much for the VERY HIGH Marks!!!!!!!!!

We are working very hard to earn your trust and confidence!!

Respectfully,

Zip Stevenson
    Owner, Founder
    The Denim Doctors
    ''Since 1994''

8. Dexstar

Dexstar Well-Known Member

my brother and i have taken about 4 pairs of denim to your store on martel for hemming... and though it is not the most arduous task... we were very satisfied each time... at a reasonable price too

I also wanted to ask how much do you charge for patching/reinforcing? also to taper non-selvedge jeans?

thanks

9. ziphtc

ziphtc Member

my brother and i have taken about 4 pairs of denim to your store on martel for hemming... and though it is not the most arduous task... we were very satisfied each time... at a reasonable price too

I also wanted to ask how much do you charge for patching/reinforcing? also to taper non-selvedge jeans?

thanks

Thank for the inquiry! Like Auto Body work on your favorite old car, each pair of jeans is given an individual assessment after which the possibilities are explained to the consumer. Most repairs cost between $ 21 and $ 35, The turnaround time is about a week or so depending on the the severity of the problem(s).

Respectfully,

Zip Stevenson
    Owner, Founder
    The Denim Doctors
    ''Since 1994''

10. flashback

flashback Senior member

I know a little secret about this thread I will share with all of you later.

its been almost a year now... care to share?

11. truestorytravis

truestorytravis Senior member

as long as this thread is up, i may as well throw out another shout to Denim Doctors on Beverly. Nice guys, very helpful and conscientious, and good work. Not cheap, but worth it to know the work will be done right. They've also got a small selection of Stevinson Overall and HTC stuff that's pretty nice.

PS - i want to know the secret too

12. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

They're still carrying Stevinson? Damn. That's definitely one brand I've been meaning to buy for the past two years.

13. truestorytravis

truestorytravis Senior member

couple of denim shirts, i think. maybe just one. i think jeans too, which look super nice.

14. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

Last time I went they were about to get in a bunch of loopwheeled tees. I haven't been back in a while though.

15. Leonard Leroy

Leonard Leroy Senior member

I kinda need a pair of jeans tailored, I wonder if they still do their tailoring services by mail.

I spammed all their emails, maybe I'll get not lazy and call in a bit.