• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best common, highly available dress sock - I'm throwing my socks away!

JCT22

Reaction score
I'm throwing all of my socks out! In a house with teenage boys I'm tired of hunting for a sock match so I'm going to buy 20-30 pairs of identical black dress socks and throwing everything else away.

Tried these gold toe windsor wool socks but they aren't nearly as good as the old gold toe socks I have and don't stay up. My old ones do and they aren't even over the calf. I also tried some gold toe over the calf wool but they're extremely thin and uncomfortable in some shoes.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=fashion&field-keywords=Gold+Toe+Men's+3-Pack+Windsor+Wool+Dress+Sock

I'd like to keep the price under $10US/pr if possible.

Most importantly, I'd like to find some that have been made and will continue to be made many years from now, so I can periodically replenish any missing ones with the same type. (Yes, I realize there is risk of fading so they won't be identical)

Here are some I've seen referenced in other threads

Pansocks http://www.pansocks.com/product/13/mens-100-fil-decosse-smooth-mid-calf-socks

What the heck happened to sock quality? They used to last forever - common brands like hanes or gold toe etc would stay nice for a very long time. Same with tshirts. I have a "BVD" 100% cotton pocket T from the 80's that you'd think was a recent purchase. It has held up that well.

Last edited:

michaelvl

Reaction score
I have been strictly wearing Falke Tiago socks in black for about five years now. I haven’t noticed any change to the model since I first started to own them. They are thin dress socks in cotton, but are reinforced in areas that are prone to wear. I have never had a pair that started to sag during their period of use. I am happy with the quality and longevity of them. After a while they eventually get holes in them (toes or heel area), but this can be reduced if one doesn’t walk around the house while wearing socks, but either takes them off or wears slippers. Out of 12 pairs I have in rotation, I usually have to throw away two or three pairs a year because of holes. They cost about 13 euro a pair in Europe.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 48 16.2%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 103 34.7%
  • 8”

Votes: 89 30.0%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 33 11.1%
  • 9”

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.4%