• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best cocktail or bartending books?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A lot of them are rather unfortunate; a lot of the older Japanese cocktails from before the bubble era taste like punch or something. The Million Dollar, as invented by the bartender at the Grand Hotel in Yokohama, would be one. The Pure Love, another. I can't remember off the top of my head, or even what goes into those things. For novelty, they are fun to try once.
The standby western cocktails though, the Japanese are definitely adept at.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Huntsman: ever been to Tokyo, or even Angel's Share in Manhattan? The Japanese truly obey traditional cocktail culture.

I have a Japanese bar I go to locally here in Korea as a local outpost of some Ginza place, they have a jawdropping single malt selection, as well as an internationally competitive bartender. They have a pretty extensive cocktail menu, to include a lot of the Japanese cocktail inventions of the 1960s-1980's and they even list the origin and inventor of the drinks, and to which contests the drinks have been taken. Still, and it's pretty a good little bar with $20-$50+ drinks, it pales in comparison to a real Japanese cocktail bar IN Japan, they're on a level that is rarely if ever seen in America anymore. Hand carved iceballs for scotch, exacting precision and mixing techniques, really thoughtful stuff. Even the bar snacks in Japan are taken very, very seriously. I read some article about a bartender who made his own Jamon in Akita-ken because he felt real Jamon was too salty to pair with single malt scotch.

Yeah, see while this is kind of cool in a quaint way, I think it takes drinking alcohol way too far. But that's just me.

rk9

Reaction score
If you like Tiki drinks then check out http://www.painkillernyc.com/

It's the website of a Tiki cocktail bar in NYC that is worth a visit. Interestingly they put all of their recipes online in case you want to attempt the same. I have tried and it's worked out well. Even made some homemade orgeat for Mai Tais.

bullrams

Reaction score
Don't know what books did the guys there read, but Devil's Acre's 'Call a Treuse' in San Francisco has inspired me to peruse cocktails.

There is so much information to process in these threads - great recs all around!

Thanks for sharing!

Cark

Reaction score
Huntsman: ever been to Tokyo, or even Angel's Share in Manhattan? The Japanese truly obey traditional cocktail culture.

I have a Japanese bar I go to locally here in Korea as a local outpost of some Ginza place, they have a jawdropping single malt selection, as well as an internationally competitive bartender. They have a pretty extensive cocktail menu, to include a lot of the Japanese cocktail inventions of the 1960s-1980's and they even list the origin and inventor of the drinks, and to which contests the drinks have been taken. Still, and it's pretty a good little bar with $20-$50+ drinks, it pales in comparison to a real Japanese cocktail bar IN Japan, they're on a level that is rarely if ever seen in America anymore. Hand carved iceballs for scotch, exacting precision and mixing techniques, really thoughtful stuff. Even the bar snacks in Japan are taken very, very seriously. I read some article about a bartender who made his own Jamon in Akita-ken because he felt real Jamon was too salty to pair with single malt scotch.

Yeah, see while this is kind of cool in a quaint way, I think it takes drinking alcohol way too far. But that's just me.

i just drink my liquor neat, that is the best way to drink it, all these fancy yancy boy techniques for fetishing alcoholic drinks are for snowflakes.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You
i just drink my liquor neat, that is the best way to drink it, all these fancy yancy boy techniques for fetishing alcoholic drinks are for snowflakes.

You’re an idiot.

Cark

Reaction score
You

You’re an idiot.

I am going to have to disagree with you. My way to drink is best, better than any cocktail, liquor is best drunk neat. Unless it is low quality, then sure, go add some sugar water to it to make it drinkable. You might as well have a $1 can of pop instead.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am going to have to disagree with you. My way to drink is best, better than any cocktail, liquor is best drunk neat. Unless it is low quality, then sure, go add some sugar water to it to make it drinkable. You might as well have a $1 can of pop instead.

AD2D5E66-C68C-48A1-9E3F-BD3036F4C250.gif

Cark

Reaction score

due to the diabetes epidemic in the states it is not surprising you would prefer a juice (with a splash of liquor) instead of a real drink. go enjoy your alcoholic fruit juice you fancy boy, it will tickle your dainty tastebuds lol.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
...edit...

Not sure why I’m feeding an obvious troll

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some new recommendations. The problem with a lot of well-regarded cocktail books is that they're not written with the home bartender in mind: The recipes call for exotic bottles and homemade infusions that I don't have the money to buy, space to store, and time to make. So I'd like books with recipes containing fewer, more basic ingredients. Based on my research, Regarding Cocktails by Sasha Petraske and 3-Ingredient Cocktails by Robert Simonson seem to be up my alley. Any experience with these books or other books I should look into?

dylanturner

Reaction score
You don't need to go to a fancy cocktail bar to have a great drink. These books will show you how to whip up some of the the tastiest and prettiest cocktails you've ever seen, perfect for impressing your friends at your next holiday party.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some new recommendations. The problem with a lot of well-regarded cocktail books is that they're not written with the home bartender in mind: The recipes call for exotic bottles and homemade infusions that I don't have the money to buy, space to store, and time to make. So I'd like books with recipes containing fewer, more basic ingredients. Based on my research, Regarding Cocktails by Sasha Petraske and 3-Ingredient Cocktails by Robert Simonson seem to be up my alley. Any experience with these books or other books I should look into?

3 ingredient cocktails is great. I have a ton of cocktail books but I find myself reaching for this very frequently .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads