Best Colognes

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by muchisgiven, Aug 21, 2006.

1. muchisgiven

muchisgiven Senior member

I wanted to know what you guys are wearing, and what do you recommend. Right now I have Issey Miyake, Marc Jacobs, and Vera Wang Men, but I'm looking for some new fragrances right now.

So any help would be great

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I like Casran, by Choppard. You may also want to look up www.basenotes.com Regards, Huntsman

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

4. muelleran

muelleran Senior member

I like Casran, by Choppard. You may also want to look up www.basenotes.com

Regards,
    Huntsman

I find it very entertaining to browse through the list of "Fragrance Houses":
    Bally, Cigar Afficionado, Baywatch, Jaguar, Salvador Dali, Swiss Army, Ferrari, Lamborghini..

Missing are Volkswagen, Credit Suisse, LÃ[​IMG]gion Etrangère, Ukraine International Airlines, UC Berkeley, BearingPoint, Sony.....

[​IMG]

5. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I wanted to know what you guys are wearing, and what do you recommend. Right now I have Issey Miyake, Marc Jacobs, and Vera Wang Men, but I'm looking for some new fragrances right now.

So any help would be great

I'm discovering how huge this world can get!
    Take the cue from the others: Basenotes!

6. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

I have both Issey Miyake and Marc Jacobs, they are great fragrances. It seems as though you may be into lighter/"fresh"/aquatic fragrances. A few others I can recommend along those lines are:

Penhaligon's - Endymion
    Truefitt & Hill - 1805
    Versace - Metal
    Ralph Lauren - Purple Label
    Salvatore Ferragamo (the blue bottle)
    Creed - Millesime Imperiale

T&H and Penhaligon's can be contacted directly to get free samples (email addresses on their websites), which I suggest you do instead of buying on the net and being dissapointed. Creed, however, will not send free samples. They can be ordered through:

http://www.lessenteurs.com

7. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

My favorite scent, for fall / winter, is Yves Saint Laurent, NU. Eau de Parfum, strength. Many people find this fragrance impossible to wear, but to my nose, it purrrrrs.

Another one that I really, really love is Zanzibar, from Van Cleef and Arpel. I think it may be 'on the way out,' so far as availability. Not sure, on that. Memoire D'Homme, from Nina Ricci, is a magnificent fragrance for cool or cold weather. Tasteful, refined, and very chic.

8. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I use aftershave. Occitane puts out a nice one.

9. alflauren

alflauren Senior member

Chanel Allure Homme - Great for daily wear, all around usage.
    Bulgari Black - Very mysterious, long lasting. A great fragrance for a classy event.

oh, one more: Geir. (from Geir Ness of Norway). This is a really amazing scent. Some people like it's crispness/freshness for the summer - I think it's best in a cold winter.

10. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

I have quite a few. I really like Paul Sebastian. RLPL. St John's. Chanel pour homme.

11. Kai

Kai Senior member

I second Endymion by Penhaligons

Also, anything by Lorenzo Viloresi (especially Piper Nigrum and Yerbamate)

12. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I second Endymion by Penhaligons

Also, anything by Lorenzo Viloresi (especially Piper Nigrum and Yerbamate)

I really like LV Vetiver, it's my go-to going out cologne right now, but Piper is a close second.

13. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

For Piper lovers . . . I hesitate even to write this, but to my nose, NU smells similar, except more refined. Although NU was created for women, it does NOT smell feminine. As a matter of fact, at Bergdorf's, I was told flat out, that NU was considered there, to be a man's fragrance. And, no, I didn't buy any from this lovely gal. Another one I love for winter dress up occasions, is JULES, by Dior.

14. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

Although NU was created for women, it does NOT smell feminine. As a matter of fact, at Bergdorf's, I was told flat out, that NU was considered there, to be a man's fragrance.

I've been told that when it first hit the shelves, it was cross-marketted, which is to say they carried it at both the Women's as well as the Men's Fragrance counters. Same thing was done with the recent Kingdom by McQueen. Over at Basenotes we have a saying: "boys wear men's fragrances, girls wear women's fragrances and adults wear whatever the hell they want."

And to the original poster, I recommend looking into YSL's Live Jazz and Bvlgari Aqva. Creed's MI is also an EXCELLENT recommendation, based upon your tastes, and its worth noting that the new(ish) Sean John Unforgiveable is an almost exact clone thereof, for less money.

15. Swann

Swann Senior member