1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best Coffee Beans available in NYC?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by JSC437, Jan 18, 2009.

1. JSC437

JSC437 Distinguished Member

what's the general feeling here about dean and deluca? ive tried a few of their beans and been very satisfied, but i dont have the most refined taste when it comes to coffee. my comparison was more against just starbucks and few local beaneries.

I used to get iced coffee from the Soho location during the summer. That was pretty tasty. But maybe i enjoyed it more because of all the hot women walking around Broadway in the summer. Cannot wait for the warm weather.

Recently I had a cup of drip coffee at the new location across the street from Port Authority. I must admit that i threw the coffee in the trash. It did not taste good at all... or at least it did not have some high quality flavor like i would expect from D&D.

Of course I am talking about coffee that is already brewed... not the beans.

I am not going to D&D anymore... i am going to check out all the suggestions in this thread. this rules. lol

2. js4design

js4design Distinguished Member

I used to get iced coffee from the Soho location during the summer. That was pretty tasty. But maybe i enjoyed it more because of all the hot women walking around Broadway in the summer. Cannot wait for the warm weather.

Recently I had a cup of drip coffee at the new location across the street from Port Authority. I must admit that i threw the coffee in the trash. It did not taste good at all... or at least it did not have some high quality flavor like i would expect from D&D.

Of course I am talking about coffee that is already brewed... not the beans.

I am not going to D&D anymore... i am going to check out all the suggestions in this thread. this rules. lol

thanks, and i should tell you, my initials are JCS4 (or IV) so when i saw your name i did a bit of a double take. so close...

3. FiveFiveFive

FiveFiveFive Senior Member

If you're ever in the Upper East Side, there's a small hole-in-the-wall cafe on E. 66th and 1st called Cafe Girl. They sell a dozen or so different kinds of coffee beans they store in barrels. Always loved the coffee there.

4. poorsod

poorsod Distinguished Member

I like mine New Orleans style with Chickory. So far I've like the blend from McNulty's in the West Village. I also like Cafe Dumonde but that is for a drip.

5. romafan

romafan Distinguished Member

If you live around NYU, go to one of the Puerto Rico Coffee Co stores

We drink PR Cafe Blend as our 'house' coffee. For $6(7?) bucks a pound I don't think you can beat it. PR's sale coffee's are a ridiculous $5/lb, and they carry some higher $$ as well.

Stumptown ....Portland!

9th St. Espressso sells Stumptown. Good but $$$

La Colombe is really wonderful coffee. We served this exclusively at my Cafe.

I have never done so, but I believe you can order online. http://www.lacolombe.com/business.html.Starbucks is terrible when compared to this goodness.

la Colombe has a store down in Tribecca. Very good - again, you'll pay $13-14/lb

I'd recommend Counter Culture Coffee (www.counterculturecoffee.com). They're one of the best roasters in the nation and located in North Carolina which cuts down on transit time. .....Although I retain a fondness by Porto Rico, CCC blows em out of the water.

Everyman on 13th St. (part of CSC) sells CCC. Very nice - $14/lb (plus Katie Holmes lives next door!)

6. CityGent

CityGent Well-Known Member

Joe the Art of Coffee has great beans, frequently voted among the best in NYC. There's a couple locations now, one near Union Square (on 9th between 5th and University if memory serves). Recommended. The eager-to-please, hippie female baristas are an added bonus.

7. JSC437

Joe the Art of Coffee has great beans, frequently voted among the best in NYC. There's a couple locations now, one near Union Square (on 9th between 5th and University if memory serves). Recommended. The eager-to-please, hippie female baristas are an added bonus.

I just went to a Joe yesterday. The one located in the Graybar pass at Grand Central. I noticed they sold coffee beans but i had no idea what one to buy. They had a Vienna Roast and a Kenya AA.... but i was clueless so didnt get anything.

I will have to try the coffee.

And I need to go to Porto Rico also. I cannot believe how many people say positive things about the place.

Actually, I am going to try all the NYC locations mentioned in this thread. So happy that there are alternatives to Starbucks. I get so sick of that coffee. It all tastes so burnt to me.

Thanks very much everyone!!! I really appreciate all the great advice.

8. romafan

romafan Distinguished Member

If you're ever in the Upper East Side, there's a small hole-in-the-wall cafe on E. 66th and 1st called Cafe Girl. They sell a dozen or so different kinds of coffee beans they store in barrels. Always loved the coffee there.

Btwn 1st and York on the southside of the street? I used to stop there everyday on my way to treatment b4 I lost my taste. Good coffee.

The USQ Joe is on 13th (btwn University & 5th). They use beans from a RI roaster (Barrington, I think) which are good, but we've gotten some 'old' bags. Again, you're paying $15/lb.

9. lynchpatrickj

lynchpatrickj Senior Member

Starbucks is fairly grotesque. I'd rather chill at the house with some Cafe Bustelo than go to one of their 4 billion locations and sip their overpriced, body-less espresso.

10. JSC437

Starbucks is fairly grotesque. I'd rather chill at the house with some Cafe Bustelo than go to one of their 4 billion locations and sip their overpriced, body-less espresso.

Bustelo is very good for the price. I would think that a "brick" of Bustelo costs no more than $3 or so.

11. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

Completely forgot about Porto Rico. I'll have to start going there, even though it's a little out of my way. I've been getting coffee from Fairway, which is cheaper than some other places but I don't love it.

12. Chip

Chip Senior Member

Ptscoffee.com

13. ndw

ndw Senior Member

La Colombe

Intelligentsia (The Black Cat Espresso is ridiculous)

Illy

and

Blue Bottle

I have tried so many different beans and ALWAYS come back to these four brands

14. fredfred

fredfred Distinguished Member

porto rico is the place. many, many different choices. 2 locations in the village (east, west) and apparently one in williamsburg

15. JesseJB

JesseJB Distinguished Member

Make a friend in Seattle who likes to ship shit.

-Vivace
    -Victrola
    -Vita

If it starts with a "V", its probably good.