• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Cup of Drip Coffee - NYC?

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions for a really good cup of (drip) coffee in Midtown? I would say from 6th ave to 1st ave... 37th street to 46th street.

I saw a guy on 42nd street with a La Colombe coffee cup. Makes me wonder if there are better options in midtown than Pret, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks and Le Pain Quotidien. I don't include Joe on my list... too much of a line in the morning.

Thanks

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The Self Edge Passion #1 - Coffee

All of our employees and managers across our three stores have many passions in common. One of those is coffee.
We love the idea behind the process and ritual behind the making and drinking of an espresso or coffee of any kind.
There is a coffee outfit in New York City by the name of The Coffee Foundry which we've been quite impressed by.

Run by two guys from Brooklyn, they roast beans in their back yard then serve their coffee in multiple variations from espresso to single cup pour-overs in their West Village cafe. We don't just love them because they wear our jeans, they make some of the most soulful coffee you've ever tasted.
From single plantation beans to timing your every espresso pull, this is what coffee is and these guys Do It Street.

The Coffee Foundry - NYC

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Sounds good, but isn't exactly in the area OP was looking for...

*edit* I always find Financier Patisserie to be solid, though nothing outstanding. It looks like there's one on 42nd around Grand Central.

Aroma Espresso Bar on 42nd btwn 3rd and 2nd Aves seems to have garnered a good bit of love; might be worth checking out.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kiya - what do you think of that place on 1st and 1st (called Bluebird, I think) ? Stumbled upon it one day because we take the kids to the playground right across - and honestly it's my favorite place in NYC to grab an espresso - and they also make a great drip coffee. They're unbelievably slow though.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
kiya - what do you think of that place on 1st and 1st (called Bluebird, I think) ? Stumbled upon it one day because we take the kids to the playground right across - and honestly it's my favorite place in NYC to grab an espresso - and they also make a great drip coffee. They're unbelievably slow though.

It's ok, not amazing. I had it once on my last trip out, everything they served was served too hot, they were scorching the beans.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok then

jcru

Reaction score
ZIBETTO @ 6th & 56th makes a tasty cup that could be worth the walk/hike.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My kept boy, a Brazilian eunuch named Boleo, makes a simply divine cup of coffee for me every morning before I take my daily constitutional. If the coffee is even slightly burned, I give young Boleo a few firm lashes about the thighs and penis and scold him for his incompetence. But usually he is pretty good.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just realized that Joe has one of those express drip coffee stands in the morning. Makes it easy.

As far as coffee places around town. Lately I have been going to Third Rail down near NYU. It is next door to the Peanut Butter place. Thompson street and West 3rd? Something like that. They have the Stumptown (Hair Bender) espresso. Good stuff.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Third Rail. They serve Intelligentsia and Stumptown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads