• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best deep freeze winter cardigan ever?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This looks like a very low budget site run out of some guy's basement.
It's hard to get past that.

That is a crap website. It's like GeoCities circa 1996. Certainly doesn't inspire confidence in them. Sweaters International, what's the "international" part?

Last edited:

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, the site is not the greatest. However, the product is the key. There are not very many places that you can find sweaters like these. But, you can go to the source:
http://www.heratex.at/index2.htm

More importantly, the styling just comes off as "Dollar store".
Just looks too thick in the border ribbing. See the neck.

I guess I wasn't looking for "deep freeze" after all. Shawl collars, etc
I felt the JCrew 100% Cashmere for $250 was more versatile.
You can ear it at home, at work, and socially (Pictured above)[/B]

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tough to get past the ribbing and the shawl collar.
This looks very feminine.

Agreed. Proof:

Some random SF'er

0quRt.jpg

Some other random dude

5597040443_e52687ec43.jpg

In the full version of the pic below he's doing his best to distance himself from the cardigan's feminine vibes, using his right hand

mcqueen.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Buying cashmere anything from a mid-tier brand such as J Crew, IMO, is a bad idea.

Last edited:

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would suggest Dachstein wool.

Yes, but how many of the poor creatures must die in order to make just one sweater? Oh, wait...

url

It's ribbed for YOUR pleasure, Re. The ribbing and the high collar are key factors in making it warm and cozy.

Then again, if you're just trying to stay warm in the privacy of your own home, why even bother with a sweater?

url

gsugsu

Reaction score
^ easy to shear but rounding up enough of them is the problem

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Buying cashmere anything from a mid-tier brand such as J Crew, IMO, is a bad idea.

Is buying cashmere from JCrew a bad idea as in "not the optimal SF nitpicky" idea,
or more like it's a "really stupid and idiotic and you're getting ripped off blind" idea ?

I already ordered it, but can return it if it's a disaster.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Is buying cashmere from JCrew a bad idea as in "not the optimal SF nitpicky" idea,
or more like it's a "really stupid and idiotic and you're getting ripped off blind" idea ?

The latter. J Crew cashmere leaves a lot to the imagination from a wear-and-tear standpoint. 100% of the cashmere sweaters I had from J Crew (all 15 of them-- used to date a SA there) became insanely baggy and shabby looking within a year. I actually resorted to trying to wash and dry them in a washing machine to get them to shrink back into proportion. I would definitely avoid their knitwear. Even at $35 a pop (which was what I paid), the pain of knowing something fits like **** trumps the deal.

Last edited:

johnnyletrois

Reaction score

The latter. J Crew cashmere leaves a lot to the imagination from a wear-and-tear standpoint. 100% of the cashmere sweaters I had from J Crew (all 15 of them-- used to date a SA there) became insanely baggy and shabby looking within a year. I actually resorted to trying to wash and dry them in a washing machine to get them to shrink back into proportion. I would definitely avoid their knitwear. Even at $35 a pop (which was what I paid), the pain of knowing something fits like **** trumps the deal.

Would you say this is true of their wool sweaters as well? How much better/worse than Banana Republic or another equivalent?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Only have experience with their cashmere, cotton and cash/cotton sweaters, so I cannot definitively say that all of them act like this (the blanket statement might have been a bit too harsh). However, seeing as how it's a trend with 3/4 of their standard offerings, I wouldn't think it's a stretch to make the assumption. YMMV.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

To be fair, it really depends on how much you pay for cheap cashmere, and how often you plan to wear it. If someone bought a low-quality cashmere sweater for something like $75, and only planned to wear it a couple times a year, it wouldn't be such a bad deal. Especially if it were a design or color they were unsure of. Hard to justify spending $500 on a cream colored cable knit cashmere sweater if you don't know if you don't know you'll actually ever wear the thing.

But if you're sure you're going to wear it, and want it to last a long time, I would avoid cashmere from any low to mid-tier brands. The fibers are short and likely to pill, and the knitting isn't very dense, so it'll lose its shape more easily. Better to get something made from merino or lambswool, which are better at the kind of price points you'll pay. Lambswool can edge out here cause it's harder wearing, all things being equal, than merino.

Good cashmere from a non-fashion brand already runs about $350. Add all the marketing and retail hype that J Crew invests in, and you'd be looking at a bit more. J Crew can't justify selling at that price point, so it sells something for half that price and cuts a lot of corners, assuming that the consumer won't know any better anyway.

This kind of trick is perhaps most evident when you see how cashmere is marketed. Cashmere-cotton blends are marketed as cashmere. Cucinelli I think recently started doing this (or at least I've never noticed it before). It may have to do with its IPO. In any case, I recently saw some of their sweaters marketed as "Brunello Cucinelli CASHMERE" - with the cashmere written very boldly on the label. One peek inside, however, and you find that it's 95% merino and 5% cashmere. Prettty amazing. Shows how cashmere now is just a buzzword to get consumers to think something is better than it is, and it preys on people's ignorance.

For what it's worth, every sweater I've bought from J Crew over the last 17 years or so I've been unhappy with. This includes everything from cotton to merino to cashmere to whatever blend in between. I just don't think they make very good sweaters. I've mentioned this to other highly informed people on this board, however, such as shoreman, and they've had much different experiences (theirs are positive). So who knows.

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Evolve already, please? :facepalm:

Here's mine from Black Sheep Ltd. :

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads