• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Cobbler in NY?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your vote for the best cobbler in NY?

I can unequivocally say that I take the best cobbler to be Minas Shoe Repair at 76 Wallstreet at the intersection with Hanover.

My family has been regularly going to them for 20 years for work on shoes, bags, belts, etc. I have never once received anything but exceptional results at fair prices with amazing turn arounds. In the last two months since I've been back in NY for the holidays, I've had the following repairs made:

Alden half-brogues resoled with JR soles and toe tapped with lulu steel taps -

Before: IMG_20201116_0911032.jpg

After: IMG_20201205_1459537.jpg
IMG_20201205_1459581.jpg

CNES custom made spectators toe tapped with triumph brass taps:

IMG_20201202_1740415.jpg

Allen Edmonds green shell cordoan strands toe tapped with triumph brass taps:

IMG_20201209_1741390.jpg

Edward Green Chelseas in antique oak stretched and toe tapped with triumph brass taps:

IMG_20210117_1502300.jpg

I think they did an absolute stupendous job on each and I received everything back within 48 hours, including the resole. I would highly recommend giving them a call at (212) 938-0199 or visiting them in person if you need any work done.

I sincerely don't think there is a better cobbling service in NY.

Anyone want to share their faves? I know B. Nelson has a nice relationship with Alden.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you find the brass toe plates? I find they make me slip...wonder how your experience is?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you find the brass toe plates? I find they make me slip...wonder how your experience is?

No slipping whatsoever. In fact, it's saved my shoe from minor damage whenever I've tripped over my feet.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
They're pretty damn amazing. Very cool you lived so close, too.

they look like they moved across thestreet? They used to be in the building I lived in. I remember sitting there in my leather golf shoes getting them polished up before hitting the Staten Island ferry for a round at silver lake. They were in that 63/67 building on the corner of Pearl. Used to be a bmw dealership next to them.

I definitely didn’t take advantage of them as much as I should have. I just didn’t know as much about shoes back then. My use was more limited to putting soles on shoes that probably weren’t the highest quality, or having them out rubber toppies on loafers forheavy city use. This was when I was in my 20’s (15+ years ago)

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they look like they moved across thestreet? They used to be in the building I lived in. I remember sitting there in my leather golf shoes getting them polished up before hitting the Staten Island ferry for a round at silver lake. They were in that 63/67 building on the corner of Pearl. Used to be a bmw dealership next to them.

I definitely didn’t take advantage of them as much as I should have. I just didn’t know as much about shoes back then. My use was more limited to putting soles on shoes that probably weren’t the highest quality, or having them out rubber toppies on loafers forheavy city use. This was when I was in my 20’s (15+ years ago)

Yeah, they closed one store down due to corona and the father passing away.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one has a rival cobbler to make mention of?

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Another Wall Street/Financial District cobbler:

Stanley's Cobbler Shop at 115 Broadway on the Thames Street side of the building between Broadway and Trinity Place. It is run by Charlie. I have brought my own shoes and my wife's shoes to him as well as attache cases and handbags.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stanley's Cobbler Shop at 115 Broadway on the Thames Street side of the building between Broadway and Trinity Place. It is run by Charlie. I have brought my own shoes and my wife's shoes to him as well as attache cases and handbags.

Nice. Got any pics of their work?

TheChihuahua

Reaction score

been there as well. I lived in the same building as Midas so that was my regular.

I bought my first pair of Alden’s right around the corner from Stanley’s

katch

Reaction score
Loved going to Minas. I used to go there and Minas would talk shoes and offer me home made grappa and olives.

@TheChihuahua did you get your Aldens at Stapletons?

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used B Nelson once. Work was fine.

longer thread with other feedback/pics over the years:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads