• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

best collar for wearing without a tie under a jacket?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
They are fantabulous (trying to speak your language).

peeman.gif

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Little late to the party but I've found that if you have your shirtguy raise the first button below the collarband (to .5 - .75 below the collar band) that the collar stands up nicely and looks fine underneath a sportscoat, etc.

It looks like you have your tie loosened a little - minus the tie.

If you do go that route, make sure your collar points are long enough. I've found that this approach can lead to flying collar syndrome pretty quickly.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
the riva ones feel dry but some have a good bit of sheen to them. Maybe I don't know the right word for it, but they don't look anything like the DJA or LP l/c blends.

Nobody has Riva over here.
frown.gif
A friend of mine has been taking Bonfanti around to some of the NY guys, so maybe that will change.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
frown.gif
A friend of mine has been taking Bonfanti around to some of the NY guys, so maybe that will change.

not even Kabbaz? here are some pics of various Riva linen cottons. Actually, they are all Riva, but mainly linen/cotton. The two blue with yellow stripes are the silkier finish. The two furthest two the right are very interesting in that they are a linen cotton blend that has a brushed texture more suitable for winter. Perhaps not all your style, but all interesting fabrics. They are mainly casuals:
rivalargeat2.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

jcriswel

Reaction score
Pattern matching?
devil.gif

Not trying to hijack the thread, but how is your epistle on pattern matching shirts with everything else coming along?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcriswel
Not trying to hijack the thread, but how is your epistle on pattern matching shirts with everything else coming along?

Well, to be clear, my little treatise is on combining patterns. You know, OBTC. By "pattern matching" in the above post, I was referring to the fact that Matt's lovely shirts, made by one of the world's premier shirtmakers, do not match stripes at the sleeve-yoke seam.

jcriswel

Reaction score
Well, to be clear, my little treatise is on combining patterns. You know, OBTC. By "pattern matching" in the above post, I was referring to the fact that Matt's lovely shirts, made by one of the world's premier shirtmakers, do not match stripes at the sleeve-yoke seam.

You are so correct to point this out. How is your treatise on combining patterns coming along?
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcriswel
You are so correct to point this out. How is your treatise on combining patterns coming along?
smile.gif

It's in limbo. conservative business dress Forever!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

jcriswel

Reaction score
It's in limbo. conservative business dress Forever!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I hope you don't think your tounge in cheek OBTC treatise gets you off the hook. Your fans are going to be disappointed not to see your Apparel Arts charts with examples of successes and failures.

You have gone conservative business dress crazy. I suppose you're going to say that the extremism in the defense of conservative business dress is no vice.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
frown.gif

I mentionned Riva to my guy and I believe he's going to look in to it. It would be awesome if we got something here in montreal that NY doesn't have, although I could have sworn that Kabbaz said he had it at some point... No linen or cotton-linen blends for me though (except basics), he just doesn't have any demand for it.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads