Best Coffee Beans available in NYC?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by JSC437, Jan 18, 2009.

1. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

what's the general feeling here about dean and deluca? ive tried a few of their beans and been very satisfied, but i dont have the most refined taste when it comes to coffee. my comparison was more against just starbucks and few local beaneries.

I used to get iced coffee from the Soho location during the summer. That was pretty tasty. But maybe i enjoyed it more because of all the hot women walking around Broadway in the summer. Cannot wait for the warm weather.

Recently I had a cup of drip coffee at the new location across the street from Port Authority. I must admit that i threw the coffee in the trash. It did not taste good at all... or at least it did not have some high quality flavor like i would expect from D&D.

Of course I am talking about coffee that is already brewed... not the beans.

I am not going to D&D anymore... i am going to check out all the suggestions in this thread. this rules. lol

2. js4design

js4design Senior member

I used to get iced coffee from the Soho location during the summer. That was pretty tasty. But maybe i enjoyed it more because of all the hot women walking around Broadway in the summer. Cannot wait for the warm weather.

Recently I had a cup of drip coffee at the new location across the street from Port Authority. I must admit that i threw the coffee in the trash. It did not taste good at all... or at least it did not have some high quality flavor like i would expect from D&D.

Of course I am talking about coffee that is already brewed... not the beans.

I am not going to D&D anymore... i am going to check out all the suggestions in this thread. this rules. lol

thanks, and i should tell you, my initials are JCS4 (or IV) so when i saw your name i did a bit of a double take. so close...

3. FiveFiveFive

FiveFiveFive Senior member

If you're ever in the Upper East Side, there's a small hole-in-the-wall cafe on E. 66th and 1st called Cafe Girl. They sell a dozen or so different kinds of coffee beans they store in barrels. Always loved the coffee there.

4. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I like mine New Orleans style with Chickory. So far I've like the blend from McNulty's in the West Village. I also like Cafe Dumonde but that is for a drip.

5. romafan

romafan Senior member

If you live around NYU, go to one of the Puerto Rico Coffee Co stores

We drink PR Cafe Blend as our 'house' coffee. For $6(7?) bucks a pound I don't think you can beat it. PR's sale coffee's are a ridiculous $5/lb, and they carry some higher $$ as well.

Stumptown ....Portland!

9th St. Espressso sells Stumptown. Good but $$$

La Colombe is really wonderful coffee. We served this exclusively at my Cafe.

I have never done so, but I believe you can order online. http://www.lacolombe.com/business.html.Starbucks is terrible when compared to this goodness.

la Colombe has a store down in Tribecca. Very good - again, you'll pay $13-14/lb

I'd recommend Counter Culture Coffee (www.counterculturecoffee.com). They're one of the best roasters in the nation and located in North Carolina which cuts down on transit time. .....Although I retain a fondness by Porto Rico, CCC blows em out of the water.

Everyman on 13th St. (part of CSC) sells CCC. Very nice - $14/lb (plus Katie Holmes lives next door!)

6. CityGent

CityGent Well-Known Member

Joe the Art of Coffee has great beans, frequently voted among the best in NYC. There's a couple locations now, one near Union Square (on 9th between 5th and University if memory serves). Recommended. The eager-to-please, hippie female baristas are an added bonus.

7. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

Joe the Art of Coffee has great beans, frequently voted among the best in NYC. There's a couple locations now, one near Union Square (on 9th between 5th and University if memory serves). Recommended. The eager-to-please, hippie female baristas are an added bonus.

I just went to a Joe yesterday. The one located in the Graybar pass at Grand Central. I noticed they sold coffee beans but i had no idea what one to buy. They had a Vienna Roast and a Kenya AA.... but i was clueless so didnt get anything.

I will have to try the coffee.

And I need to go to Porto Rico also. I cannot believe how many people say positive things about the place.

Actually, I am going to try all the NYC locations mentioned in this thread. So happy that there are alternatives to Starbucks. I get so sick of that coffee. It all tastes so burnt to me.

Thanks very much everyone!!! I really appreciate all the great advice.

8. romafan

romafan Senior member

If you're ever in the Upper East Side, there's a small hole-in-the-wall cafe on E. 66th and 1st called Cafe Girl. They sell a dozen or so different kinds of coffee beans they store in barrels. Always loved the coffee there.

Btwn 1st and York on the southside of the street? I used to stop there everyday on my way to treatment b4 I lost my taste. Good coffee.

The USQ Joe is on 13th (btwn University & 5th). They use beans from a RI roaster (Barrington, I think) which are good, but we've gotten some 'old' bags. Again, you're paying $15/lb.

9. lynchpatrickj

lynchpatrickj Senior member

Starbucks is fairly grotesque. I'd rather chill at the house with some Cafe Bustelo than go to one of their 4 billion locations and sip their overpriced, body-less espresso.

10. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

Starbucks is fairly grotesque. I'd rather chill at the house with some Cafe Bustelo than go to one of their 4 billion locations and sip their overpriced, body-less espresso.

Bustelo is very good for the price. I would think that a "brick" of Bustelo costs no more than $3 or so.

11. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Completely forgot about Porto Rico. I'll have to start going there, even though it's a little out of my way. I've been getting coffee from Fairway, which is cheaper than some other places but I don't love it.

12. Chip

Chip Senior member

Ptscoffee.com

13. ndw

ndw Senior member

La Colombe

Intelligentsia (The Black Cat Espresso is ridiculous)

Illy

and

Blue Bottle

I have tried so many different beans and ALWAYS come back to these four brands

14. fredfred

fredfred Senior member

porto rico is the place. many, many different choices. 2 locations in the village (east, west) and apparently one in williamsburg

15. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

Make a friend in Seattle who likes to ship shit.

-Vivace
    -Victrola
    -Vita

If it starts with a "V", its probably good.