1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best collars for shirts worn casually?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TweedyProf, Jan 27, 2013.

1. furo

furo Senior member

Point or semi-spread collar shirts from RLBL on clearance with Wurkin Stiffs collar stays (poor man's non-branded collar stays accepted as well, as long as you use the neodymium magnets)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Button down collars are your best bet. If you don't wear a tie don't wear a spread collar.

3. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

It's a custom spread : ). Wide, I guess. I don't know the measurements. They are lined (fused).

Yes, they stay up:

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Some have a curve...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... and some are straight (the navy puppytooth for instance). Measurements are the same.

5. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

+ 1 Wurkn Stiffs are a good choice to keep high, stiff unbottoned collars in place. It's always embarrasing if you move around in your jacket then suddenly the shirt collar flops out on top of the coat's lapel, then you look like you're from the 70's.

6. furo

furo Senior member

They literally almost doubled my shirt rotation since prior to learning about neodymium magnets paired with a ferromagnetic stay, I never dared wear a spread collar sans tie.

7. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Fascinating. How do they work?

8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Wel lI have found this to be pretty much hit or miss with the spreads which is why I prefer the BD's. I am sure the shaping of the collar will vary between manufacturers

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  9. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, so maybe these magic magnet stays will work. I'm still inclined for a soft collar, so that might make them staying up all the more challenging if not BD. Thanks for the continued input.

10. Flake

Flake Senior member

I use a wide spread and have them made reinforced, so they are nice and stiff. I have also on occasion used the magnetic collar stays on my more traditional collars that I usually reserve for wearing with a tie, and find they work pretty well. The look is similar to a hidden button down.

11. furo

furo Senior member

It's a neodymium magnet placed on the inside of the shirt collar, held in place by a ferromagnetic collar stay. Simple yet extremely effective. You can save cash if you just pick up some collar stays and magnets off the Internet.. Or you can buy the name branded set.

12. Stylishmartita

Stylishmartita Well-Known Member

Hi! As an Italian bespoke shirts company we generally recommend to go with a button down collar (to be worn without a tie), but I must say it depends on what is your style, what are your tastes etc. Here you can find a picture of a linen button down collar shirt:

http://www.neronote.com/nn/en/p/white-linen-shirt.3sp

Our customers really appreciate linen spread collar shirts, please have a look at this one:

http://www.neronote.com/nn/en/p/light_blue_linen_shirt_white_contrast.3sp

We've also manufactured cutaway collars for customers who preferred a very spread collar (it's not shown on our website but we can make it:)

13. GuP

GuP Senior member

Nice collars. My next shirt I will try to get similar ones from proper cloth.

Which one of these collars from the bottom link is most similar to yours? I think it is between the Mini Club and Mini Point, but I am not sure...

http://propercloth.com/collar-styles

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  14. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Both are – what's in a name? – much too small. The Mini Club has rounded edges, mine have rounded 'sides'. Mine are just widespreads (or cutaways, depending on the definition) with curved sides in stead of straight sides. The Londoner, the President Spread or the Richard Cutaway are probably most similar, but those are not curved.

Last edited: May 10, 2013