1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Best Coffee Beans available in NYC?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by JSC437, Jan 18, 2009.

1. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I order a lot of Blue Bottle coffee since it's a Bay Area business - plus its wonderful coffee.

One that has not been mentioned, and I still consider it the best coffee beans I've ever had, is House of Coffee Beans in Houston. It baffles me that this place does not get the love and recognition in the national press. They have prices that are pretty much unbeatable, especially the rarer coffees that appeals to the "geeks".

http://www.houseofcoffeebeans.com/

2. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I'd recommend Counter Culture Coffee (www.counterculturecoffee.com). They're one of the best roasters in the nation and located in North Carolina which cuts down on transit time. Intelligentsia is also excellent, but seeing as they're in Chicago, those beans are spending an extra day in the mail and losing their freshness. Although I retain a fondness by Porto Rico, CCC blows em out of the water.

I just ordered their three-style Italian taster. We'll see. I ordered black cat a while back to see what the hype was about. Was good, but the price was hard to justify. I'd love to find someone local to use, where I could know the roasting dates, etc. I'm sure they're out there.

3. Fatto_in_Italia

Fatto_in_Italia Well-Known Member

Last summer I was in Naples, Italy and all Italians I spoke there seem to agree that the best coffee availabe is Kimbo coffee. I believe it's espresso only, so I'm not sure if it's useful to you, but thought i'd share it anyway..

It can be ordered thru: http://www.1-800-espresso.com/coffee-kimbo-coffee.html

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

jack's stir brew is really really good, but i hear it's not about the beans but how they brew it.

5. modsquad

modsquad Senior member

Don't forget Orens Daily Roast and Ninth Street Espresso. Both have outlets here and there in Manhattan and are great drop-ins if you are just bopping around. And they both sell very good roasts.

6. romafan

romafan Senior member

Pretty sure 9th St. is 100% Stumptown. I know they opened a 'outlet' on 10th St, but didn't realize they had expanded to VA....

7. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

Don't forget Orens Daily Roast and Ninth Street Espresso. Both have outlets here and there in Manhattan and are great drop-ins if you are just bopping around. And they both sell very good roasts.

I usually go to Orens on my way to school (Waverly location) and get a cup of coffee there. I dont know what blend they use for the drip coffee, but i dont find it to be overly impressive. It is far better than Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks... but still not amazing. I consider it to be an alternative to Mud truck and that kind of thing. But like i said, Oren's probably does not use the premier beans or blends in the drip coffee that they sell.

8. the shah

the shah Senior member

simon sips, 9th street, and abracio
    in that order

9. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

orens is garbage

Pretty sure 9th St. is 100% Stumptown. I know they opened a 'outlet' on 10th St, but didn't realize they had expanded to VA....

9th street is intelligentsia. they stopped doing stumptown around a month ago.

I usually go to Orens on my way to school (Waverly location) and get a cup of coffee there. I dont know what blend they use for the drip coffee, but i dont find it to be overly impressive. It is far better than Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks... but still not amazing. I consider it to be an alternative to Mud truck and that kind of thing. But like i said, Oren's probably does not use the premier beans or blends in the drip coffee that they sell.

agreed that orens is way over hyped. there is nothing special about it.

and i dont get the fascination with stupid "gourmet" trucks. mud truck coffee tastes pretty much like mud.

in that order

this man got it right. in that order.

simon sips is on first and houston - they use counter culture and they have the best cuppicino im my opinion

9th street is intelligentsia and is really good as well but i find the above slightly better

abracio uses counter culture im pretty sure and they are really good as well but i find the above to slightly better

as for readily available coffee beans...the above get shipments in pretty regularly from well known roasters but stumptown just opened up a roasting facility in redhook, brooklyn.

10. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

orens is garbage

agreed that orens is way over hyped. there is nothing special about it.

and i dont get the fascination with stupid "gourmet" trucks. mud truck coffee tastes pretty much like mud.

in that order

this man got it right. in that order.

simon sips is on first and houston - they use counter culture and they have the best cuppicino im my opinion

9th street is intelligentsia and is really good as well but i find the above slightly better

abracio uses counter culture im pretty sure and they are really good as well but i find the above to slightly better

as for readily available coffee beans...the above get shipments in pretty regularly from well known roasters but stumptown just opened up a roasting facility in redhook, brooklyn.

11. romafan

romafan Senior member

and i posted 3 months ago. thnx for the update.