• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Cobbler in NY?

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have used both Minas and Nelson (vip shoe restorers they’re called). Both are great

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Loved going to Minas. I used to go there and Minas would talk shoes and offer me home made grappa and olives.

@TheChihuahua did you get your Aldens at Stapletons?

I got my Alden’s at some shop off Wall Street/Broadway by the World Trade Center site around a dozen years ago

corpseposeur

Reaction score
I have some Carlos Santos boots that need some new soles. I'll check out Minas for sure.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
premium cobbler was recommended to me by someone here and they did a great job on a pair of alden roy boots for me.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sad news: Minas shoe repair is shutting down. As a result, I am in need of a new cobbler. Any recommendations from recent work?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sad news: Minas shoe repair is shutting down. As a result, I am in need of a new cobbler. Any recommendations from recent work?
When is their last day of operation? Also, any recommendations for a cobbler who can bring suede shoes back to life?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When is their last day of operation? Also, any recommendations for a cobbler who can bring suede shoes back to life?

From what I understand, the owner has actually already closed down. I am not 100% sure, but I was going to go see family over Christmas and my mother told me she had called Minas as I had some shoes to bring with me for repairs and that is what she was told by the owner. I've tried to reach out to her and she hasn't gotten back yet.

As for suede, not sure. I am hoping to get a recommendation from Minas. I'll pass that it along.

As it stands, I haven't had any real good experience with the cobblers in Brooklyn that I know.

Out of curiousity: What kind of work do you need done on suede?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, the owner has actually already closed down. I am not 100% sure, but I was going to go see family over Christmas and my mother told me she had called Minas as I had some shoes to bring with me for repairs and that is what she was told by the owner. I've tried to reach out to her and she hasn't gotten back yet.

As for suede, not sure. I am hoping to get a recommendation from Minas. I'll pass that it along.

As it stands, I haven't had any real good experience with the cobblers in Brooklyn that I know.

Out of curiousity: What kind of work do you need done on suede?
Thanks for the details - sad to hear that.

I have a pair of C&J and Carmina (both chocolate brown) which need a deep cleaning. The C&J could use a resole but I’ll decide on that only if the price is right for me.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the details - sad to hear that.

I have a pair of C&J and Carmina (both chocolate brown) which need a deep cleaning. The C&J could use a resole but I’ll decide on that only if the price is right for me.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

Minas would have been able to do a wonderful job. When I hear from Minas I'll let you know their recommendation.

Incidentally, when Mr. Minas was alive, his favourite brand was C&J.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VIP shoe restorers and vinces village cobbler both did solid work for me (and have also used minas before they closed downtown)

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VIP shoe restorers and vinces village cobbler both did solid work for me (and have also used minas before they closed downtown)

Thanks. I will inquire.

Reaction score
I brought an old pair of Alden loafers to Moulded Shoe at 10 East 39th Street and they did a very nice job repairing the uppers which were fairly worn including some damage and needed some re-stitching. He undersold how much he'd be able to do and over-delivered. (I don't know if they do repairs in-house or send them out.) https://www.mouldedshoeny.com/

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I brought an old pair of Alden loafers to Moulded Shoe at 10 East 39th Street and they did a very nice job repairing the uppers which were fairly worn including some damage and needed some re-stitching. He undersold how much he'd be able to do and over-delivered. (I don't know if they do repairs in-house or send them out.) https://www.mouldedshoeny.com/

Don't they also sell Aldens there?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads