Best clothing stores in Paris?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fez, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Fez

Fez Active Member

I've lived in this beautiful city for a few months now and am still searching for stores that suit both my style (young preppy) and my budget (post-grad student).

I've visited most of the stores on rue st. honorÃ[​IMG] and bought a few things during the sale season but the prices seem to be insane when the soldes are over. I've also taken a look at Charvet and their clothing is beautiful, but (alas) their prices seem to be a bit of my budget at the moment.

Where do you shop in Paris?

2. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

My favorite shop is Arthur & Fox. There are a couple of locations, one in the 5th Arr. (not far from the Hotel Montalembert), but it may be more dandy than preppy. It has brightly colored and striped shirts, a nice selection of ties, and very well done suits and outer wear. And it's not terribly pricey.

3. Fez

Fez Active Member

Cool, i'll be sure to check out Arthur & Fox. I've been a little bit lost in this city, in part, because i'm still trying to figure out my own "personal style". I'm still fairly young (in my mid-twenties) and I'm trying to strike a balance between older conservative styles and younger trendier streetwear.

4. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

I am in my mid-30s and still trying to strike that balance!

Of course, Colette is the place to shop for the hippest fashions. It also has an excellent restaurant in the basement with the largest selection of bottled waters from which to choose.

Madelios, near the Place Madeleine, is a men's department store featuring a wide array of brands such as Paul Smith, Boss, Agnes B. and the like.

Of course, don't miss the Agnes B. Homme shop -- I forget the location, but on my last trip there picked up a few shopping bags of clothes.

Alain Figaret is the French version of Thomas Pink. The shirts are o.k. I like their ties better.

5. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I used to like Colette, although I was never cool enough to feel at home there. They are one of the two places in Paris that carry RJ, although it's never on display. Still, I bought some wonderful cotton lisle RJ long-sleeve tees there. Colette now appears to be turning into one of the circles of hell, like Harrods -- always full to bursting with the pretentious in the way that Horrids is with tourists. The water bar was nice, although now there appears to be some Italian-influenced eatery downstairs and I'm not sure they still have the water lineup. When, in 2004, their menu proudly proclaimed they were serving Starbucks coffee, I knew they had jumped le requin.

However, none of the shops so far mentioned are preppy. Are you sure you are preppy? The French preppy analog, the BCBG, would be more likely to wear British-influenced Barbours with shetland crews and tattersall shirts with cords. Old England could do you well, although it's very expensive too.

Frankly, Paris is not a good place for cheap clothes, unless you go to the rather scary cheap shops in the north of Paris or to the flea markets, in which case quality will be astoundingly bad. Used clothing is not widely available or of interesting quality, and outlets are sparse although there are some areas -- pick up Paris Pas Cher, if you haven't already -- that have off-price retailers. I'm thinking the area around the Saint-Placide metro, the rue Vieille du Temple, Mouton a 5 Pattes on Boul St-Germain and one or two places down Boul Raspail. There's also the outlet center out by the airport and ebay, which the French haven't been as quick to turn to for shopping.

I used to like Sisley (owned by Benetton) for disposa-chic when I was a student. Not too preppy, though. Quality is as bad as Benetton but their sweaters were nice.

There was an APC sale shop near St Sulpice; also try H&M; Le Bon Marche is having its final sales right now so I imagine the other big department stores are as well... The stores along Rivoli offer a mix from the trendoid to Hildeetch... the trendier stores often have very good sales.

If you're still figuring out your style, go to the Gap, Celio, Naf Naf or H&M and try stuff that interests you. If you don't like it, you won't have to have spent a whole lot of money on it.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Thierry Mugler Homme has been revamped with Thomas Engelhart although I'm not sure if you like Mugler's signature look.

Balenciaga has a men's shop in Paris.

Colette has nice CDs.

7. montmorency

montmorency Senior member

You might want to try Phist. It's a chain with several stores in Paris, including on the Rue Marbeuf. The clothes are British influenced, although still definitely French/continental. I would consider Phist's clothes to be sort of French preppy. The quality is many notches below the discussions that dominate this board - you are not getting garments with top fabrics and handwork. But, you can look well dressed without spending a fortune there.

8. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

Please make any other additions! I will be visiting Paris in a few weeks and want to take advantage of Fez's topic to get suggestions. So far, I am planning to visit: Arnys Corthay Altan Berluti C&J Paris Albaladejo/Carmina Aubercy Weston Duret (for belts) Collette (for the mockery) Old England Charvet Arthur & Fox Cifonelli Cordonnerie Anglaise Goyard Added by popular demand: Marc Guyot/Cape Cod Lobb Heschung Anywhere else on the must-see list? Don't worry about adding too much - I've got a week [​IMG] Also - I will try to take a camera so that I can do a nice photo-essay for the many Francophiles in the audience here.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

[​IMG]

There is also this vintage watch dealer in Paris at the Place Vendome; it feels like an old bank, the store.

Goyard has a luggage museum. The Dunhill 15 Rue de la Paix is no longer interesting apparently.

10. montmorency

montmorency Senior member

Duveen, that is an impressive list of shoe stores. There is one that is conspicuous by its absence. Are you boycotting Lobb?

There is also Heschung for casual shoes.

11. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

I am ashamed to admit that RJMan and GreyFlannelMan appear to have forgotten more than I will ever know about clothing stores in Paris.

You should give a try to Marc Guyot at Cape Cod, near Madeleine, he always has interesting things and is a very nice guy to chat with.

12. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

Duveen, that is an impressive list of shoe stores. There is one that is conspicuous by its absence. Are you boycotting Lobb?
    Not boycotting Lobb - I honestly didn't think of them b/c grand mesure is well beyond my means. But I may just peek in the window. BTW, the predominance of shoe stores is a product both of my interests and of available info on the forums (which skews towards the foot). I just don't know as much about the (surely) numerous purveyors of fine tailored clothing. Assuming I am not interested in the 'pure business' stuff like Lanvin, is there anywhere else to recommend for tailored clothing/sportswear? I've heard that Faconnable is different in France - is that worth a visit? Any other Arnys-level hidden gems? Good bets for unusual/cool sportswear? Any Italian outposts not found in the US (I've been to Borrelli boutiques in SF and NYC, Kiton, etc)? Any mainstream designer shops that are notable for their beauty (as was the oft-lamented Dunhill boutique at Rue de la Paix)?

13. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

Not boycotting Lobb - I honestly didn't think of them b/c grand mesure is well beyond my means.
    What about their RTW?

I would argue that Cape Cod (Marc Guyot's place) is a "Arnys-level hidden gem", but the shop is tiny and not at all interesting in itself if that is what you are looking for.

14. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

What about their RTW? I would argue that Cape Cod (Marc Guyot's place) is a "Arnys-level hidden gem", but the shop is tiny and not at all interesting in itself if that is what you are looking for.
    Étienne - my apologies - I didn't react more to your suggestion (other than to add it to my already-lengthy list) b/c Guyot was a great suggestion and already on my radar. As with Lobb, it was a silly oversight to leave Marc out. Plus, unlike Lobb, I could potentially afford his shoes! For the record, I'd put Guyot with Altan, Albaladejo, Duret and a few others as even-more-hidden-than-Arnys, which is actually fairly well-known. BTW, do Parisians have recommendations for the best European equivalent to 'Mapquest' and 'Google Maps'. Is there an online site where one can actually use pushpins to set out a whole itinerary for Europe? I know that this capability exists in the US, but only through software. I'd love to map out the locations of these folks. I am familiar with Pages Jaunes and feel that I can likely get the addresses down. I am looking for a mapping function that can store multiple locations, if possible.

15. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

Étienne - my apologies - I didn't react more to your suggestion (other than to add it to my already-lengthy list) b/c Guyot was a great suggestion and already on my radar. As with Lobb, it was a silly oversight to leave Marc out. Plus, unlike Lobb, I could potentially afford his shoes! For the record, I'd put Guyot with Altan, Albaladejo, Duret and a few others as even-more-hidden-than-Arnys, which is actually fairly well-known.

I am familiar with Pages Jaunes and feel that I can likely get the addresses down. I am looking for a mapping function that can store multiple locations, if possible.

Mapquest has a France site. Click on the outside of US & Canada function and use the dropdown to choose France.

Carmina aka Abaladejo is great. I bought a pair of shoes there yesterday morning before leaving to return back to Boston. They are open till 8:00 pm as well which is nice. Finsbury and Loding are a few blocks north, still on l'Opera as well.

You might want to check out Breuer if you like there stuff. I happen to. Other stores are agnes b homme. I believe they have a location behind Les Halles. APC is really cool as well (rue de fleurus). There is a Dore-Dore store on Ste Germain.

I have a map at home which has stores (as well as restaurants/hotels) listed. I will check it out tonight and see what else would be good to hit. I breezed through there on a few days and still managed to hit everything I wanted to.