• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best city for shopping?

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I plan on some traveling soon.I want some input on where's the best metro's for men to shop.

Pink22m

Reaction score
The last time I checked, San Francisco and Los Angeles were not suburbs of each other. Give both cities their own choices.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No Italian cities?? Milan? Rome? I did not know Sydney was such a hotbed of men's style
smile.gif

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was only allowed ten so I grouped San Fran and L.A together I'm quite aware they arent even all that close to each other.
How did I forget Italy thats a huge overlook.I threw sydney in just to throw a Austailian city in but on second thought it wasn't that smart.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is any place in the world like new york city; it really feels like the "center of the universe." Problem is, the prices and taxes are very high-- you'd be better off shopping in Milan or Rome, I think, to get a better bang for your buck.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add my two cents.I'll admit I'm not well traveled.But from the cities on the list, NY definitely has the best shopping.Has something for everyone and every well know brand/ designer has a store there.Plus the best opportunitys for discouts.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll lay it down for Chi-Town.  Maybe I'm just partial because I live an hour and a half away, but they offer 90% of the big stores NY does (Neiman Marcus, Barney's, Saks, Gucci, Zegna, Ferragamo, Prada, Giorgio Armani, Hermes, Bvlgari, Cartier) as well as many smaller specialty stores.  They also have a good selection of discount stores.

Also, on a side note, I went to the Marshall Field's on State St. in Chicago last weekend.  I was so surprised.  The best brands the M.Fields near my house carries are Polo RL, Joseph Abboud, and Kenneth Cole.  Those were the cheapest brands I saw at this Field's.  Great Selection of brands like Helmut Lang, Marc Jacobs, Varvatos, Armani, Boss, Dolce & Gabbana, D&G, Diesel, PDC, DSquared2, and many other top names.  They also had many nice clearance racks at 40-60% off.

**Edit** An older salesman told me this is the largest retail clothing store in the world. 2 Million+ square feet and seven huge floors. He said with the exception of Harrods, it is the largest department store in the world.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
I was torn between the Big Apple and the Big Onion, but I'm more familiar with New York, so my vote went that way.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for sheer selection, new york gets the nod. but... i had to throw in a vote for l.a./san francisco (i'm biased).

if you're looking for unknown, do-it-yourself  designers (who are actually hoping to create trends, rather than following them) l.a.'s the place. forget barneys and saks, and forget rodeo drive. i'm talking about silver lake, west hollywood, even mid-wilshire and santa monica. try the stores you've never heard of with labels you've never heard of that have truely innovative styles.

itzamazing

Reaction score
**Edit**  An older salesman told me this is the largest retail clothing store in the world.  2 Million+ square feet and seven huge floors.  He said with the exception of Harrods, it is the largest department store in the world.
I always thought that Macy*s Herald Square held that title.

They used to have a huge poster outside the store proudly proclaiming itself as the world's largest department store.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
what's the big onion?
It's a nickname for Chicago. Â When the city was founded, there were swamps in the surrounding areas. Â These swamps supported a type of onion called Checagou by the natives. The word supposedly also means "something great."

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm talking about silver lake, west hollywood, even mid-wilshire and santa monica. try the stores you've never heard of with labels you've never heard of that have truely innovative styles

Agreed. For anyone in the L.A. area, check out the Charizmatik store (far east Melrose) for T's, and Grey Ant for laid back zaniness (if that makes any sense.) Actually, Barney's on Wilshire actually sometimes stocks some local designers in it's Co-op section, if you want some fashion-fascist stamp of approval, as does Traffic in the Beverly Center. A lot of L.A. stuff is very DIY with a rock-and-roll feel - think Margiela's artisanal pieces, but with the volume turned all the way to eleven - and you've got the idea for say, Great China Wall.

Incidentally, if you want to check out some innovative labels in the SF area, definitely visit fabric8.com.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just read an article along the line of this subject in the Economist. It was a survey on the fashion industry.
It wasn't the same because it was more from a business aspect. In the survey they determined that Paris was above N.Y and Milan because it housed headquarters for more prestige's fashion houses or companies. Considering the fact that LMVH and the owner of the Gucci group are headquartered there it makes sense

Brian SD

Reaction score
I'll lay it down for Chi-Town. Maybe I'm just partial because I live an hour and a half away, but they offer 90% of the big stores NY does (Neiman Marcus, Barney's, Saks, Gucci, Zegna, Ferragamo, Prada, Giorgio Armani, Hermes, Bvlgari, Cartier) as well as many smaller specialty stores. They also have a good selection of discount stores.

Also, on a side note, I went to the Marshall Field's on State St. in Chicago last weekend. I was so surprised. The best brands the M.Fields near my house carries are Polo RL, Joseph Abboud, and Kenneth Cole. Those were the cheapest brands I saw at this Field's. Great Selection of brands like Helmut Lang, Marc Jacobs, Varvatos, Armani, Boss, Dolce & Gabbana, D&G, Diesel, PDC, DSquared2, and many other top names. They also had many nice clearance racks at 40-60% off.

**Edit** An older salesman told me this is the largest retail clothing store in the world. 2 Million+ square feet and seven huge floors. He said with the exception of Harrods, it is the largest department store in the world.
I know, I went to that place a few months ago. It's amazing how huge it is - took me nearly a year to get to the men's section.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads